Barclays gives online users free Kaspersky software

Started by Noreen, Jul 02, 2008, 11:21:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

QuoteBarclays Bank is to offer its two million online customers free security software.

The package from Kaspersky protects from adware, spyware and viruses, and provides parental control and spam filters. Barclays already offers its online-banking customers free antivirus software, but has now beefed up the package to protect against other internet security threats..................
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39442133,00.htm

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Noreen

I'm a Barclay's customer but I'm sticking with NOD32 and my anti-spyware programs. ;D

Rik

The interesting thing will be to see if banks make their own software compulsory...
Rik
--------------------

vitriol

Danni

From what I've read, it's considered to be one of the best out there.
IDNet Customer (ex-partner's name): 6th January 2006 - 23rd March 2007
IDNet broadband Customer (my name): 11th June 2008 - 21st April 2010

Now with Be for internets, IDNet for phone.

Rik

Some like it and some don't from what I've seen, Vitriol. Fairly typical of this place. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Simon

As a suite, it does offer one of the best comprehensive security packages available, but as with many full suites, it works better on some machines than others, and I believe the user has to be fairly computer savvy to configure as I don't think it offers the highest levels of protection, out of the box.
Simon.
--

Sebby

I use the antivirus only, and I think it's fantastic.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Jul 02, 2008, 11:31:34
The interesting thing will be to see if banks make their own software compulsory...

It will be even more interesting to see what, if anything, they offer to Mac users...

PS:  Not trying to stir it, I'm genuinely interested.  :)

Rik

Fair point, Tac. They may not have thought that far, of course.  :eyebrow:
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Jul 02, 2008, 12:04:13
As a suite, it does offer one of the best comprehensive security packages available, but as with many full suites, it works better on some machines than others, and I believe the user has to be fairly computer savvy to configure as I don't think it offers the highest levels of protection, out of the box.
The new 2009 version is very different Simon with a proper firewall which recognises all programs now, and great HIPS protection system and a virtual keyboard for use on sites like banking, sadly some bugs with FF3 and a few BSOD on some boxes, the new version is way lighter as well, also, it has a built in secunia vulnerability checker. Worth using but I would give it a few weeks, I'm happy with ESS till then
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

That sounds much better, Gary, but I wonder if Barclays will be offering the latest version?
Simon.
--

Gary

The hidden invisible bit, that you have to alter your contrast to see, saying Barclays are evil Noreen ;)

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Jul 02, 2008, 13:07:43
That sounds much better, Gary, but I wonder if Barclays will be offering the latest version?
Version 7 keys work with version 2009 Simon, not sure about packages like this, could try that code first in the 2009 version, if not i would avoid version 7 the last one released was like browsing though BSOD treacle for many though, oh and the issue with chkdsk is now cleared up in the new version :thumb:

Noreen

Quote from: Killhippie on Jul 02, 2008, 13:07:49
The hidden invisible bit, that you have to alter your contrast to see, saying Barclays are evil Noreen ;)
I can see it quite easily. :)

Gary

Tacitus

Quote from: Noreen on Jul 02, 2008, 13:05:35
http://www.personal.barclays.co.uk/BRC1/jsp/brccontrol?task=homefreegroup&value=10662&target=_blank&site=pfs
Note the last line.

True enough, but there are others besides Kaspersky, although I think they may do a Mac version which is only available to corporates which shouldn't be a problem for Barclays.  Norton (cough, puke) do a retail one for Macs, but one of the most popular is  Intego's Virus Barrier.

Could be they've accepted that Macs are virus free (=true), and are completely resistant to malware (=untrue).

doc_holiday

Quote from: Sebby on Jul 02, 2008, 12:26:55
I use the antivirus only, and I think it's fantastic.

I do too. FWIW, it is currently in the PC Pro A list.

Gary

Quote from: doc_holiday on Jul 02, 2008, 15:35:13
I do too. FWIW, it is currently in the PC Pro A list.
Great antivirus but to many issues with the suite and also av conflicts with word 2007 see Kaspersky forum, im waiting for IDS updates and hotfix c before I go back, to many BSOD and also issues with usb drives and devices http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=74814
but a great av when it works well, just wish they would iron the bugs out before release of a new product, and version 7 caused chkdsk errors which permanently alter your file system till you format, hence waiting for 2009 to be stable at this time as I do not want that issue back ::)

Sebby

In contrast, we've been running version 8 (2009) for a few weeks on XP and Vista with no issues at all. :)