Zen to increase bandwidth allowances

Started by Tacitus, May 13, 2008, 19:10:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

Just noticed over on TBB, that Zen are to increase their allowances.  2Gb goes to 5gb/month and the 20Gb package goes to 25Gb/month. 

Very similar to iDNet.  I wonder if Simon and Tim will come up with a response when they have digested the new wholesale prices.

Rik

I'm sure they'll be studying them...
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

Interesting. I always thought Zen's allowances were on the low side, so it's a positive move I think. :)

Lance

I'd be surprised to see any change on IDNet prior to the new ADSL2 products being annouced - but I might be proved wrong!
Lance
_____

Rik

That's my sense too, Lance. The whole market is up for change right now, it makes sense to deal with it as an entity.
Rik
--------------------

Lona

Did Zen do that just to annoy me.  ;D   I only moved here as I kept going over my limit. :'(

I have to admit Zen are one of the really best ISPs I've ever been with.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Simon

You've still got a higher allowance here than with Zen though, Lona.  ;)
Simon.
--

Lona

Quote from: Simon on May 13, 2008, 23:22:25
You've still got a higher allowance here than with Zen though, Lona.  ;)

I appreciate that Simon, but now I have Rik keeping me from  my gardening with all these quizes. ;)

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Sebby

madasahatter

Quote from: Lona on May 13, 2008, 23:24:50
I appreciate that Simon, but now I have Rik keeping me from  my gardening with all these quizes. ;)

He often keeps me away from my chores on a weekend too Lona - that man has a lot to answer for  ;)

Lona

Quote from: madasahatter on May 14, 2008, 00:16:31
He often keeps me away from my chores on a weekend too Lona - that man has a lot to answer for  ;)

Yep, I think we should tell him to put on his blue suede shoes and go walk the blues.

Rik

You'll be pleased to hear that I have a small design project to do today, so I won't be around as much as normal. :)
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Lance on May 13, 2008, 19:37:50
I'd be surprised to see any change on IDNet prior to the new ADSL2 products being announced ......

When's that likely to be? 

Rik

You'd have to ask them, Tac, but my guess is the autumn.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on May 14, 2008, 08:33:26
You'd have to ask them, Tac, but my guess is the autumn.

My current 12 months with Demon runs out late autumn so it would be worth waiting to see what's on offer.  OTOH I doubt ADSL2 is likely to be much advantage to me being on a poor line. 

Slight excursion.  I've tried the MW radio trick and if I move it near to the router I get a lot of noise.  Is this normal?

Rik

Quote from: Tacitus on May 14, 2008, 08:37:05
OTOH I doubt ADSL2 is likely to be much advantage to me being on a poor line. 

Me neither, I'm at that point on the graph where the two lines converge. :sigh:

QuoteSlight excursion.  I've tried the MW radio trick and if I move it near to the router I get a lot of noise.  Is this normal?

It's not uncommon, but it would be worth trying another router if you can borrow one, to see whether it improves matters.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

I wonder if it is the router trying to filter out some of the noise?
Lance
_____

Sebby

Routers do tend to be noisy, so it's probably nothing to be concerned about.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on May 14, 2008, 08:42:07
It's not uncommon, but it would be worth trying another router if you can borrow one, to see whether it improves matters.

Thanks for the tip.  The only other working one I have is a Draytek which I abandoned as it was rubbish on a poor line.  Still I'll give it a try.

Since my main socket is up in the roof - I live in a bungalow - I might try having a modem up in the roof and a separate firewall downstairs.  It means some more wiring but that shouldn't be a problem.  For my purposes - I'd probably be called a SOHO user - the separate firewalls have a higher than necessary complexity.  Since they're aimed at the SME market this is no surprise, but it's probably overkill nonetheless. 

OTOH if it gives me a better connection perhaps it's worth it.  The modem should be well away from interference and any wiring will be Cat5. 

Trouble is keep trying this and that, you end up with a shed full of routers, an empty wallet and probably not much further forward with the broadband.  If only BT would get off their collective a...e and redo the cables through the village it would make a huge difference. 

Rik

If you're anywhere near me, I can lend you one.

BT cables I can't help with. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on May 14, 2008, 12:16:06
If you're anywhere near me, I can lend you one.

BT cables I can't help with. ;)

Thanks for the offer Rik, but I'm about 100 miles north of you - assuming you're in/near MK.

Rik

I'm in MK, right in it. ;) I could post one to you, but that wouldn't be until Friday, as Sue is away till then...
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on May 14, 2008, 12:42:43
I'm in MK, right in it. ;) I could post one to you, but that wouldn't be until Friday, as Sue is away till then...

Thanks Rik.  I'll give my nephew a ring as I think he might have a spare d-Link knocking around.  He's only about 10 miles away.

Thanks for the offer though - it's very kind of you  :)

OT.  I keep meaning to go and see Bletchley Park - the code breaking place, and might actually get there this summer.  Is it far from MK?

Rik

No, it's within the conurbation, just about, at the south-west end. We're at the NW, about 15 minutes away.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on May 14, 2008, 12:56:33
No, it's within the conurbation, just about, at the south-west end. We're at the NW, about 15 minutes away.

Thanks Rik - doesn't sound as far away as I thought.