World's biggest ISPs drag feet on critical DNS patch

Started by Gary, Jul 25, 2008, 11:22:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

"More than two weeks after security researchers warned of a critical defect in the net's address lookup system, some of the world's biggest internet service providers - including AT&T, BT, Time Warner and Bell Canada - have yet to install a patch inoculating their subscribers against attacks" And in the wild attacks are now taking place for this exploit, Ah that lovely safe and warm feeling massive corporations give when they just do not care, but smile and pretend.

Story here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/25/isps_slow_to_patch/

You can check your DNS here to see if its safe http://www.doxpara.com/ Just press the "Check my DNS button" O2/BE came out safe thankfully for me :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Jul 25, 2008, 11:25:57
We appear to be OK.
Thats good Rik, the list of providers not patched is pretty much all the major players

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Jul 25, 2008, 11:34:40
I bet I could name them....  ;D
Click the El Reg link and you can see them, In :) but you would be right  ;D

Sebby

Noreen

Quote from: Killhippie on Jul 25, 2008, 11:22:52
"More than two weeks after security researchers warned of a critical defect in the net's address lookup system, some of the world's biggest internet service providers - including AT&T, BT, Time Warner and Bell Canada - have yet to install a patch inoculating their subscribers against attacks" And in the wild attacks are now taking place for this exploit, Ah that lovely safe and warm feeling massive corporations give when they just do not care, but smile and pretend.

Story here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/25/isps_slow_to_patch/
According to an update on your link BT are not among "the usual suspects".

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Jul 25, 2008, 18:30:06
That makes a change, Noreen. ;)
Probably want to make sure there are no issues with Phorm, having dns redirected would ruin the plotting of users personal browsing habits >:D

Gary

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Sebby

Gary

I wonder why some got more green greats than others on the same network, router maybe? Exclude me I'm on be/o2 but Rik got two and Noreen 4 and Simon 6 ???

Inactive

I thought that they were just adding each " 2 " on to the previous total Gary..????
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Simon

Quote from: Inactive on Jul 29, 2008, 11:14:10
I thought that they were just adding each " 2 " on to the previous total Gary..????

Yes, that's what I was doing.  I got 2.  Sorry for the confusion!   :blush:
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Inactive on Jul 29, 2008, 11:14:10
I got six greats straight off in ??? that's why I was confused, ill re-check
*edit I got six greats on the page  ???, different set ups and ISP I guess

somanyholes

It looks like it might be down to the amount of nameservers you have specified which could be 1 or 2 or 3

each nameserver has two tests made against it

source port and transaction id

Noreen

I wondered about that too, Gary. I really did get four. Netgear router on IDNet.

somanyholes

four would be what i would expect to see.

We normally use two nameservers, which would result in 4 results. Not many people use a 3rd nameserver

Gary

I got 6 but maybe as its adsl2+ its different for me ??? still odd that simon and Rik got 2, so. I'm on a netgear DG834G v4 maybe its because they use 2wire routers

somanyholes

how many nameservers does it list at the top of the page?