Windows Home Server

Started by Ray, Jul 30, 2008, 15:07:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

You mean the size of the hole in my pocket ;D
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Same diff. ;D Never had a hobby which didn't do that to me. :)
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Me neither, come to think of it. ;D

Rik

Hobbies aren't cheap - which is unfortunate given that when you've got time to indulge most, you probably haven't go the money. :)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I think a better DAC than the squeezebox one is required for "HiFi" use this one is well rated and very cheap for this type of product.
Steve
------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Rik

Life is never as simple as it should be, Steve. :(
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Steve, I checked SqueezeCenter on my WHS box, and I don't have it installed, I ran it from my laptop
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Quote from: Glenn on Dec 30, 2008, 19:11:36
Steve, I checked SqueezeCenter on my WHS box, and I don't have it installed, I ran it from my laptop

Thanks Glen. You should try it on the WHS works well apart from the issue I have at present which I feel is not WHS related as XP users have reported similar issues with high cpu activity, trying one of the nightly builds so far so good :fingers:
Steve
------------

Sebby

Glenn

Quote from: stevethegas on Dec 30, 2008, 19:22:30
Thanks Glen. You should try it on the WHS works well apart from the issue I have at present which I feel is not WHS related as XP users have reported similar issues with high cpu activity, trying one of the nightly builds so far so good :fingers:

Installed on WHS, after 3hours scanning I now have access to all my music via the server.

For some strange, my Duet handset connects wirelessly, but the Squeezebox won't?
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

I've not got to grips with SqueezeCenter yet, my receiver is connected via "mains" ethernet and the controller wirelessly to the router.Can you access the SQ server library via the controller? and also using SqueezePlay or SoftSqueeze on a PC should confirm server functionality
Steve
------------

Glenn

Thats the same way as mine is connected, apart from the 'mains' bit. I can see everything from the handset via the music library
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Can you see the player in squeezecenter? what colour is the light on the receiver? what file format is the music? none of which should matter as you've had it working before on the laptop. I followed the instruction for SC install as  per  https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/56, it set the firewall automatically only had to change the web interface port because of conflict with twonky.Then enabled it as a service.
Steve
------------

Steve

More WHS tinkering, added system restore this morning http://forum.wegotserved.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4953&pid=32434&st=0&#entry32434 see automated installer post #10 . Need to to turn off monitoring manually on all other entries apart from C:\ Strange it can back all your clients up but not itself. It is obviously an unsupported hack but having had to reinstall over the weekend when an add in uninstall took the whole sytem down I am hopeful that this is a step forward.
Steve
------------

Steve

After a major embarrassment (disabled the network adaptor on headless WHS whilst attempting to do the same with the firewall) :bawl:
I have managed to get SqueezeCenter running as a service on the WHS with a library of some 4,400 flac encoded songs.

As I cannot be generally bothered setting up playlists. I have added this MusicIp Mixer This software as described on the web page will generate a playlist for you depending on the type of song/music you are currently playing. So when one track is finished another is ready to go. It takes a while to validate your library and archive its findings to your music ID tags.

I used the slim devices wiki here to set up Musicip and the headless version and another very useful site called Spicefly. I used their own spicefly plugin for squeezecenter called SugarCube to generate the playlists. Its a time consuming project to tackle but not difficult once the files are tagged correctly.

I now have a playlist based on the song playing i.e

Heart Full of Soul
While My Guitar Gently Weeps II (Disc 2 of 2)
Various Artists

The Song Remains the Same
Mothership (disc 2)
Led Zeppelin

All the Young Dudes
While My Guitar Gently Weeps II (Disc 1 of 2)
Various Artists

I Want It All
Greatest Hits II
Queen

Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through
Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell
Meat Loaf

MusicIP Mixer can be installed on most machines, Squeezecenter etc is not required. I think its a useful way of enjoying your music library.
Steve
------------

Rik

Do you ever have time to listen to the music, though, Steve? ;)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Listening now via Squeezeplay beta on the laptop which is synchronised to a Squeezebox receiver in the lounge, although it looks like I can generate a separate playlist for this as well. Must promise myself not to break the server whilst its working. ;D
Steve
------------

Rik

;D

Sounds like a plan, Steve.  ;)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Pleasant surprise! When I purchased Perfectdisk 2008 I must have forgot I had upgrade protection so now running PerfectDisk10 on WHS and clients. What's the difference? No idea yet apart from GUI ;D
Steve
------------

Sebby

What's upgrade protection? I don't remember having that option when I bought it a couple of years ago.

Steve

Having now looked back at the receipt, I got a discount on the original software purchase so I spent it on extended support and upgrade protection.
Steve
------------

Rik

I think Gary did the same, Steve.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Looking for a volunteer to try this WHS version of Squeezecenter. ;D

Not seen it before in the nightly downloads. I have asked for more info @ slim devices forum before I delve in as my current standard windows exe installation works very well.

Steve
------------

Lance

Maybe you need to get a second WHS, Steve, as a test bed for anything new you might implement on the live server?  ;D
Lance
_____