What Broadband Hardware can i use?

Started by p381, Nov 15, 2006, 11:25:04

Previous topic - Next topic

p381

I'm thinking of migrating from Tiscali, but not sure what hardware i can use for Idnet home Broadband.

Do i have to use the Thomson Speedtouch hardware recommended by Idnet or are there any others i can use?

Thanks. :)

Rik

Almost any ADSL hardware is suitable. I would recommend you move to a router rather than a modem though, you gain a lot of extra security, less power drain on the PC and less work for the CPU.

The Netgear range are very easy to setup, and Miriam likes them. Others to consider are Speedtouch and the pre-configured one you can get from IDNet - though you'll probably have a couple of dozen recommendations for others shortly.  :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Nerval

I agree with Rik, get a router and not a USB modem.

I've tried Solwise/Billion, Sagecom/Origo and finally the Netgear DG834 (wired version as I don't like wireless, but there is a wireless version if you must).

For the beginner, the Netgear is ideal, as it sets itself up when you connect it and is very easy to set for port forwarding (P2P and the like).
I also found that its increased sensitivity over the other two gave me 30% extra speed on my MAX line.

There are hundreds out there though - and if you have a good line, most will do the job.

You can also look for recommendations on www.adslguide.org where they have a section reviewing hardware.

Rik

Couldn't have put it better myself.  ;)
Rik
--------------------

lukester

Having said all that, the usb modem that you got supplied from tiscali when you signed up with them can also be used, you may however, need to reinstall the drivers when you connect to idnet

maxping

P381 welcome to the forums.

I use a modem/router but i also  use a speedtouch usb modem when testing pc's as most people are given one when they sign up for BB.
I have always found it reliable and just as fast as my router.
As Rik says they do put a bit more strain on resources but if you have a modern pc and don't want to set up a network i would stick to the usb modem and save some cash.

Rik

Mind you, if people do use a USB modem, I recommend running it off a powered hub, as most draw the full 500mA.
Rik
--------------------

maxping

Rik i have read many threads about dropped connections and usb modems and they can be a PITA, i have never suffered with the power problem , i think certain mobos are more prone to this than others.

Rik

You're absolutely right, of course, but I take the view that removing the power issue from the equation never does any harm, and I've yet to see a negative impact from using a hub with a modem. I do make an exception when wandering about to try the test socket, but not for too long.  :)
Rik
--------------------