Ofcom asks ISP's nicely....

Started by Inactive, Jun 06, 2008, 09:16:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Inactive

...to stop misleading the public.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/05/ofcom_broadband_code_practice/

I note that IDNet have not signed up to this voluntary code, see link about two thirds down page.

Now I am sure IDNet have never even attempted to mis-sell anything, so why havn't they signed up ??

OK, I know that it is, as usual, just a voluntary code, with no actual teeth, no surprise there, this is OFCOM..edy after all. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Simon_idnet

Hi In

We have signed-up, just waiting on Ofcom to updage their website.
Simon

Malc

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Jun 06, 2008, 10:42:44
Hi In

Simon

Great stuff.  :thumb:

Quote from: Inactive on Jun 06, 2008, 09:16:07
I note that IDNet have not signed up to this voluntary code

:buttkick: :tongue: :tongue:   ;)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

I can't imagine the big players being honest. Okay, they might make more of a point that speed depends on distance from the exchange, but what about their side of things? Will they be honest and say they don't have enough capacity? I doubt it. :P

Malc

And will they be honest and admit 'unlimited' means no limits, not 1 gig per month DL :mad:

Rik

Quote from: Sebby on Jun 06, 2008, 11:19:42
I can't imagine the big players being honest.

I can't see how they can be, if they are, they will lose any new customers. Enta could do OK from it though. :)
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Malc on Jun 06, 2008, 11:21:18
And will they be honest and admit 'unlimited' means no limits, not 1 gig per month DL :mad:

To me, that is the most important thing - ISPs are allowed to advertise connections as unlimited when they are, in reality, anything but - it is this that ofcom should be working on rather than speed.

Let's face it, the problem with actual speeds against speeds advertised is generally that peeps who know no better totally ignore the words "up to" in the connection description, or don't know what they mean and can't be bothered to find out. That's no ones fault but theirs imo. They see the up to 8M, ignore the " up to" and think that they will get 8M - of course those in the know, know better, and it is not the ISPs fault - the "up to" in the description is, imo, clear enough, and at the end of the day a lot of slow speeds are not the ISPs fault - it's BT and their totally outdated infrastructure.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Jun 06, 2008, 10:42:44
Hi In

Simon

Thanks Simon,  :thumb:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.