Judge Orders YouTube to Give All User Histories to Viacom

Started by Noreen, Jul 03, 2008, 11:36:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

QuoteGoogle will have to turn over every record of every video watched by YouTube users, including users' names and IP addresses, to Viacom, which is suing Google for allowing clips of its copyright videos to appear on YouTube, a judge ruled Wednesday..................
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/07/judge-orders-yo.html

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Jul 03, 2008, 11:41:08
This could get very interesting...  :eyebrow:

Are they saying that simply watching it is an infringement of copyright? 

Rik

I suspect it's more to do with calculating damages - a viewer can't be expected to check copyright, they don't have a mechanism to do so.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

vitriol

Rik

Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

This is going to be really interesting, and makes you wonder how much info Google has on us already  :-\

Rik

Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

And there's nothing really that we can do about it either, which kinda makes it all a lot worse  :(

Rik

Rik
--------------------

D-Dan

I have three videos posted on YouTube - all of which I created myself, and are therefore my intellectual property and I own copyright. YouTube T&Cs show that I retain copyright.

Perhaps I could enforce that copyright to prevent mine being handed over (not that I've anything to hide - they are there for all to see, but it's be an interesting test).

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

vitriol

the internet is now doomed.....we won't be able to use it for anything soon!!!!!!!

D-Dan

Well

I just put a copyright and viewing notice on one of my videos that specifically prohibits use for any purpose other than recreational by anyone connected with, or acting for, Viacom. Let's see how long before YouTube pull the plug on it :)
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Rik

Rik
--------------------

vitriol

Google and Viacom in deal to protect users privacy

link

Lance

Lance
_____