Warning letters

Started by Steve, Jul 23, 2008, 23:00:57

Previous topic - Next topic

vitriol

que mass exodus of people from those ISP's.  Once they see their business dwindling will they still be taking action?

somanyholes

QuoteI'll pass that along, would hate to see her or her parents get in trouble, she only downloads a few songs now and then, for crying out I taped loads of music back in he day, its he same difference, just with new technology

have a look at songbird, when installed use the skreemr button, type in a track name, and hey presto you have legitimate music that is unlikely to be tracked as it's downloaded from websites not from p2p environments  ;)

Steve

Yes, but looking at the list some of them will be on long term contracts. I know it sounds stupid but I ask the question will they still be liable for a service they cannot connect to for the remaining portion of the contract? I am presuming they will be liable otherwise its sounds a good way of escaping a poor provider.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

somanyholes

an example here. The top half you can see shows music you can stream, the bottom half shows music you can download.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tacitus

Quote from: stevethegas on Jul 24, 2008, 08:32:56
But why have they waited until its completely broke before fixing it

Growing businesses (eg software) brings increased revenue.  Increased revenue for a government is antithetical to long term thinking, they tend to leave well alone.

Quote from: stevethegas on Jul 24, 2008, 08:32:56
I thought people certainly young people were not purchasing hard copy any more, hence the reason for the clampdown by the music industry as revenue and profitability has fallen.

Buy one CD and rip it.  You then part exchange it for another which you rip.  Another person does the same.  One CD bought = many users.  A lot of the stuff, certainly on the student stall with which I'm most familiar is not the very latest stuff (or so it appears to me  :), but it's by no means old.  It's not as cheap as 'free', but you can rip it in whatever format you like: mp3, AAC, lossless, OGG etc.

Gary

Quote from: somanyholes on Jul 24, 2008, 09:24:46
an example here. The top half you can see shows music you can stream, the bottom half shows music you can download.
That's really useful, So I shall pass that on
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

talos2

I freely admit to using P to Peer software to download music, the kind of music I like are the "oldies" 60s,50s etc , music you just cant get any other way, shure the music companies will sell you a compilation at an inflated price, but how much better it would be if the put them up on their own websites as downloads for a few pence each, I would willingly pay esp if the proceeds where going to the original artists.
EX Orange and proud of it.

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

MoHux

I believe this link has been posted before.  But for any who like vintage music and may have missed/forgotten it;

Here  or should I say 'Hear'!!  ::)

Mo
;D
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Noreen

Yes, I posted it ages ago, Mo. Great isn't it? Good to remind people. ;D

madasahatter

Quote from: Inactive on Jul 24, 2008, 00:56:26
If the music/film industry were not so greedy, and didn't charge so much, people may well be tempted to pay for stuff, I have no sympathy with them.

Totally agree - that is the real problem. If legal downloads were properly priced, then a lot more peeps would do that. What the industry doesn't want you to see is that they take most of the money and give the artists a very small percentage - all their bleating about "it's taking money away from the artists" is utter rubbish - it's the hit to their own very large pockets caused by illegal downloading that they are really worried about, and a few thousand quid in donations here and there is a pittance to them.

D-Dan

Quote from: talos on Jul 24, 2008, 11:40:07
I freely admit to using P to Peer software to download music, the kind of music I like are the "oldies" 60s,50s etc , music you just cant get any other way, shure the music companies will sell you a compilation at an inflated price, but how much better it would be if the put them up on their own websites as downloads for a few pence each, I would willingly pay esp if the proceeds where going to the original artists.

I, too, have used P2P to download oldies. And I freely admit it, since I'm not breaking the law. Copyright expires after 50 years, and my preferred genre is 50's stuff - which is out of copyright.

Of course, how would the "police" know what was copyright, and when copyright had expired.

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

rst1978

I may be barking up the wrong tree but....

BT advertises this on their website as part of their broadband package..

BT Digital Vault – 5GB15GB storage
Included with BT Total Broadband
2,000 Photos
1,000 Music files
5 Video files
500 Documents

So you can upload music and movies to I'm assuming BT servers who are in a roundabout way downloading them from your pc, do BT own the rights to store these files?  Will they send a letter to themselves? I'm guessing not.

Rik

I suspect that, somewhere in the small print, they put the copyright onus on the user.  :( Shame, it would have been nice to add that to the Phorm case.
Rik
--------------------

john

Quote from: madasahatter on Jul 26, 2008, 12:37:27
Totally agree - that is the real problem. If legal downloads were properly priced, then a lot more peeps would do that. What the industry doesn't want you to see is that they take most of the money and give the artists a very small percentage - all their bleating about "it's taking money away from the artists" is utter rubbish - it's the hit to their own very large pockets caused by illegal downloading that they are really worried about, and a few thousand quid in donations here and there is a pittance to them.

:iagree:

vitriol

It's a shame that you can't buy direct from the artist.

Rik

That's the ultimate solution, and one the record companies fear.
Rik
--------------------