ADSL2+ Pricing.

Started by Cookiemonster, May 27, 2008, 14:14:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookiemonster

Just had a look over on ADSL24 forums and i see they have published there ADSL2+ pricing list now. From what i can make of it it seems good value for money, though not sure about there new off peak times..
QuoteOff-peak is defined as 1am to 7am seven days a week
:dunno:

Take a look Here

I have another year anyway before i can sample 20Mb speeds anyway  :rant2:

madasahatter

I'm sure those off peak times are reduced from what they used to be - peak being up to 1am sounds a little OTT to me.

Cookiemonster

Yeah there off peak was 10pm-8am, but it was never unlimited. So now at 1am every man and his dog will be pounding their central's to within braking point. I wonder how long the "unlimited" off peak will last if some with the full 24Mb Sync can potentially download Terabytes of data on a monthly basis :eyebrow:

madasahatter

I suspect that the words "up to" are going to come in very handy, as they do on the current max packages - it's probably only a very small percentage of peeps who will be able to get anywhere near that speed.

Wonder when the proximity to the exchange is gonna start affecting house prices  >:D

Cookiemonster

Thats a very good point indeed!

Lance

It's something I will be looking at when I move house, although it won't be the deciding factor!
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Cookiemonster

I'm fortunate that the village i live in has the exchange slap bang in the middle and everyone within the village is within a 1.5 mile radius. ;D....myself 700m as the crow flies :whistle:

However the peeps in the other village 5 miles away are not so happy as they are served via this exchange too!!

madasahatter

Quote from: Cookiemonster on May 27, 2008, 14:56:04
I'm fortunate that the village i live in has the exchange slap bang in the middle and everyone within the village is within a 1.5 mile radius. ;D....myself 700m as the crow flies :whistle:

However the peeps in the other village 5 miles away are not so happy as they are served via this exchange too!!

I'm kind of in the other villages situation where I live - the exchange that services my village is in a town approx 3 miles away  :(

doc_holiday

Quote from: madasahatter on May 27, 2008, 14:36:21
I'm sure those off peak times are reduced from what they used to be - peak being up to 1am sounds a little OTT to me.

Currently off peak included weekends, which means the download brigade really pounds their centrals not just at night, but during the weekend particularly later in the day.

For the most part, most users won't care because the Entanet ALT system just slows everyone's maximum throughput (essentially divides up all the capacity equally among users on a central).  However, I don't like it because it makes video conferencing and VoIP a bit choppy at times.  It's not intolerable, just a bit of a nuisance.  Elsewise, I don't care if a download takes a bit more time... it just might be the time I need to go get a cuppa!  ;) 

This is why I am on a course to move to an ISP that has a lower cap 24/7 and fairs better during these busy periods.  In all fairness, the Entanet system has been pretty brilliant and creative in giving users the ability to use up excess capacity after hours, but it does come with a few short comings.

Sebby

I think those prices look very reasonable. Whether or not the this new product through Entanet's network will suffer like the current one does at peak time remains to be seen. I imagine they've changed the definition of peak time for this exact reason. I'd say it's far less likely for there to be a massive slowdown at 1am like there is at 10pm currently.

plugwash

Quote from: madasahatter on May 27, 2008, 14:47:22
Wonder when the proximity to the exchange is gonna start affecting house prices  >:D
I dunno, if you really wan't the extra speed there are options availible like bonded adsl (either through multilink ppp or through connecting to some kind of gateway out on the internet).