Webspace issues?

Started by gyruss, Jul 11, 2008, 18:01:36

Previous topic - Next topic

gyruss

Absolutely no idea whats causing this, but when i try to access my webspace which was setup ages ago.. http://gyruss.www.idnet.com  i get 'Forbidden  You don't have permission to access / on this server ?

Its worked up until today (i think, as i've not tried to access it in all honesty much), but as i host things like images there mostly for forum signatures, i am finding images suddenly missing from posts i make due to access issues?

Anyone else getting this? or are these outages a regular thing if its a server issue?
Jase

Rik

It's working fine here on my space. The offices have just closed so I can't check with anyone. I'd suggest you drop support an email, or call the out of hours number, depending on how urgent you feel it is. 01462 476556
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

gyruss

I have no web issues on any other webspace, my firefox 3 webbrowser fully trusts the idnet.com domain in 'noscript', and i keep getting this 403 forbidden.  How odd.

Internet Explorer 7: displays ;'The website declined to show this webpage' Most likely causes: This website requires you to login.

Yet i'm browsing forums, with no issues. 

I will indeed email idnet support i think
Jase

Sebby

Is there no index document by any chance?

Rik

Good point, can you FTP to the page, Gyruss?
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Theoretically, the error should be "directory listing denied", but I just wonder if this is the same thing.

vitriol

getting the same error here

Simon

For what it's worth, mine is also fine.  As has been suggested, can you guys access via FTP, and if so, check that an index.htm is present?
Simon.
--

JB

Quote from: vitriol on Jul 11, 2008, 20:27:32
getting the same error here

Getting a 403 error here as well. Although I thought it was working this morning.

In Spain at present so can't ftp into IDNet from Telefonica. Could log into my linux box in UK and do it that way but too many cerveza's to worry atm. :bed:

JB.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

gyruss

Sorry, will test ftp now.  I'll create some sort of index page even if its a dummy page for now.  Mostly use my webspace to host forum images, in-game screenshots and the like (MMO's), so will fire up a dummy index.htm and upload that if it lets me login to it.
Jase

Baz

seems a strange address format to me with the WWW in the middle...........I dont know  ???

Rik

IDNet tossed a coin, Baz. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Baz

gyruss

ftp'd to my webspace a dummy index.htm file and yes can call up that page with the url.

What i was able to do before though without having the index.htm there was see the list of files on my webspace which was handy.  If i can't have that any more due to some change or other. thats fine, but this now means i have to log my ftp client on just to see the files?
Jase

Rik

Afaik, no index file has always meant no access to the URL, but if you knew the full name of a file, you could access that.
Rik
--------------------

vitriol

I too can access via ftp, I can see all of my uploaded files in the ftp browser.

I still get the permision error if I just put the url in the address bar.

psp83

FTP into your account again.. In your FTP options.. Choose to show hidden files..

Do you have a .htaccess file?

if you do, download it and open in notepad (make a backup first)..

Does it contain something like:-
IndexIgnore *
OR
IndexIgnore *.gif *.jpg

if it does, remove it and re upload.

If you dont have a .htaccess file, create one.

how?

Open notepad.
Copy and paste the following "Options +Indexes" without the quotes

Save the notepad file as htaccess.txt

Upload it to the folder you want to list all files in. Rename htaccess.txt on the server to .htaccess

Then try the folder you want to list things in.. You should now see a list of all the files (if IDnet supports .htaccess)

psp83

Just tried it myself and IDnet don't support .htaccess files.

Send them an email and see if they can enable it there end.

Rik

I wonder if a setting got changed when the webspace was restored, Paul?
Rik
--------------------

psp83

if its a new server and they only restored user files then that could be the case. the new server might not be setup in the same way..

Either get them to turn on .htaccess support in apache or enable folder indexes.

Even better, get them to get php on the server  ;)

vitriol

it had been working since it came back up after the email dramas.  It's only since yesterday that I haven't been able to access.

Sebby

I think this might be one for IDNet support, guys.

Rik

Quote from: psp83 on Jul 12, 2008, 12:51:47
Even better, get them to get php on the server  ;)

Ain't gonna happen. ;)
Rik
--------------------

gyruss

Anyone know off the top of their head what the costs are for hosted ?  I'm well out of practice with my website construction, in fact the last time I made one, i used frontpage 2000, but since then so many new technologies have come into play and it would be nice to have a pet project on the go :)
Jase

Rik

Take a look at 1&1 packages from £2.43pm.
Rik
--------------------