Windows Home Server

Started by Ray, Jul 30, 2008, 15:07:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray

Well after much deliberation I've decided to convert my spare PC into a Server, so have just ordered a copy of Windows Home Server and a new 500gb Seagate Barracuda drive from Ebuyer, to add to the 2 spare 250gb Barracudas that I already have all to be install in the Server PC. I'll keep you informed as to how well it works (or not).  :fingers: :)
Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

What do you see as the advantages for you, Ray?
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Jul 30, 2008, 15:08:31
What do you see as the advantages for you, Ray?

I'm mainly interested in the data protection aspect, Rik, I can get all my data in one place and access it from either my main machine or my Laptop. Additionally both my machines will be backed up automatically on a daily basis and will also have the capability to do a complete system restore if I lose an HD for any reason. I've found from experience that Imaging software is not as reliable as it could be and have had one or two instances recently where it has failed on me, one this weekend in fact, fortunately I'd done a test restore of an image of my C: drive to a spare HD about 3 weeks age so was able to clone that back onto my C: drive to get me running again.  :(

I sometimes also need to give other people access to photos or Videos which will be a lot easier with a server. Finally I will get rid of 2 external HDs off my desk as the 2 250gb ones that I will be fitting are currently in external enclosures on my desk.  :)
Ray
--------------------

Rik

Are you going to run the server off a UPS?
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Jul 30, 2008, 15:42:22
Are you going to run the server off a UPS?

Yes, Rik, I've already got one that I use to run my router and that is capable of running the server PC as well.
Ray
--------------------

Rik

So the next thing you need is a gigabit switch. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Jul 30, 2008, 15:56:06
So the next thing you need is a gigabit switch. ;)

Already using one, Rik.  ;)
Ray
--------------------

Rik

That's you sorted then, Ray. I'll be round with a length of cable. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Jul 30, 2008, 16:01:17
That's you sorted then, Ray. I'll be round with a length of cable. ;)

Right, see you shortly then, Rik.  :)
Ray
--------------------

Rik

If only. It would be fun to form a WAN among forum members. :)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Jul 30, 2008, 16:06:00
If only. It would be fun to form a WAN among forum members. :)
That would be fun Rik ;D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

I'll send you one end of a cable in the post... ;D
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Jul 30, 2008, 16:51:28
I'll send you one end of a cable in the post... ;D

Well that's 3 of us connected up then, Rik.  ;D
Ray
--------------------

Rik

I bet the route the cables took would be a little weird, Ray. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Ray you won't regret it, it is possibly the best OS that Microsoft have made, it does what it says on the tin. http://forum.wegotserved.co.uk/ is a forum dedicated to the OS and the Windows Home Server Bible is a good book too.

Once you have it installed make sure you download and install Power Pack 1, it contains the data corruption fix.
Glenn
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Glenn on Jul 30, 2008, 17:09:25
Ray you won't regret it, it is possibly the best OS that Microsoft have made, it does what it says on the tin. http://forum.wegotserved.co.uk/ is a forum dedicated to the OS and the Windows Home Server Bible is a good book too.

Once you have it installed make sure you download and install Power Pack 1, it contains the data corruption fix.

Thanks, Glenn, it certainly does appear that it is a very good piece of software I look forward to being able to use it, yes, I did noticed when I was looking at the MS site that there was a Power pack/fix available for download.  :thumb: :)
Ray
--------------------

Sebby

I'm still trying to find a reason why I need WHS. :P

Glenn

Here are a few reasons

1. You don't need to remember to do backups
2. If you need to rebuild your PC it takes about 20 - 30 mins to get it working how it was the day before with all apps installed.
3. A central location for all of your photos, music, videos that can be accessed from any networked PC/Laptop/Xbox/PS3
4. Host your own website
5. Host your own mailserver
6. Watch or listen to all your digital photos, music, videos anywhere with an internet connection
Glenn
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Glenn on Jul 30, 2008, 20:55:58
Here are a few reasons

1. You don't need to remember to do backups
2. If you need to rebuild your PC it takes about 20 - 30 mins to get it working how it was the day before with all apps installed.
3. A central location for all of your photos, music, videos that can be accessed from any networked PC/Laptop/Xbox/PS3
4. Host your own website
5. Host your own mailserver
6. Watch or listen to all your digital photos, music, videos anywhere with an internet connection

That's it Glenn you sold me on it ;D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Glenn

Quote from: Killhippie on Jul 30, 2008, 20:58:46
That's it Glenn you sold me on it ;D

Maybe I should get a job as a salesman for MS  ;D
Glenn
--------------------

Sebby

Mail server you say? Does it make that easy?

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Sebby

Ray

Well the Windows Home Server is finally up and running nicely after a lot of grief, choice language  :eyebrow: and about 5 failed attempts to get it installed. The PC I was installing to uses a Via Sata controller, soon into the install I was being asked to install the storage drivers for this controller which you can do from a USB flash drive and it was copying these files and continuing with the install. All proceeded well and the PC rebooted and started loading the blue Windows setup screen when all comes to a grinding halt with an error 14 message that the driver file I'd installed wasn't available.

After much cursing and trawling the Microsoft WHS forum I found several others had come across this problem and it seems their is an issue whereby the install routine copies these files to the wrong place and then can't find them  ??? . Fortunately some one had found a work around for this that involved booting to a command prompt using a Windows Vista install dvd and going to the repair console. Not having one of these I thought I'll try using my BartPe rescue disk which enabled me to get to a command prompt create the correct directory for the driver files a copy them into it. Fortunately it worked and the installation completed without a hitch.  :yes:
After all that it was worth the effort but I was having serious doubts yesterday.  :o
Ray
--------------------