How long ???

Started by Inactive, Nov 13, 2006, 14:37:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Inactive

How long does it normally take to get connected to IDNet from another ISP using a valid MAC Code.?

Many thanks for any advice.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Three days in my case, I've seen others up to a week. It's very much down to BT.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Nerval

Yes,  they normally say 3 working days if you're on BT, or 8 working days if you're on LLU.
That is once you've handed over your MAC.

zimmerframe

When I joined, I gave my MAC to IDNet on Friday and was active the following Wednesday :)  That was with a BT line.

If The World Didnt Suck, We'd all Fall Off

Nerval

sounds like 3 working days then  :laugh:
I gave mine on a Sunday and went live on the Thursday.

BassoProfundo

Yup, me 2. Gave my MAC on Monday morning, switchover happened before 2am on Thursday morning. Fabulous.

VaderDSL

About three days here also.

I have to say migration is probably the best thing to happen to broadband, with IDNet coming a close second.

Inactive

Thanks guys, I got my answer via email a short while ago, I go live  before 6.00pm on Thursday 16th November, so you all seem to about right.

I can't wait to be away from Plusnet now.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

maxping

I felt the same about Freedom2surf  ;)

LadFromWales85

Freedom2Surf rocked in the good ol' days :(

maxping

Yep until they were bought out and the shaping was introduced, and who was it that bought them and ruined a once decent ISP?

ou7shined

Quote from: Inactive on Nov 13, 2006, 23:33:40
Thanks guys, I got my answer via email a short while ago, I go live  before 6.00pm on Thursday 16th November, so you all seem to about right.

I can't wait to be away from Plusnet now.

Hey! Me too! We could be like switch-over-buddies. :)  Don't listen to me, it's just the euphoria knowing that I'm leaving PN too.
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Inactive

Quote from: ou7shined on Nov 14, 2006, 02:23:30
Hey! Me too! We could be like switch-over-buddies. :)  Don't listen to me, it's just the euphoria knowing that I'm leaving PN too.

Did they offer you a free month to stay?

ou7shined

They sure did. They could have offered a year for free and I'd have still said no.
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Nerval

Quote from: Inactive on Nov 14, 2006, 02:31:26
Did they offer you a free month to stay?

That seems to be standard now with them.
The amazing thing is that even people who are leaving because the service is virtually unusable accept the free month and stay with Plusnet till the month's over - and continue to post on the forum complaining about the service.  The mention of "free" seems to wave aside all reason. :laugh:

Rik

Too many people stop at the word free, and don't think beyond it. Nothing is free, you end up paying in pain or cash somehow.

Interestingly, according to the BBC this morning, uSwitch says that people are not happy with their free BB. This is the same uSwitch which was recommending TalkTalk in the recent BBC TV programme!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6145738.stm

Rik
--------------------

BassoProfundo

... and the same uSwitch that are now saying that Tiscal are in the top three customer-satisfaction-wise. For those in-the-know, they have lost all credibility. Sadly, it's not those "in-the-know" that end up getting ensnared by such companies.

Rik

Couldn't agree with you more, they are one of several such companies that present themselves as impartial, yet work on commissions. I'm surprised that they haven't transgressed some piece of consumer legislation, but it appears not.  :(
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Impartial  ..    :laugh:

They are only " impartial " to companies that pay them..  ???

Rik

True enough, but why are they not required to state that they receive commision? This is an area of consumer legislation that needs tightening.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Back to the topic... :laugh:

As I have said elsewhere, I should be connected on Thursday of this week.

Basic question?

Will I need to do anything to my modem/ router, apart from reboot.

My Modem Router is a BT 2100.

Thanks.

maxping

If i remember right i just changed the username and password for my then usb modem and that was it.

Rik

That should be all, easiest way is to create a new connectoid from scratch. Some fine tuning of MTU and RWIN may be needed for optimum performance.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

OK, Thanks muchly...should be sometime tomorrow, so I have printed off the welcome email, will let you know how it goes....hopefully....  :)

Nerval

Usually in the early hours, so certainly should be up by breakfast time   :laugh: :laugh:

All I did was change my ID/password on the router before I turned off the computer for the night, then at 6 next morning when I turned it on, it just connected to IDNet and that was it.