Scotland signs deal for blanket broadband

Started by Noreen, Jun 30, 2008, 11:23:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

QuoteThe Scottish government has signed a deal to get satellite broadband in the places that ADSL cannot reach.

Avanti Communications Group has been awarded a £3.3m contract to make broadband available to the remote areas of the country that are out of the reach of terrestrial alternatives............
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39440951,00.htm

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tacitus

Quote from: Noreen on Jun 30, 2008, 11:23:59
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39440951,00.htm

It was interesting to see they intend to supply it to all even in remote areas, by using WiFi/local masts where necessary. 

Rik

There is, in Scotland, an awareness of how broadband can help remote communities that simply doesn't seem to exist elsewhere in the UK. It's not just BB, of course. They employ peripatetic piping teachers to tour the outlying schools.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Jun 30, 2008, 15:55:07
....They employ peripatetic piping teachers to tour the outlying schools.

I would regard that as cruelty to children  ;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Joking apart Rik, I do think the Scots have far more sense of community than ever the English seem to.  The Highlands and Islands Board have done a lot of good work in trying to use new technology to prevent communities from being totally isolated.  Haven't they installed a lot of fibre round the Highlands to the extent of having their own University operated pretty much entirely over the Internet? 

Talking to my Godson's wife - a Scot from Dollar - she's always impressed me with her attitude to things compared to many of the English.

Rik

Scotland is still a community, Tac, it's what I like about the place. They generally do the best for the greatest number, and will invest in the infrastructure. People have time for each other.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Quote from: Tacitus on Jun 30, 2008, 17:02:37
Joking apart Rik, I do think the Scots have far more sense of community than ever the English seem to.  The Highlands and Islands Board have done a lot of good work in trying to use new technology to prevent communities from being totally isolated.  Haven't they installed a lot of fibre round the Highlands to the extent of having their own University operated pretty much entirely over the Internet? 

Talking to my Godson's wife - a Scot from Dollar - she's always impressed me with her attitude to things compared to many of the English.
:iagree:
Glenn
--------------------

Gary

Maybe instead of blanket broadband they should have duvets instead since its Scotland :whistle:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Jul 08, 2008, 12:46:05
Naah - blankets in Black Watch tartan. :)
:lol: I just knew it, itchy though :eyebrow:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

It depends where you put the sporran... ;)
Rik
--------------------