What is likely to be going on?

Started by Ann, May 29, 2008, 00:12:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Ann

After a few months of lowered speed with a 6336 synch and 15db noise margin.. on Saturday at about 7:30 in the morning everything suddenly went dead.. IE wouldn't do anything etc so I checked the router stats pronto to find by the time I got there and everything was back to good, that synch speed was up to 7200 and noise margin at 12db.  Same happened yesterday.. everything died and checking again.. synch is at 7616 and noise margin at 11db and it's still the same today.  So what the hell is happening?  My line is suddenly regaining its composure!  Don't you just love the instability of the internet!

Rik

It sounds like BT engineering work, Ann. I've experienced something very similar myself when they were working on the cables locally.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

Well, it's nice to see things improving, rather than worsening! It does sound like BT have changed something; my guess would be that they messed something up, and have fixed it (probably inadvertently) during WBC preparations. :)

doc_holiday

Quote from: Ann on May 29, 2008, 00:12:06
After a few months of lowered speed with a 6336 synch and 15db noise margin.. on Saturday at about 7:30 in the morning everything suddenly went dead.. IE wouldn't do anything etc so I checked the router stats pronto to find by the time I got there and everything was back to good, that synch speed was up to 7200 and noise margin at 12db.  Same happened yesterday.. everything died and checking again.. synch is at 7616 and noise margin at 11db and it's still the same today.  So what the hell is happening?  My line is suddenly regaining its composure!  Don't you just love the instability of the internet!

I have seen a gradual decrease in sync speeds, so I have done a bit of maintenance on my end to make sure that I am doing everything that I can.  The trouble is, you don't know what is happening beyond your home and up the road into the exchange.  Glad it is going the right direction for you.  I wouldn't mind it that happened here! ::)

Inactive

I got my fastest recorded speed ever at DSL Zone last night, OK, not an exact science, but comparitively good.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Ann

Well synch speed is still at 7616 and noise margin is down to 10 now.  I guess Sebby is right and they have fixed something and the noise margin is gradually reducing.. where will it end.. good ol' BT, full of surprises.

Sebby

Absolutely, Ann. Still, I'm very glad that things have improved for you. :)