Action urged on broadband future

Started by Simon, Jun 09, 2008, 18:17:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Moving to the next generation of broadband technology could deliver huge economic rewards, says a report.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7440246.stm
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

1p on income tax should do the job. :)
Rik
--------------------

kinmel

The will probably start a Byte Tax and tax internet use   :mad:
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

doc_holiday

Quote from: Simon on Jun 09, 2008, 18:17:01
Moving to the next generation of broadband technology could deliver huge economic rewards, says a report.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7440246.stm

It is amazing what has been achieved in this country over the last ten years in regard to becoming wired. I hope our government and business leaders can find a way to continue this trend with fibre.

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Jun 09, 2008, 18:19:40
1p on income tax should do the job. :)

Only if that 1p is ringfenced - unfortunately it wouldn't be, and it will just disappear into the bottomless tax pit  >:D

The thing is, tbh, I do not see why we should have to pay for it in taxes - BT makes more than enough profits to invest - as they are virtually the only ones that can do it, they should be the ones to do it. All this "we need to know if we can get our money back" is ridiculous - andyone with any common sense knows that they will be able to. They should be saying "really we can't be bothered when we can just sit back and watch millions flowing in without any effort as they do at present  :mad:

Rik

I have some sympathy with them, Mad. Ofcom, once they'd made the investment, would probably set a pricing level for access by other companies which would make the return on the investment inadequate.
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Jun 10, 2008, 11:08:56
I have some sympathy with them, Mad. Ofcom, once they'd made the investment, would probably set a pricing level for access by other companies which would make the return on the investment inadequate.

Then an agreeement should be reached with Ofcom before hand - it's not really rocket science is it? OTOH, to Ofcom it probably is  ;)

Rik

BT have already approached Ofcom on the subject, iirc.
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Jun 10, 2008, 11:18:30
BT have already approached Ofcom on the subject, iirc.

And the survey said?

Knowing Ofcom it would be absolute twaddle which a two year old would have known made no sense ;)

It does make a mockery of the whole existence of Ofcom is they themselves are responsible for stalling the growth of next gen broadband

Rik

I've not seen an Ofcom response, Mad. Essentially, BT were asking for pricing guarantees before they were prepared to commit to the investment.
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Jun 10, 2008, 11:26:54
I've not seen an Ofcom response, Mad. Essentially, BT were asking for pricing guarantees before they were prepared to commit to the investment.

Which seems pretty much sensible to me - obviously they are not gonna invest if Ofcom are gonna hold their prices down to unrealistic levels

Rik

Exactly. Ofcom, of course, seem more interested in looking after VM. :sigh:
Rik
--------------------