BT letter

Started by Noreen, Jul 14, 2008, 17:48:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Good for Tiscali (and you won't often hear me say that!). :)

I didn't like the bit in the report which said:

"As usage increases so will the pressures on ISPs thinks Arash Amel, an analyst with research group Screen Digest.

"The standalone ISP business model is looking increasingly shaky. For every gigabyte of data customers use the bigger the costs for ISPs and their small profits start to disappear," he said.

He believes only firms with other businesses, such as Sky and CarphoneWarehouse, can survive long-term. "
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Noreen

Well, to be honest I think that it will get harder. Big companies are offering more for less as far as the general public are concerned.

Rik

I agree. Companies like IDNet are going to have to distinguish themselves in other ways to survive. I'm sure that Simon and Tim must be thinking hard about just how.
Rik
--------------------

bob_s

I find it a little amusing that tiscali / pipex are considering legal action against bt for the letter.

And to take legal for falsehood, would that be like saying they provide "unlimited downloads" ;D

Rik

Good point, Bob.  ;)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: bob_s on Jul 22, 2008, 22:08:44
I find it a little amusing that tiscali / pipex are considering legal action against bt for the letter.

And to take legal for falsehood, would that be like saying they provide "unlimited downloads" ;D
To be fair they do provide unlimited problems though ;)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Sebby

Quote from: Killhippie on Jul 23, 2008, 09:35:03
To be fair they do provide unlimited problems though ;)

:rofl:

jimc

surely some of these people's details should have been removed from the databases if they had left that provider ?
maybe one for the data protection act ?

regards
Jim

Gary

Quote from: jimc on Jul 23, 2008, 23:07:57
surely some of these people's details should have been removed from the databases if they had left that provider ?
maybe one for the data protection act ?

regards
Jim
I think they are allowed to keep your details for X amount of time, Rik will probably know for sure :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

The Act, iirc, says a reasonable period of time (why do we always draft laws that cost a fortune in the courts to be defined?). For an ISP, I don't think that should be very long, myself.

Oh, and there is one oddity in the Act, data can be kept indefinitely if it's to identify you as not wanting to receive mailings from the company.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

I'm certain Pipex will still be holding my details from 18 months ago. ::)

Simon

They must be, to have sent out those 'job application' letters!
Simon.
--

Lance

That really is odd, Rik. Surely if they haven't got your data anyway then the have no details to contact you!
Lance
_____

Rik

If they buy a mailing list, they have to check it against people who have opted out. In order to do so, they are allowed to keep your data on file. Weird but true.  :shake:
Rik
--------------------