Soon be joining has joined!

Started by weevil, Jun 23, 2008, 11:36:57

Previous topic - Next topic

weevil

Finally on board with IDNet ;D

I put the order in last Wednesday as soon as my telephone line came active and was given Wednesday 25th for the broadband to be up and running.

I've been keeping an eye on the router green light all morning and much to my surprise it has come on about an hour ago. Massively relieved as i've been having to use my Blackberry for email/downloading attachments etc (painfully slow).

I've already run the test on speedtesterbt.com - is this the one I should be going for?

The results are as follows:-
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  5728 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1803 kbps

Here are some stats from my router too:-

Connection Speed
5728 kbps
448 kbps

Line Attenuation
45 db Downstream
11.5 db Upstream

Noise Margin
7 db Downstream
23 db Upstream

By the looks of things (to me) the results look ok and Rik was spot on with his estimates - nice one Rik :thumb:

Am I correct in thinking that I will be stuck on the 2000 profile until the 10 day training period has passed?

I haven't installed any extra gadgets recommended previously - would there be much point based on the stats?

Thanks all.

Rik

Your profile will rise over the next 3-5 days, the 2M profile is BT's 'starting point'. As things stand, you're headed for a 5M profile. I suspect, therefore that there is some line noise around, especially as your d/s margin is 7db. Using a filtered faceplate might help that, going the whole hog and switching to a 2700 might take you all the way to 6MB. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

weevil

Thanks Rik. To be honest I'm more than happy with 5mb (i'm not sure that I would notice that much difference between 5 and 6). So, I may not go for the 2700 etc. but will see how it pans out over the coming days and I may post some stats to see if anything had radically changed.

I did get a bit concerned yesterday when I noticed that there was a DACS2 box on the side of the house - I had heard a few reports about that affecting the speed but I'm not too clued up on that one. Anyway, as I said, 5mb would be great!

Rik

The DACS box will have been disconnected in order to give you ADSL. :)
Rik
--------------------

Dangerjunkie

Hi Weevil,

:welcome: to ADSL happiness :)

As Rik said it took about 3 days for my profile to unlatch from 2000, Over the following week it will learn what is possible on your line and settle.

I used to have 4Mb from Virgin. I was amazed that, at peak times, I was getting up to 10 times the speed out of 2 "real" IDNet Mb than I was getting out of 4 "pretend" VM ones.

Enjoy! :)

Cheers,
Paul.

Sebby

Welcome! The 2Mb profile is normal and should clear in 3-5 days. :)

gyruss

Definitely welcome to the land of the living again :)  I've just come back (thank the lord!!) from a 135k profile (see my other thread) and its a big relief not having to endure those horrid speeds again now.  Anyway i looked up the profile targets for the speed of your downstream and it is as follows: (yours is in bold)  So you should see it increase now as the days go by for sure.

Downsteam       IP Profile target.
from 5120Kbps  4.5Mbps 
from 5696Kbps  5Mbps 
from 6240Kbps  5.5Mbps 
Jase

ippylad

Hello...

I am due to migrate into idnet on Wednesday and just thought I would ask you guys what speeds you will think I will get... These are the router stats at the moment with my current ISP... I also have a NTE5 Openreach socket...

Thanks in advance...

ADSL Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed   7232 kbps   448 kbps
Line Attenuation   44.0 db   23.5 db
Noise Margin   9.3 db   21.0 db

gyruss

I'll best guess you at 6mb.

6.5mb is from 7392kb downstream from what i can gather.

(guys feel free to correct me on this)
Jase

gyruss

To assist others, this is the table from thinkbroadbands site that i've been referring to for IP Profiles...

Quote from: thinkbroadband website
Line sync speed (connection speed)  IP Profile / BRAS Data Rate

from 288Kbps (Kilo bits per second)  0.25Mbps (Mega bits per second) 
from 416Kbps  0.35Mbps 
from 576Kbps  0.5Mbps 
from 864Kbps  0.75Mbps 
from 1152Kbps  1Mbps 
from 1440Kbps  1.25Mbps 
from 1728Kbps  1.5Mbps 
from 2016Kbps  1.75Mbps 
from 2272Kbps  2Mbps 
from 2848Kbps  2.5Mbps 
from 3424Kbps  3Mbps 
from 4000Kbps  3.5Mbps 
from 4544Kbps  4Mbps 
from 5120Kbps  4.5Mbps 
from 5696Kbps  5Mbps 
from 6240Kbps  5.5Mbps 
from 6816Kbps  6Mbps 
from 7392Kbps  6.5Mbps 
from 7968Kbps  7Mbps 
8128Kbps  7.15Mbps 
Jase

Rik

Quote from: ippylad on Jun 23, 2008, 15:11:13

As things stand, you'll get 6M, but if you can get your target NM down to the standard 6, you'll move into 6.5M range. My guess, though is that the margin has been raised to stabilise the line so, unless you request that be done manually, it may prove hard to get BT to change it again.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: ippylad on Jun 23, 2008, 15:11:13
Hello...

I am due to migrate into idnet on Wednesday and just thought I would ask you guys what speeds you will think I will get... These are the router stats at the moment with my current ISP... I also have a NTE5 Openreach socket...

Thanks in advance...

:welc: :karma:

IDNet don't throttle at all, so subject to exchange connection, you can expect up to 6Mb (as you'll be on a 6000k profile). If you can get the sync to 7392k, you'll be on a 6500k profile.

As Rik mentions, your current ~9dB SNRM is probably because the exchange has stabilised your line. That said, it could just be that you sync'd at night, and as noise reduces in the day, the SNRM increases. If you resync in the day, you might find you sync a bit higher.

weevil

Small update on my stats. BT speedtest states that my profile is now 4000 kbps and the actual throughput is 3600ish.

For a period yesterday the profile was 5000. Is the fact that it has gone back to 4000 part of the training period?

Cheers all.

Rik

Not as such, it just indicates that your sync speed has dropped by about 1M. Do you have the sync figures and the noise margin for the two days?
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

The training period is effectively just a period where BT don't have to investigate instability, as your line is more likely to need to adjust to achieve stability in the early days. After the training period, the line is still rate-adaptive,

So, as Rik says, if the profile has dropped, so has the sync, which could equally happen once the training period is over.

weevil

Here's the latest stats - what do you reckon?

IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
5728 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3705 kbps

ADSL Link Downstream Connection Speed 5728 kbps
Upstream 448 kbps
Line Attenuation Downstream 45 db
Upstream 11.5 db
Noise Margin 3 db Downstream
23 db Upstream

Thanks guys.

Sebby

As far as the stats go, the downstream noise margin is a little low, probably because you sync'd during the day when noise is lower, and the stats are taken at night when noise is higher. If you re-sync now, the sync will reduce a bit so the SNRM meets the target of 6dB. You'll then find that your SNRM is higher than 6dB during the day.

Ultimately, though, if the noise margin of 3dB does not cause your router to lose sync, it's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Your actual sync looks about right for the attenuation. :)

weevil

Thanks Sebby.
I'm only meant to be officially up and running tomorrow (day five after ordering). Support said that I may lose sync up to that point even if I am connected - i've not had any trouble so far. The broadband actually came on for me on day 3 after ordering, so on the whole I'm pretty happy :)

Sebby

Good to hear. Something else to mention is that the profile should be 5000k, so you may find that your speed is a bit low compared with your sync, but this should update automatically in 3-5 days. :)

weevil

Got the confirmation this morning from IDNet that my broadband order is complete.

I've run the BT speedtester this morning and got these results:-

IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  4352 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2726 kbps

This information is lower than at any time since the connection was made on Monday. I've had an IP profile over the last few days of 5,000 and 4,000 (2,000 on day 1).

Is it correct that it should now be lower?

Rik

BT had an engineer going to the exchange that day. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: weevil on Jun 25, 2008, 05:30:37
Is it correct that it should now be lower?

Well, the sync has fallen, so the profile is going to fall as well, though the profile should be 3500k for your current sync. It looks like you're experiencing some instability and the line is still stabilising. :)

Lona

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

weevil

That's the biggest welcome i've ever had! Thanks Lona.

My stats are starting to cause me some concern. Here are the latest:-

IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  2048 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1573 kbps

ADSL Link            Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed    2048 kbps           448 kbps
Line Attenuation    41 db           11.5 db
Noise Margin    14 db           24 db

What's going on? The connection has been great since it became active on Monday but each day that passes, when I check the stats first thing in the morning, the profile is worse.

On Tuesday/Wednesday my profile was as high as 5,000 and was solid all day. Any ideas? Is it just the training period?

Thanks all

ippylad

Sorry to push in....but...didnt see the need to start a new thread...

I migrated over on Tuesday and my IP Profile has dropped too, my sync did drop down but when I did a re sync it went back up.

My profile was between 6000-6500 now 5000 will this go up on its own? When you migrate in do you go thru the 10 day training again ?

IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7328 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4609 kbps