Soon be joining has joined!

Started by weevil, Jun 23, 2008, 11:36:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebby

With a filtered faceplate, removing the ring wire is unnecessary; you should connect it up per the original faceplate (i.e. to terminals 2, 3, and 5).

The faceplate filters the ADSL and voice as the line enters the house, and sends only filtered voice to extension wiring, Subsequently. the ADSL side is not part of the extension "loop" and is not affected by the ring wire.

weevil

I've also seen double filtering mentioned /recommended for Sky+ boxes etc.

So, if I get the filtered faceplate, I plug the modem into the ADSL slot on the left and the Sky+ box into the phone slot on the right but attached to filter first? I thought the faceplate meant not having to use the normal filters throughout the house on telephone sockets?

Den

The ring wire is only used to give extra power for the bells on old type phones. It's ok to connect it to the master incoming as that is what BT would do, but do not connect on the outgoing cables as it will act as an aerial and pick up interference. It's also a good idea to disconnect it from as many slave sockets as you can. You should not use any more filters if you have a filtered face plate.  ;D 
Mr Music Man.

Rik

The reason I say connect the ring wire is that the circuit, by that time, is already separate to the ADSL one. Normally, we advice disconnecting it, because the ADSL filters provide the current needed for phones to ring. As you won't have any, it's standard practice to use the ring wire. However... start without - if everything works, leave it disconnected.

As to tools, Weevil, I'd go for the more expensive one, but I just like collecting tools. ;)

Double filtering on Sky boxes does no harm and often does some good, they are notoriously noisy. :(
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Den

My Sky box is not connected to BT line and very soon will not be connected to my TV  ::)
Mr Music Man.

Sebby

I think Sky boxes won't have such an impact when you use a filtered faceplate, but double filtering can't hurt.

weevil

I've ordered all the bits and pieces now from Adslnation.

Hopefully, they will arrive pretty quickly – I'll let you know the results when i've set it all up - probably be worse by the time I've finished with it!

Thanks all for the good info :)

Rik

You'll do just fine - it sounds much more complicated than it is.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: weevil on Jun 29, 2008, 18:56:35
Hopefully, they will arrive pretty quickly – I'll let you know the results when i've set it all up - probably be worse by the time I've finished with it!

Honestly, you'll be fine. Remove the faceplate, make a note of which wires go to which terminals, pull them out, connect to the new faceplate, screw in, done. ;)

Ann

I live in a new house.. well 10 years old now and when I changed the faceplate I found that there was no ring wire.  So it seems that BT have given up using them altogether.  The phone still rings!

Sebby

That's interesting to know, Ann. :)

weevil

Got the gear from adslnation :)

Here are some stats

DownStream Connection Speed
5248 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed
448 kbps

Line Attenuation
44 db
11.5 db
Noise Margin
15 db
24 db

Thing is, when I do a BT speed test I get an IP Profile of 750 :(

Why has it dropped ? My downstream connection has gone up by 2000 with the new faceplate.

With regards to the new faceplate, do I ignore the blue ADSL bit with A and B or am I going about this the wrong way?

Sebby

It's dropped because your line must have been unstable over the last few days. The faceplate doesn't have a direct impact on the profile. As long as things are stable, it will increase itself in about 3 days.

Ignore the A and B; that's for running a filtered ADSL extension. :)

weevil

Thanks Sebby

Last few days had been pretty consistent -downstream 3600, IP profile of 2500.

Sebby

It must have been something. It only take one bad sync event. :(

weevil

Probably me playing about with the faceplate :o

Sebby

Whilst that may have caused lots of resyncs, only noise makes you sync low. Your target SNRM is 15dB so your line has certainly been unstable. Hopefully the faceplate will help in that respect.

weevil

I had a bit of trouble with the IDC tool. I thought it was meant to punch down and strip the wire at the same time. Couldn't quite get the grasp of it, so stripped a bit off manually to reveal the wire.

I've just read that this is not a good idea and that the tool should do it as you punch down. Any advice on the IDC tool (it's the more expensive one off adslnation)?

Rik

It should just punch the wire into the 'jaws' of the socket, Weevil.

Can you post a photo of the back of the faceplate and the business end of the IDC tool?
Rik
--------------------

weevil

Ok Rik. I'll have a look a bit later and take some pics

weevil

Here some pics -couldn't get them much sharper

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rik

That looks OK, as far as I can see you have the blue/white pairing on 2/5, with the orange on 3? I wouldn't quite work out what you'd done with the second orange wire though.

The tool looks like a standard IDC.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Looks fine to me. You won't see the wire stripped as such, but as it goes down, enough is stripped to make contact with the terminals.

weevil

At present the ends of the wires are stripped. Is it best for me to snip them off and punch them in again?

Sebby

I don't know whether it makes a difference, but the "proper" way is not to strip the wires first. :)