Webspace issues?

Started by gyruss, Jul 11, 2008, 18:01:36

Previous topic - Next topic

gyruss

Absolutely no idea whats causing this, but when i try to access my webspace which was setup ages ago.. http://gyruss.www.idnet.com  i get 'Forbidden  You don't have permission to access / on this server ?

Its worked up until today (i think, as i've not tried to access it in all honesty much), but as i host things like images there mostly for forum signatures, i am finding images suddenly missing from posts i make due to access issues?

Anyone else getting this? or are these outages a regular thing if its a server issue?
Jase

Rik

It's working fine here on my space. The offices have just closed so I can't check with anyone. I'd suggest you drop support an email, or call the out of hours number, depending on how urgent you feel it is. 01462 476556
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

gyruss

I have no web issues on any other webspace, my firefox 3 webbrowser fully trusts the idnet.com domain in 'noscript', and i keep getting this 403 forbidden.  How odd.

Internet Explorer 7: displays ;'The website declined to show this webpage' Most likely causes: This website requires you to login.

Yet i'm browsing forums, with no issues. 

I will indeed email idnet support i think
Jase

Sebby

Is there no index document by any chance?

Rik

Good point, can you FTP to the page, Gyruss?
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Theoretically, the error should be "directory listing denied", but I just wonder if this is the same thing.

vitriol

getting the same error here

Simon

For what it's worth, mine is also fine.  As has been suggested, can you guys access via FTP, and if so, check that an index.htm is present?
Simon.
--

JB

Quote from: vitriol on Jul 11, 2008, 20:27:32
getting the same error here

Getting a 403 error here as well. Although I thought it was working this morning.

In Spain at present so can't ftp into IDNet from Telefonica. Could log into my linux box in UK and do it that way but too many cerveza's to worry atm. :bed:

JB.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

gyruss

Sorry, will test ftp now.  I'll create some sort of index page even if its a dummy page for now.  Mostly use my webspace to host forum images, in-game screenshots and the like (MMO's), so will fire up a dummy index.htm and upload that if it lets me login to it.
Jase

Baz

seems a strange address format to me with the WWW in the middle...........I dont know  ???

Rik

IDNet tossed a coin, Baz. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Baz

gyruss

ftp'd to my webspace a dummy index.htm file and yes can call up that page with the url.

What i was able to do before though without having the index.htm there was see the list of files on my webspace which was handy.  If i can't have that any more due to some change or other. thats fine, but this now means i have to log my ftp client on just to see the files?
Jase

Rik

Afaik, no index file has always meant no access to the URL, but if you knew the full name of a file, you could access that.
Rik
--------------------

vitriol

I too can access via ftp, I can see all of my uploaded files in the ftp browser.

I still get the permision error if I just put the url in the address bar.

psp83

FTP into your account again.. In your FTP options.. Choose to show hidden files..

Do you have a .htaccess file?

if you do, download it and open in notepad (make a backup first)..

Does it contain something like:-
IndexIgnore *
OR
IndexIgnore *.gif *.jpg

if it does, remove it and re upload.

If you dont have a .htaccess file, create one.

how?

Open notepad.
Copy and paste the following "Options +Indexes" without the quotes

Save the notepad file as htaccess.txt

Upload it to the folder you want to list all files in. Rename htaccess.txt on the server to .htaccess

Then try the folder you want to list things in.. You should now see a list of all the files (if IDnet supports .htaccess)

psp83

Just tried it myself and IDnet don't support .htaccess files.

Send them an email and see if they can enable it there end.

Rik

I wonder if a setting got changed when the webspace was restored, Paul?
Rik
--------------------

psp83

if its a new server and they only restored user files then that could be the case. the new server might not be setup in the same way..

Either get them to turn on .htaccess support in apache or enable folder indexes.

Even better, get them to get php on the server  ;)

vitriol

it had been working since it came back up after the email dramas.  It's only since yesterday that I haven't been able to access.

Sebby

I think this might be one for IDNet support, guys.

Rik

Quote from: psp83 on Jul 12, 2008, 12:51:47
Even better, get them to get php on the server  ;)

Ain't gonna happen. ;)
Rik
--------------------

gyruss

Anyone know off the top of their head what the costs are for hosted ?  I'm well out of practice with my website construction, in fact the last time I made one, i used frontpage 2000, but since then so many new technologies have come into play and it would be nice to have a pet project on the go :)
Jase

Rik

Take a look at 1&1 packages from £2.43pm.
Rik
--------------------

JB

Quote from: vitriol on Jul 12, 2008, 12:52:19
it had been working since it came back up after the email dramas.  It's only since yesterday that I haven't been able to access.

Yepp. That's what I am finding also. Until yesterday, surfing to my webspace showed a listing of a few gif and jpg files I have there. Since yesterday it produces the 403 error. I presently don't have an index.htm or index.html file there.

By including the jpg or gif filename appended to the URL they display normally. Just a server config change I'm sure.

JB.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

Rik

It certainly sounds that way to me, JB, and we do know it's a new server.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Yep, it definitely looks like a configuration issue. I know that some servers will show the directory listing whilst others won't, and it's just a setting (or is it directory permissions?).

vitriol

This works : Clio

This doesn't : Forza index

Definately looks like there is something wrong with the directory structure on the server.

Simon

Definitely looks like a job for IDNet, then.  :)
Simon.
--

psp83

doubt nothing is wrong its probly just Options -Indexes is set for all accounts.

Just ask them if they could enable folder indexes so you can see the list of files for that folder.

colirv

FWIW I can ftp in, and have an index.htm file present, but get a 403 error message if I browse there. No problem ATM as it's only a holding page - my site is hosted elsewhere.
Colin

cs

I am having the same issue. (apologies for starting another thread - I did look but somehow missed this one)

I mostly use my space as a file transfer dump so I need the server to show the directory listing.

Chris

Simon

It obviously seems as though there are some issues.  As it doesn't seem to be affecting everyone, the only thing I can suggest is for you guys to contact IDNet, so that they can look into this.
Simon.
--

colirv

I've emailed IDNet support about this.
Colin

vitriol

emailed support too and pointed them to this thread.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

vitriol

I've read the post, not sure I understand it though,  do I need to have an index.html file in every folder that I upload to now?

care to elaborate a bit, feeling a bit slow this morning!

Rik

Basically, as it's been relayed to me, if there's no index file, you will get the permission denied message. However, it did specifically say parental folder, so it may not be required for sub folders.

LATER:

I've been told it does apply to sub-folders.

Rik
--------------------

cs

Thanks for the update Rik.

Unfortunately, unless they can turn that off for selected users I think it renders the webspace pretty much useless for me  :mad:

If they allowed external ftp access, that would be something but annoyingly, they don't.
Chris

vitriol

how would you go about creating this index file?

Rik

As a block to browsing:

<html>
<head>
<title>No Browsing</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>No Browsing</h1>
</body>
</html>

As a 'page shaper', it depends what you need to do.
Rik
--------------------

vitriol

I just want to show my .jpg pictures in an index, so I can click on them and see the pictures.

colirv

vitriol, try using http://www.ph2web.com/. It takes but a moment to stick up a gallery in a directory of your choice.
Colin

vitriol

I'd like to use the IDNet service if possible.

vitriol

Just got an email through from support, looks like that a directory listing is now not possible due to security concerns that some users have.

Have just asked if the "tweak" can be enabled / disabled on a per user basis.

Lance

Quote from: vitriol on Jul 15, 2008, 12:32:36

I've never used it, but this looks to do what you want. Once you've created the gallery, you just FTP it to your webspace. I'm sure there will be other programs that do the same if you google for them.

On the off-chance you have Adobe Photoshop, you can use that by going File > Automate > Web photo gallery
Lance
_____

Lance

Quote from: vitriol on Jul 15, 2008, 12:38:54
Just got an email through from support, looks like that a directory listing is now not possible due to security concerns that some users have.

Have just asked if the "tweak" can be enabled / disabled on a per user basis.

I suppose that unless the per user basis can be brought in, then it is impossible to keep every user happy. IDNet have to choose between those who want it and those who don't, and in this day and age you can't blame them for going with the more secure option!!!
Lance
_____

vitriol

can't be enabled / disabled on a per user basis as everyone's webspace is on a shared server. 

Guess I'll look at alternative's .......

cs

That is terrible news and a big headache for me.

What are the chances of getting external ftp access instead?
Chris

vitriol

Give support a mail and see what they say

support@idnet.com

Rik

I'd suggest you ask IDNet. I suspect I know the answer, but could be wrong.
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Lance on Jul 15, 2008, 12:42:15
I've never used it, but this looks to do what you want. Once you've created the gallery, you just FTP it to your webspace. I'm sure there will be other programs that do the same if you google for them.

On the off-chance you have Adobe Photoshop, you can use that by going File > Automate > Web photo gallery

You can also do it with Photoshop Elements as well, Lance, that's how I did the one that's on my idnet web space
Ray
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: vitriol on Jul 15, 2008, 12:54:42
can't be enabled / disabled on a per user basis as everyone's webspace is on a shared server. 

Guess I'll look at alternative's .......
It can be enabled per user if the server is setup correctly. All idnet have to do is tell apache to allow htaccess to override Options +/- Indexes

That way, all the user has to do is put a .htaccess file into there root with Options +Indexes or Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks in the .htaccess file.

vitriol

thanks for the advice there paul,

I wonder what security issues existed to prompt this change of configuration?

Rik

Probably a response to concerns from some customers. There's always a problem in balancing the needs of everyone on a service like this.

Those that preferred the previous approach should let support know, so that they can balance the opposing views.
Rik
--------------------

vitriol

Good advice as always Rik,

I've let Andrew in support know how I feel about this.

cs

I will let support know what I think as well.

To be honest, I think they should have told us in advance before making a change like this. Or at least after they had done it, so we were not fishing around for answers.
I often need access to files stored on my webspace when I'm working away and that is not possible now.

Chris

psp83

Quote from: vitriol on Jul 15, 2008, 16:09:16
thanks for the advice there paul

No problem..

Here's an example.. my domain http://www.psp83.com has the same as idnet. indexes are turnt off.

So if you go to http://www.psp83.com or http://www.psp83.com/youdontsee you will get the "Forbidden" message.
But if you go to http://www.psp83.com/yousee you will now get the files/subfolders shown.

This is done by .htaccess as i said in my last post. So it can be done per user if the server is setup correctly.

Sebby

Certainly on sub directories, you should just be able to change the permissions using your FTP program.

Edit: Actually, that may not be the case. If "permission denied" is just the wrong way of saying "direction listing denied" then I don't think it'll work. If it is actually about permissions, you should be able to change it yourself.

colirv

Quote from: vitriol on Jul 15, 2008, 12:32:36

It would be on your IDNet webspace, if that's what you mean. It's simply a program that quickly and simply puts together a gallery from the files in a folder.
Colin

vitriol

I just need the directory listing to be back, I'm in the same boat as cs, as I am required to travel and access to my webspace is important to me.  Not only do I use if for photo's, there are some files that I may need when I am working.

As things stand at the moment, I can't access it remotely via ftp (as it can only be used via your IDNet broadband connection) and now that directory listings have been disabled the only way I can access my files is directly.  So that will require me to memorise loads of file names.

Surely directory listings can be made optional.  When I emailed support about this I was told that personal webspace could be set up for me but I would be charged extra for the service......that's not an option imo.  I already pay for a premium service and I should be able to use all of the services provided to me.

I'll be taking this up further with support tomorrow.