Mozilla phancies doing a Phorm

Started by Noreen, May 19, 2008, 18:37:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

QuoteThe Phorm bug is spreading. The idea of collecting a user's browsing history and flogging that data doesn't just appeal to ISPs. The Mozilla Foundation, the people behind the Firefox browser, want some of that action too.................
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/19/firefox_data_snoop/

Rik

QuoteCryptome puts it more succinctly - "Firefox Ponders Suicide".

Couldn't agree more. If they go ahead, I'll be gone...
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

ST Driver

Quote from: Rik on May 19, 2008, 18:39:29

to some place nice and hot? :whistle:
Steve
Grandad Racer

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Same here. IE isn't that bad... :P

I think Opera's a serious alternative.

Ray

Me also.  :out:
Ray
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Simon

That's quite worrying!  Opera might be a feasible alternative, but last I heard, it was getting more bloated than Firefox.  Hope IE8's good!   :whistle:
Simon.
--

Lance

Well, IE7 was a step in the right direction, so IE8 should be almost there!
Lance
_____

Dazbobaby

what's more amazing are the people who use firefox are tech savvy people. Thats a loss of almost all users world wide if they do go ahead.

Tacitus

Quote from: Lance on May 19, 2008, 21:22:41
Well, IE7 was a step in the right direction, so IE8 should be almost there!

We've been hearing this, "...next version is the one which will fix everything and even make the tea..." from MS since the days of DOS3.  I'm surprised anyone still believes them.   :laugh:

madasahatter

Quote from: Dazbobaby on May 22, 2008, 05:37:44
what's more amazing are the people who use firefox are tech savvy people. Thats a loss of almost all users world wide if they do go ahead.

Yeah - but how many of those users actually give mozilla any money, so how much of a loss would they actually be?  >:D

Rik

In which case, why do they produce it in the first place? Mozilla are not without money...
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on May 22, 2008, 10:58:35
In which case, why do they produce it in the first place? Mozilla are not without money...

That's true Rik, and obviously there is the cachet of being able to say that your product is ised by X thousand or X million users, but I was just trying to say that Mozilla wouldn't actually lose anything if a load of peeps stopped using FF since they are not really gaining anything from all those users in the first place.

Rik

Well, the gain from the Google clicks of course, and from the merchandise. If FF was abandoned, then I think they could have major problems. Simple answer, to me, is that they invite donation or sell it.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

I wonder if this will affect SeaMonkey?  As it's now independent from Mozilla, I would hope not, which would make it a very viable alternative to Firefox.
Simon.
--

Rik

What it says on the website would give me pause for thought, Simon:

SeaMonkey and the SeaMonkey logo are registered trademarks of the Mozilla Foundation.

Portions of this content are © 1998–2008 by individual mozilla.org contributors; content available under a Creative Commons license
Rik
--------------------

Simon

I think the actual suite is being developed independently, Rik, but still carries the Mozilla badge.  It will be interesting to see what happens.
Simon.
--

Rik

I guess it's a 'watch this space'...
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

scook94

Good reading on this here...

http://john.jubjubs.net/2008/05/13/mozilla-firefox-data/

"Rudiger, Tom, tekonaut, nobody plans to make this spyware, I tried to make it clear that we'd only do this by figuring out a way to be very very opt-in, the data would be open to everyone, and not personal in any way. That's why we're talking about it in the very early stages as we explore the space.

I hear your concerns; take them very seriously. Feedback is what we're after."
Steven
--------

Simon

Seems that the general feeling is that they can take a running jump if they introduce tracking data.  I'm not even sure I would trust a 'very very opt-in' system, as how does one know for certain that you haven't been 'opted-in' without your knowledge?
Simon.
--

scook94

Steven
--------

madasahatter

Quote from: Simon on May 22, 2008, 21:12:09
Seems that the general feeling is that they can take a running jump if they introduce tracking data.  I'm not even sure I would trust a 'very very opt-in' system, as how does one know for certain that you haven't been 'opted-in' without your knowledge?

I'm sure that I wouldn't trust it Simon - it'd be back to Opera for me before you could say hoobygalooby  :)