Rik

Quote from: Inactive on Aug 06, 2008, 23:21:31
Well make sure it is in basic terminology ..  ;D

10 PRINT "Hello World"
20 GOTO 10

;D :out:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

Upgraded the Scaleo 1900 WHS from 512Mb to 2GB and seems much more responsive, the WHSconsole performance can be a bit sluggish on occasions, went without a hitch must have got the right stick.
Kingston KVR533D2N4/2G Valueram 2GB 533MHz PC4200 DDR2 RAM Non-ECC CL4 DIMM

Trying out Perfectdisk2008 for WHS for a month seems to also have one client software license in the same package
Steve
------------

Ray

Steve which AV are you using I'm trying out the Avast Windows Home Server Edition at the moment this seem to be the only one released so far although F-secure seem to have an AV/Firewall in beta at the moment.

I'll have a look at the Perfectdisk 2008 for WHS as I'm already using their standard version on my PC and it seems to work well.  :thumb:
Ray
--------------------

Steve

Ray,I am not using any AV at present as I hope that the client pc's AV protection will keep the server "clean", as all file transfers at present come from a client. As you are aware the WHS console does warn of any potential client security risks. The only internet access at present is via windows update. I would presume that if I enable the webserver and/or start web browsing via remote desktop etc the I will have to improve the server protection especially now that the extra memory should give me more overhead for extra processes.

I have run perfectdisk2008 manually and it didn't seem to take very long at all.

I must admit the WHS is great fun at present not only as an automatic backup and a restore device that seems to work but in addition the media streaming aspect via twonky PVconnect or windows connect works well except for on internet radio but they seem to have a mind of their own. I understand WMP11 provides a better solution on the WHS than windows connect so that may be the next step.
Steve
------------

Glenn

Quote from: Sheltieuk on Aug 08, 2008, 11:40:05
Steve which AV are you using I'm trying out the Avast Windows Home Server Edition at the moment this seem to be the only one released so far although F-secure seem to have an AV/Firewall in beta at the moment.

I'll have a look at the Perfectdisk 2008 for WHS as I'm already using their standard version on my PC and it seems to work well.  :thumb:

Im using Avast on the 60 day trial, it seems to do the job just fine. If you are not going to connect to the outside world and only allow your own PC's onto the network you shouldn't need AV as the files will have been scanned by the PC/laptops first.
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Quote from: Glenn on Aug 08, 2008, 14:59:07
Im using Avast on the 60 day trial, it seems to do the job just fine. If you are not going to connect to the outside world and only allow your own PC's onto the network you shouldn't need AV as the files will have been scanned by the PC/laptops first.

Thats my logic anyway.I will think about Avast again when my kaspersky expires and look at WHS/multi-client licence
Steve
------------

Steve

Suppose I could PM this select and august group but has anyone managed to get a laptop to sleep again after a successful whs wakeup and backup and if so what power settings were successful :)
Steve
------------

Glenn

I only let it perform a backup if the laptop/PC is switched on so I haven't tried the wakeup option, sorry Steve
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Thanks Glen. Wakeup works fine. I will try Toff some people have had success with this program. Certainly in terms of efficiency I would prefer backups to be uninterrupted by other processes hence the wish for a  night time schedule
Steve
------------

Steve

Quote from microsoft ."The home computer backup solution in Windows Home Server has a single-instance store at the cluster level. Every backup is a full backup, but the home server only stores each unique cluster once. This creates the restore-time convenience of full backups (you don't have to repeat history) with the backup time performance of incremental backups."

I finally got round to reading some instructions when I looked at the data for last night's full backup of my laptop which only took 7 minutes over a wireless connection.

Slightly embarrassing as when I worked out my original hard disk requirements for the WHS I looked at the disk capacity on my clients and then added them up not realising  that individual cluster data is not duplicated amongst different client full backups or on a subsequent client backup. So as a result I have loads of spare GB's.

All well and good provided the backup database does not become corrupted.
Steve
------------

Rik

You can never have too much disk space, Steve. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

I have 2x 80Gb + 2x 750Gb, even with duplication turned on, I have 900Gb spare, but as Rik says, you can never have enough spare Gb's
Glenn
--------------------

Ray

I've got 2 x 250Gb and 2 x 500Gb disks installed in mine.
Ray
--------------------

Steve

I have similar capacity 3x500Gb but if I had read the earlier brief I would have delayed the 3rd purchase and then opted for a 1TB when required.
Steve
------------

Steve

Tried Avast WHS edition but even with 2GB of ram the console on the Scaleo 1900 became very sluggish, back to normal following uninstall, presumably not enough processor power Will try another one maybe?

Toff is working to place the clients in sleep following backup, both vista machines I use will not sleep automatically
Steve
------------

Steve

With regard to Avast for WHS,there are some odd posts around concerning WHS compliance,. The problem seems to relate to a suspicious file being found when folder duplication is enabled. There is the odd report of file corruption being reported by the server following removal to the chest.
Steve
------------

Steve

If you want to look behind the scenes and see what processes are being used,cpu and memory usage etc
Process explorer seems to do the job http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx.
Steve
------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Glenn

It's another example of how Britain is ripped off.

"F-Secure Home Server Security 2009 is priced at £39.95/$65.25/45 Euros meaning that the UK is paying the most for protecting their home servers! Boo F-Secure! A time limited trial download is also available."
Glenn
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Glenn on Sep 06, 2008, 06:51:10
It's another example of how Britain is ripped off.

"F-Secure Home Server Security 2009 is priced at £39.95/$65.25/45 Euros meaning that the UK is paying the most for protecting their home servers! Boo F-Secure! A time limited trial download is also available."

There's a way to get 10% off this price, Glenn, go to Fsecure uk site and click on the buy now button for the product and when your basket dispays, hit the browser back button, a page will now display offering you 10 % off.
Ray
--------------------

Steve

Unsure how long the F-Secure licence is valid for ? Avast is a yearly fee I believe.
Steve
------------

Ray

Quote from: stevethegas on Sep 06, 2008, 08:22:51
Unsure how long the F-Secure licence is valid for ? Avast is a yearly fee I believe.

It's a yearly Licence as well, Steve.
Ray
--------------------

Steve

Thanks Ray, If I am correct Avast is a similar price for 2 years.
Steve
------------