C&W to buy Demon

Started by Noreen, Jun 30, 2008, 11:14:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

QuoteReports indicate that THUS Group, the Glasgow-based telecoms firm behind UK ISP Demon Internet, will agree a bid worth up to 180p per share (approximate value: £330m) by Cable & Wireless (C&W) before 5pm today. The news follows THUS Group's earlier rejection of a preliminary offer worth 165p (original news), which was deemed to have undervalued the company.

It would certainly be an interesting move for C&W, which practically vacated the retail Internet provision market in 2006 when its Bulldog broadband customer base was sold on to Tiscali. THUS currently employs over 1,700 staff and recently posted its first operating profits for the year ending 31st March 2008.

However, the majority of our readers will no doubt be more interested in how Tiscali's sale is progressing. The ISP had promised to reach an agreement by the end of June and today is their last chance to do so without bagging a heap of criticism. It remains to be seen whether Vodafone has pulled out completely or merely reduced its original offer.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/news/EkEulEEkuZxnMTLuZa.html

Rik

What a curious market place...
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Jun 30, 2008, 12:29:21
What a curious market place...

Be interesting to see what C & W plan for Demon.  As a Demon customer I think I should be told  :)

Glenn

It is strange, as C&W pulled out of the retail sector, is buying Demon a move back into the sector?
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

I would have thought so...
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Glenn on Jun 30, 2008, 18:53:25
It is strange, as C&W pulled out of the retail sector, is buying Demon a move back into the sector?

If they do go into retail as seems likely and they adopt the pile it high sell it cheap route, then I for one will bail out and go elsewhere.

Simon

You know where to come, Bob.  ;)
Simon.
--

doc_holiday

I was just thinking about demon the other day. I remember when they were such a big player in the UK. It is amazing how things change over time.

Tacitus

Quote from: doc_holiday on Jul 01, 2008, 07:57:49
I was just thinking about demon the other day. I remember when they were such a big player in the UK. It is amazing how things change over time.

They're certainly not the company they were when I joined back in the days of dial-up.  Support has been outsourced to Bangalore, and the network seems to be getting more congested at peak times although since I'm on a poor line this could be my imagination.  Certainly it's not unusual to find the mail servers too congested to accept mail at peak times. 

Bangalore can be OK if you're lucky enough to get one of the better ones, but none of them are very willing to get involved with BT.  I imagine they're under corporate orders to steer clear in case they start incurring BT charges. 

In my view far more ISPs should give BT a hammering, as more often than not it's their poor lines which are the source of problems.

Rik

I agree, Tac, BT need to be required to provide a level of service if we are ever to move forward.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Jul 01, 2008, 10:18:55
I agree, Tac, BT need to be required to provide a level of service if we are ever to move forward.

They should, but I doubt OFCOM would have the bottle to force them to do it.

I gather from these forums that Miriam works wonders with BT!  Perhaps every ISP should have a Miriam  :)

Reminds me of someone I used to work with.  The biggest threat he ever made was to 'set the wife' on someone.  He wasn't kidding - she used to be a no-nonsense police sergeant.  Actually a very nice woman, but not one to be trifled with.

Rik

If every ISP had a Miriam, IDNet wouldn't be special anymore. :)

It shouldn't need that kind of pushing, though, BT should be trying to deliver a first rate service.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Jul 01, 2008, 12:08:58
It shouldn't need that kind of pushing, though, BT should be trying to deliver a first rate service.

I agree, but if every ISP made a complete nuisance of themselves it might convince BT/OR that providing a decent service is easier than enduring constant harassment.  I don't just mean keep 'phoning OR, but politically and every other way possible. 

Rik

I'm with you there, Tac, though knowing BT, they'd just start declaring lines unsuitable for ADSL. :(
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Jul 01, 2008, 12:53:55
........knowing BT, they'd just start declaring lines unsuitable for ADSL. :(

That's the main reason I'm wary of rocking the boat, much as it galls me to say it.  I doubt it would take much for them to declare the line as being no good.  We're right at the end of the run, there's only about another dozen houses to the end of the cable.  A bit further up the road and they are served from another exchange, but I think they're in a worse boat than us as they must be 4/5 miles away.  We're 2/2.5 albeit via poor cables.  Should be about 40/44 dB attn compared to the 55/57 we actually get.

Rik

I've known it happen, Tac, and till there's a USO, no-one can stop them.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

I wonder what BT's impression is of IDNet?
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

An ISP who know their job and don't take rubbish?
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Quote from: Glenn on Jul 01, 2008, 17:41:25
I wonder what BT's impression is of IDNet?

Probably as a thorn in their side, to be honest, who won't let them get away with their usual sh*t!
Simon.
--

Tacitus

Quote from: Simon on Jul 01, 2008, 17:50:32
Probably as a thorn in their side, to be honest, who won't let them get away with their usual sh*t!

Like I said a few more like iDNet and BT/OR might find that offering a good service is the easier option.

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

First you have to get the consumers willing to pay the price needed to keep the pressure on.  :'(
Rik
--------------------

somanyholes

just an update for you all. c&w now own thus. No linkage I'm afraid. We (c&w) where told this morning. The main purpose of this acquisition for those wondering is for c&w to take more of a bite of of BT's Business arm....

Tacitus

Quote from: somanyholes on Oct 01, 2008, 07:47:20
just an update for you all. c&w now own thus. No linkage I'm afraid. We (c&w) where told this morning. The main purpose of this acquisition for those wondering is for c&w to take more of a bite of of BT's Business arm....

I did wonder so, as Demon have made a major push into the business market.  I'm told that if you have a business contract, support is still UK based. 

My main concern though is what C & W do with the consumer division.  Pile it high and take on O2, or sell it off?  Who knows.

somanyholes

QuoteMy main concern though is what C & W do with the consumer division.  Pile it high and take on O2, or sell it off?

Not sure on that one tbh. Even if i did couldn't really say.....