Wow, what a surprise

Started by Rik, Mar 10, 2011, 09:52:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

The BBC reports that:

QuotePeople relying on home wi-fi are getting significantly slower speeds than from their fixed broadband connection, research suggests.

The study ran one million tests over 14,000 wi-fi connections in the UK, US, Spain and Italy.

On average, the results showed a 30% drop-off compared to the speed coming into the home.

However, the research also suggests that users tolerate slower speeds in exchange for the freedom wi-fi offers.

"People are voting with their feet and trading speed for the benefits of mobility," said Iain Wood, from network measurement firm Epitiro, which carried-out the study.

He said that researchers were "surprised" by the amount of drop-off in speed but that for the majority of consumers the slower connection would not be noticed.

"Most of us do e-mailing and web surfing and for these things there is precious little difference between the 50Mb/s services and an 8Mb/s service," he said.

<snip>

For those unhappy with their home wi-fi, there are some simple measures that can be taken to improve their connections.

"Firstly people can change channels on their wi-fi router to reduce interference. If they live in flats or urban locations there are likely to be other routers operating on the same channel," said Mr Wood.

Other devices in the home, such as baby monitors, TV remotes and cordless phones can also cause interference.

And for those wanting to download video, the speed issue is resolved simply by plugging the laptop or other wireless device into the router, said Mr Wood.

They could have just asked us. :shake:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

It's even slower if you have cable or FTTC and only a 802.11b modem.  ;)
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

Remote controls?  That's a new one. 
Simon.
--

Rik

I suppose there may be some wireless remotes, but I can't say I've seen one.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

I thought they were all wireless.  That's the point.   :out:
Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

esh

Since this current wireless technology is clearly not up to the job I suggest the following wireless technique.

The main PC that has your FTTC connection plugged in should modulate the data and play it out of the PC speaker. Other computers can use their built-in microphone to pick this up and translate it back to digital. To reach upstairs with sufficient quality you should only need 120 dB on the speaker/router. What could possibly go wrong?
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Technical Ben

I suggest using Gamma rays. They go through anything with quite a punch...  :whistle:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Polchraine

Quote from: esh on Mar 12, 2011, 00:46:18
Since this current wireless technology is clearly not up to the job I suggest the following wireless technique.

The main PC that has your FTTC connection plugged in should modulate the data and play it out of the PC speaker. Other computers can use their built-in microphone to pick this up and translate it back to digital. To reach upstairs with sufficient quality you should only need 120 dB on the speaker/router. What could possibly go wrong?

dB what?

dB (A) relative to 1W at 1 metre   or relative to 1mW or 1kW ...  ?

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

pctech

Good ol' Cat5/5e is still the best.

Gary

Have to say using the 5Ghz spectrum my speeds are not shabby at all, how long till that gets filled up is anyone's guess though.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't