Soon be joining has joined!

Started by weevil, Jun 23, 2008, 11:36:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Danni

weevil: It's not the training period. My sync was always good (maximum after asking for interleaving to be turned off) and my profile kept going up during training until I got to the maximum. Your decreases are worrying. As it is your sync rather than the profile that is changing something is causing it to keep decreasing, most likely noise. Your noise margin agrees with this, as it's been increased. Do you have any sky boxes or dodgy phones or anything? I know that Colin (Burns) had a phone that was causing his sync to be lowered, but that was detectable through the voice line (I could barely understand him there was so much static).

What is your voice line like? It may not just be broadband.
IDNet Customer (ex-partner's name): 6th January 2006 - 23rd March 2007
IDNet broadband Customer (my name): 11th June 2008 - 21st April 2010

Now with Be for internets, IDNet for phone.

Danni

ippylad: If you keep that sync for a few days then your profile should rise to 6000. I'm pretty sure you don't go through the training again when you migrate.
IDNet Customer (ex-partner's name): 6th January 2006 - 23rd March 2007
IDNet broadband Customer (my name): 11th June 2008 - 21st April 2010

Now with Be for internets, IDNet for phone.

ippylad

Thanks Danni !

Its just nice to have an ISP whos DNS works.....  ;)

Rik

Quote from: ippylad on Jun 27, 2008, 09:29:41
Sorry to push in....but...didnt see the need to start a new thread...

I migrated over on Tuesday and my IP Profile has dropped too, my sync did drop down but when I did a re sync it went back up.

My profile was between 6000-6500 now 5000 will this go up on its own? When you migrate in do you go thru the 10 day training again ?

IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7328 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4609 kbps

No, you don't re-train on a 'like for like' migration. The drop in sync speed has lowered your profile. Providing you can maintain the current speed, it will rise again to 6Mbps. However, if your line continues to drop, we'll need to do some digging.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pup

Digging for frops Rik?   Is that a typeo` frog??   ;D
Pup

Sitting on the fence......
And Laughing at both sides.

Rik

Quote from: weevil on Jun 27, 2008, 06:35:44
That's the biggest welcome i've ever had! Thanks Lona.

My stats are starting to cause me some concern. Here are the latest:-

IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  2048 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1573 kbps

ADSL Link            Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed    2048 kbps           448 kbps
Line Attenuation    41 db           11.5 db
Noise Margin    14 db           24 db

What's going on? The connection has been great since it became active on Monday but each day that passes, when I check the stats first thing in the morning, the profile is worse.

On Tuesday/Wednesday my profile was as high as 5,000 and was solid all day. Any ideas? Is it just the training period?

Thanks all

What Danni said, Weevil, but I would note your noise margin has been increased, so this suggests a lot of instability. Check the internal wiring guide here:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1904.msg31528#msg31528

to see if there's anything you can do to help. If you're satisfied it's not an internal issues, get IDNet to test the line at the end of the training period.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: pup on Jun 27, 2008, 11:21:59
Digging for frops Rik?   Is that a typeo` frog??   ;D

Not any more. ;)
Rik
--------------------

pup

Pup

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pup

Pup

Sebby

Quote from: weevil on Jun 27, 2008, 06:35:44
That's the biggest welcome i've ever had! Thanks Lona.

My stats are starting to cause me some concern. Here are the latest:-

IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  2048 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1573 kbps

ADSL Link            Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed    2048 kbps           448 kbps
Line Attenuation    41 db           11.5 db
Noise Margin    14 db           24 db

What's going on? The connection has been great since it became active on Monday but each day that passes, when I check the stats first thing in the morning, the profile is worse.

On Tuesday/Wednesday my profile was as high as 5,000 and was solid all day. Any ideas? Is it just the training period?

Thanks all

It's looks like there has been some serious instability. As a result, the exchange has increased the target SNRM (Signal-to-Noise Ratio Margin) in an attempt to stabilise the line. With reduced sync comes a reduced profile.

You may be able to improve things, though the target SNRM is going to hold you back, at least for a while. A filtered faceplate or removing the ring wire is a good place to start. :)

weevil

Right then! It's been a funny kind of day on the broadband front.

I spoke to James (IDNet) today and he got me to try a few things that you wise old owls are always talking about. As you may have seen, my IP profile has been dropping daily (down below 2,000) today.

James got me to plug it into the master socket and unplug all phones/ Sky+ etc. (which I did). The profile then went up to 3,500ish. He then said to remove the faceplate (I know lots of you recommended doing this anyway :)) and plug it straight in. The result then was IP profile of 5472 - much more like it. Take it out and put the faceplate back on and it's back to 3500.

So James emails me to say "This suggests that the internal wiring in the house is pickup interference or there is a problem with the faceplate in the main socket, you may need to get this checked but a phone engineer."

What do you guys reckon? Is it worth me getting faceplates and all the other bits and bobs recommended previously?

Just so you guys know, the wiring in the house is 5 years max old, when I plug all the phones back in around the house the IP profile doesn't change (only doing the master socket test changes things instantly). The Master Socket is located right next to the TV which has a Sky+ connected.

I have tried changing the filter that goes into the master socket. The Speedtouch came back with a result of 3456 and the Netgear filter 3552 -could that indicate anything?

As usual, thanks all for any advice.

Lance

The fact that your sync improves significantly when you are plugged directly into the test socket suggests that your internal wiring certainly is picking up lots of noise. Your best bet would be to get a filtered faceplate such as this one.
Lance
_____

Steve

As Lance says,however you still have to be able to connect your router directly to it.If this causes a problem with network connections from this point, simple solutions involve wireless networking or better still mains networking. :)
Steve
------------

Sebby

Quote from: weevil on Jun 27, 2008, 20:11:31
Right then! It's been a funny kind of day on the broadband front.

I spoke to James (IDNet) today and he got me to try a few things that you wise old owls are always talking about. As you may have seen, my IP profile has been dropping daily (down below 2,000) today.

James got me to plug it into the master socket and unplug all phones/ Sky+ etc. (which I did). The profile then went up to 3,500ish. He then said to remove the faceplate (I know lots of you recommended doing this anyway :)) and plug it straight in. The result then was IP profile of 5472 - much more like it. Take it out and put the faceplate back on and it's back to 3500.

So James emails me to say "This suggests that the internal wiring in the house is pickup interference or there is a problem with the faceplate in the main socket, you may need to get this checked but a phone engineer."

What do you guys reckon? Is it worth me getting faceplates and all the other bits and bobs recommended previously?

Just so you guys know, the wiring in the house is 5 years max old, when I plug all the phones back in around the house the IP profile doesn't change (only doing the master socket test changes things instantly). The Master Socket is located right next to the TV which has a Sky+ connected.

I have tried changing the filter that goes into the master socket. The Speedtouch came back with a result of 3456 and the Netgear filter 3552 -could that indicate anything?

As usual, thanks all for any advice.

It's the sync that's improving, not the profile. The profile is derived from the sync, but takes a few days to update. As already mentioned, a filtered faceplate would yield you the same sync as you've achieved at the test socket. As Steve says, though, this might not be convenient, so wireless network is an option. If not, you can always consider removing the ring wire from every socket instead of a filtered faceplate; the results may not be quite as good, but they should be significantly better than they are now. :)

weevil

It's no problem for me to put a filtered faceplate on as I am running a wireless network. Would the filtered faceplate go on the master socket?

Steve

Yes fits on the master socket, It replaces the lower portion of the front cover you had to remove to get at the test socket.
Steve
------------

Sebby

As Steve says, the filtered faceplate replaces the lower part of the master socket and profiles an ADSL and voice socket. All extension sockets in the house are filtered already by the faceplate, so no microfilters are required. The router has to connect at the master socket with this setup.

weevil

I more than happy to purchase the filtered faceplate but have a query. When I took the lower half of the front cover off and plugged into the engineers test port the result was downstream 5600 - replace the panel it was 3500.

When I looked at the bottom panel, loads of wires were attached to it. There was a cable going into the ring bell which I though about removing but didn't want to make anything worse. If I buy a filtered faceplate, do I have to remove all of this wiring and rewire to the new faceplate. Is it straightforward? As I said, the last thing I want is to make it worse.

Rik

Yes you do, buy a punch down (IDC) tool and connect the pair to terminals 2&5, connect the ring wire to terminal 3.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

It's literally a case of punching the wires into the same terminals on the new faceplate. :)

weevil

Ok, which punch down tool should I get? I've seen two on adslnation:- cheap one and one for about a tenner. My guess is to go for the more expensive one to be on the safe side?

Do you reckon the filtered faceplate will make the difference (looking at the figures when plugged directly into the engineers port and then with the lower front cover put back in? i.e 2000 difference.

Steve

The cheap tool is ok for a one off job. The filtered faceplate will make a difference, has you have demonstrated that the noise is from your extension wiring. One thing to check,Rik mentioned reattaching the ring wire to terminal 3,I am unsure whether you need that? Someone will confirm.Another solution perhaps at zero expense is to remove the ring wire from terminal 3 on the master socket and on all the extension sockets.
Steve
------------

weevil

Must admit that I wondered about the reattaching the ring wire but Rik really seems to know his stuff, so I guess he must be right?

I could remove the ring wire from all of the extension sockets (I know it was attached on the master socket) - the only hassle is that there are another 8 dotted around the house, so could take me a while. If people think it's worth me doing, then I will. What do you all reckon?

Steve

If Rik is correct and probably is, and you remove all the ring wire and then subsequently fit a filtered faceplate you may need the ring wire reattached to make the voice side of things work correctly.Obviously wasted effort.
Steve
------------