The free laptop is a great incentive - if you can get it

Started by Noreen, May 17, 2008, 11:00:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

I do it out of habit. ;) But not, ever, Tiscali et al.  ;D
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

MoHux

We can all help the ones who are unlikely to have a problem.   ::)

Mo
:)
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Tacitus

Quote from: MoHux on May 18, 2008, 22:01:33

True enough - why do you think we recommend iDNet et al  ;D

Still, I wouldn't want to come across as a miserable sod who isn't prepared to help.   :)

Nonetheless, when you get peeps knocking on your door at 10pm (it has happened), because either "the computer's gone wrong" or the "internet is gone", the milk of human kindness does start to run a little thin.  Inevitably this happens when you've had one of those days you'd rather forget.   :shake:

And when you realise the problem is something you explained in detail and fixed last week, your enthusiasm does head further south at a rate of knots. 

Rik

Quote from: MoHux on May 18, 2008, 22:01:33

I've been helping others since the formation of Beebug in 1984, Mo. There comes a time, however, when patience evaporates as I'm asked to fix the same problem for the 10th time because "My friend knows all about computers and he changed..."

Like Tac, I've had people turn up at 10 with a problem, and they've left with a working machine, only to phone me an hour later because the problem came back when they installed some software which I'd told them not to use. Of course, they didn't backup or set a system restore etc etc etc.

I'll gladly give people help - but there have to be limits.

Rik
--------------------

MoHux

But you two aren't unique!  Anyone who advertises to friends/family that they are at all computer savvy, is at some time or other in situations such as you mention.

It is how it's dealt with that matters.

Mo
:)

"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Tacitus

Quote from: MoHux on May 19, 2008, 22:00:42
Anyone who advertises to friends/family that they are at all computer savvy, .....

I don't advertise that I'm computer savvy and never have for the reasons we've discussed.  Unfortunately word got out, and being a helpful sort I, well, helped.  Fame, or notoriety if you prefer, is something I can do without, certainly as regards computing  :)

Easy answer is to buy a Mac (and/or enjoy the stability of Linux) and claim ignorance about Windows.   ;D

Quote from: MoHux on May 19, 2008, 22:00:42
It is how it's dealt with that matters.

TBH, I can't see how Rik or myself could do any differently.  You don't want to fall out with the neighbours, but you don't wish to end up using most of your leisure time as unpaid tech support for people who keep repeating the same mistakes over and over despite what you tell them.  You also find yourself competing against the bloke up the road who says they should do x, y or z, and, in effect tells them you don't know what you are doing.  Short answer (expletives deleted), go and see the other bloke....

What would you suggest?

Rik

I'm with you, Tac. If they have an 'expert' who broke the machine for them, let him fix it...
Rik
--------------------

Simon

What annoys me is the lack of gratitude some people also show.  I have a cousin who emails me with a problem, and I only hear back from him if my suggestion doesn't work.  No such thing as a 'thanks' when it does.  I don't reply so readily now.
Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

The most unbeleivable such call I've had was from an ex girlfriend a couple or so weeks after we'd split up (not my choice). She rang up pretending to be concerned about how I was going on, when the call was really about problems with her PC and what she should do about them.  :o

Imagine the satisfaction I got from telling her what I thought she should do about them (can't reproduce the conversation here - I'd get banned straight off ;)), and slamming the phone down.  :thumb:

Rik

Now that is pushing it, Mad.  :mad: Of course, there was another way you could have handled the call. ;)
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

What? You mean killing it altogether? The thought did cross my mind, but I'm not a nasty hoob >:D

Rik

I think it might have gone "Double-click on My Computer, now right-click on the drive labelled C and choose format from the menu - that will fix it!" with me.  >:D
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on May 20, 2008, 18:53:56
I think it might have gone "Double-click on My Computer, now right-click on the drive labelled C and choose format from the menu - that will fix it!" with me.  >:D

I sometimes wish I had to be honest  ;)

Simon

Quote from: Rik on May 20, 2008, 18:53:56

Technically, that wouldn't actually work, would it?  I don't think Windows would allow the drive with the OS to be formatted.  :)
Simon.
--

madasahatter

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

It won't let you format it because it's in use. ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rik

Brave man, Sebby - I certainly wasn't going to test it. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

I knew from past experience, so I wasn't brave today. :P

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Simon

Quote from: Sebby on May 21, 2008, 19:06:52
It won't let you format it because it's in use. ;)

That's what I meant, but you put it better, Seb.  :)
Simon.
--