Home networking advice

Started by vitriol, Jun 04, 2008, 09:32:47

Previous topic - Next topic

vitriol

Hello all,

I've recently decided to re arrange my pc / networking equipment (read the wife decided for me) and I need a little advice.

My BT master socket is in my bedroom which is where my Netgear DG834GT wireless router resides.  My PC will be going downstairs in the room next to the living room.  I really don't fancy laying loads of Cat5 through the house, or using the wireless to connect to the network, so I'm looking for some of those homeplug devices.

From my research so far, it seems that they have different speed ratings. i.e 14Mbps / 54Mbps etc...

Any users here can recommend a particular brand / type?  Would it be better going for a faster plug? As ADSL2+ is round the corner?

I play alot of games so latency is important, any gamers use these and has there been any noticeable increase in ping times? 

Thanks in advance

Inactive

I use Dynamode ones, however I don't play any games, all that I can say is that they are 100% reliable and an absolute doddle to set up, simply plug and play. :thumb:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

psp83

Quote from: Inactive on Jun 04, 2008, 09:39:34
I use Dynamode ones, however I don't play any games, all that I can say is that they are 100% reliable and an absolute doddle to set up, simply plug and play. :thumb:

Whats your ping times? Also what speed do you get over homeplugs, even though it may say 54mbps but you never get that..

Posting this info will give an idea what playing games would be like using homeplugs..

I've read that most 54mbps homeplugs run around 24/32mbps and depends on the house electrical setup.

Sebby

Ultimately, most of the plugs will be faster than your connection, even ADSL2+. I'm not sure about pings, but I'd say they're probably not majorly affected.