Vodafone hangs up on Tiscali auction

Started by Noreen, Jun 19, 2008, 11:31:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

QuoteVodafone has done an about-face on its ambition to acquire Tiscali's broadband punters, according to a report.

The mobile operator's lack of a sizeable UK fixed-line broadband business had put it in the lead to acquire Tiscali's two million British subscribers, but the Financial Times today reckons it won't happen...............
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/19/voda_tiscali_auction/

Rik

Perhaps the potential buyers have finally realised the reputation Tiscali have?  :eyebrow:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

QuoteBSkyB, Carphone and Wind declined to comment. Swisscom could not be reached.

Wonderful when you can't reach a comms company. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Wouldn't it be funny (and embarrassing) if in the end nobody wanted to buy it. :laugh:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Lance

Lance
_____

Sebby

I think someone could turn Tiscali around, but given its size and reputation, it's got to be a huge task.

Tacitus

Quote from: Sebby on Jun 19, 2008, 13:34:29
I think someone could turn Tiscali around, but given its size and reputation, it's got to be a huge task.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head.  The buying spree that saw Tiscali take over various ISPs has left someone with the problem of integrating not only the networks, but the back office stuff as well.  Given the current shambles, maybe they baulked at the amount of effort and probably money, involved. 

Looked at like that, best to walk away.  I'm inclined to think anyone who buys it needs their head examined, unless they get it at a ridiculously low price.

Rik

Well, my offer of £1 still stands. :)
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

To be honest I think Vodaphone would be better having a go at Zen or a similar sized company.  Medium sized with a good rep and just starting with LLU.  They could build on that the same as O2 have done with Be.

Vodaphone aren't short of a bob and provided they kept the rate of expansion reasonable, it would be cheaper in the long run as well as consuming less management time on integration problems.

Rik

I'd agree, Tac. I don't feel that IDNet are big enough yet for someone like Vodafone to take an interest... I hope.  :fingers:
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Rik

Especially with all that belt tightening...
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Jun 19, 2008, 16:41:57
I'd agree, Tac. I don't feel that IDNet are big enough yet for someone like Vodafone to take an interest... I hope.  :fingers:

On the other hand I know from when I was involved in motor racing, there's an awful lot of deals hatched in the paddock.....   ;D

[very tongue in cheek...]

Rik

I didn't know paddocks had hatches! ;)
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Maybe us IDNetters could form a consortium and put an offer forward for Tiscali!  ;D
Lance
_____

Sebby

David

Quote from: Lance on Jun 19, 2008, 19:45:20
Maybe us IDNetters could form a consortium and put an offer forward for Tiscali!  ;D

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :eek4: :eek4: :eek4: :eek4: :eek4:
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

Quote from: Lance on Jun 19, 2008, 19:45:20

I'm all in favour. £2.50 and then we wind it up.  >:D
Rik
--------------------

David

Thats the secret !it needs winding up....will it work then Rik  ;D
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

David

How do you think existing subscribers will make out I really am glad Im no longer there but with all this hanging over them it cant be stress free as they are powerless,they could end up better off,but what real protection would they have....ie could Tiscali pull the plug.it is not probable but possible...stranger things have happened,I know its not likely but from what I have read its not exactly profitable this part of it.....
Cant be a picnic for the existing customers  :rant2: