Selfish? I don't think so

Started by Rik, May 24, 2008, 15:34:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

According to the BBC "Web users are getting more ruthless and selfish when they go online, reveals research.

The annual report into web habits by usability guru Jakob Nielsen shows people are becoming much less patient when they go online.

Instead of dawdling on websites many users want simply to reach a site quickly, complete a task and leave.

Most ignore efforts to make them linger and are suspicious of promotions designed to hold their attention."

That's selfish and ruthless? Not in my book.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Nor mine Rik, quite sensible..  ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Lance

I agree Rik. I don't go on a site just to look around (other than here and the BBC news). Most of the time I go on a site with a purpose, complete that purpose, and leave!
Lance
_____

Rik

Sloppy emotive reporting, imo.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Par for the course just recently for the Beeb, their ticker on BBC News is full of errors. :o
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

I wonder how much they pay these people, whose grasp of the language is so poor?
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

I'm not to sure Rik.

( Beeb Spelling ) ;)

Sebby

Quote from: Rik on May 24, 2008, 15:34:10
According to the BBC "Web users are getting more ruthless and selfish when they go online, reveals research.

It sounds like it's just made up to me, or certain the results have been massaged. :shake:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Sebby on May 24, 2008, 17:12:04
It sounds like it's just made up to me, or certain the results have been massaged. :shake:

It's crazy, if anything it's being more considerate by not using resources we're not interested in.
Rik
--------------------

Malc

Quote from: Rik on May 24, 2008, 15:34:10

Most ignore efforts to make them linger

That's selfish and ruthless? Not in my book.

And I've been lingering here for 34 days  :eek4:

Noreen

After reading the entire article it seems to make sense to me. He's not condemning the internet user but the web sites. Perhaps the word "selfish" is a bit emotive but otherwise what he says is true, people can't be bothered with all the clutter.

Malc

Quote from: Noreen on May 24, 2008, 17:48:57
, people can't be bothered with all the clutter.

That accounts for about 10,000 of my posts then  :D

Rik

Quote from: Noreen on May 24, 2008, 17:48:57
Perhaps the word "selfish" is a bit emotive but otherwise what he says is true, people can't be bothered with all the clutter.

I agree, Noreen, but to use the terms ruthless and selfish in the opening paragraph of the report seemed both emotive and irrelevant to what was actually said.
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Well, it got your attention, Rik. :laugh:

Rik

True.

"Dear Director-General..." ;D
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Don't really understand the point of this story at all - so peeps know how to use the internet a lot better than they did a few years ago - how is that news, or worthy of an article about it? The use of the words ruthless and selfish is ridiculous, and in no way anything to do with what the article is actually about.

A complete non story in my book - take it they were slow on news and needed something to fill their space and time.

Rik

I believe the News of the World is running it as a front page story tomorrow, Mad, complete with a picture of a donkey! ;)
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on May 24, 2008, 18:10:37
I believe the News of the World is running it as a front page story tomorrow, Mad, complete with a picture of a donkey! ;)

:lol:

Sounds about right  ;)