Moving

Started by VaderDSL, Jul 30, 2008, 13:39:26

Previous topic - Next topic

VaderDSL

Hi there, I saw on IDNet's page that they can't do migrations  ??? Is this right? when I move my tel. no. over to the new place with BT will I have to go ahead and re-order with them again?

QuoteCurrently you cannot transfer a service from one premises to another. Instead you will need to place a new provision order once the BT line has been installed and registered in your name. You should also request a cease order for the broadband at the old premises to complete the day you move house.

We can transfer your broadband log in details to the new account so you should not need to reconfigure your hardware, all email accounts will remain active and registered to you. Please note that all new provision orders incur the £47 activation fee charged by BT.

Cheers.

Lance

Unfortunately that is correct. The best thing you can do is when speaking to BT is get a simultaneous provide code, which you then pass to IDNet. This should then mean that your broadband is activated on the same day as the telephone line.

It may be worth saying it's not IDNet that won't do migrations, it's BT  :(
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Unfortunately, that's correct. A migration is when you move between ISPs on the same phone line. When you move house, though, BT regard it as a new provision, even if you take your phone number with you, and raise the charge. Essentially, it's because there is physical wiring work to be done at the exchange.

If you want to save downtime, ask BT to do a simultaneous provide. They will then give you a key, a bit like a MAC, which allows IDNet to order the service to be activated when BT do the voice line.

Or what Lance said. :)
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Lance
_____

Rik

Rik
--------------------

VaderDSL

Brilliant cheers, sorry if I sounded a bit suspicious of IDNet, was on a quick lunch break.

I shall try and get one of those codes, I move on Monday, but tomorrow will be my first day off so I'll get onto them :)

Ta

Rik

Have you got a date for the phone. If it's less than five working days, BT won't do a sim-provide.
Rik
--------------------

VaderDSL

Not sorted the line yet, I'm in ro real rush :) I'll phone them tomorrow and ask them if they can sort it for the latter part of next week.

Sebby

All the best. Let us know how you get on. It's a shame it's in BT's hands. ;)

VaderDSL

Ha! Rang up on the 31st of July, their installation date is ..... 29th August, what a joke.

Think I'll just not bother.

Lance

Is that for the actual telephone line?
Lance
_____

Sebby

Quote from: VaderDSL on Aug 01, 2008, 20:03:33
Ha! Rang up on the 31st of July, their installation date is ..... 29th August, what a joke.

Just for the line? :eek4:

VaderDSL

So they say. The thing is this building is about 2 years old, and the flat has been lived in before. All the flats have lines installed and hooked up to the exchange I'd imagine, I have no idea why they are saying this.

Also they want to charge me £124.99 to hook it up, but the line already exists  ::) so they'll do whatever they have to do at the exchange and that's it.

Am I right in thinking that if there is already a line, they can simply enable it from the exchange and the £124.99 is for the engineer to actually physically install the line?

Edit 2 : Bearing in mind I am moving literally 25 meters! And that is no joke!

Rik

They used to waive the charge in some circumstances, but these days that doesn't seem to happen, Openreach and all that. You can get a cheaper deal from the Post Office, but not hugely so.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

My Daughter just moved in to a house with an existing line, never got charged by BT, much to her amazement.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Sebby

There seems to be little consistency in what they do. ::)

Rik

I think they waive if the line has been active within the past 30 days or so. Sometimes...  :shake:
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Aug 03, 2008, 11:06:10
I think they waive if the line has been active within the past 30 days or so. Sometimes...  :shake:

That would be the case with my Daughters line..  :thumb:
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

didahdit

On the subject of migration I found the enclosed from my last ISP interesting.  I was confused when they sent me an invoicel as I had moved to IDNet during July.  I told them I had migrated and they came back with this.

There is no facility providing to Broadband suppilers which advises when you have successfully migrated away, which is why we ask customers to let us know once this has taken place, please accept my apologies if this was not made clear when you first contacted us.

Many thanks for letting us know that you have now migrated, please find enclosed below, confirmation of your cancellation.

Services requested to be closed - ADSL - 01243xxxxxx/ EN308726
xxxxxxxx@adsl.eclipse.co.uk

Date of Closure - 02/08/08 (takes into account the 30 day notice period from the date mac requested)

A pro rata credit/invoice may have been raised and will be posted to you shortly.

Kind Regards,

unquote

Strikes me as a funny state of affairs

Bob

Gary

Orange asked me that,  but I took that as they would lose the paper trail so needed my help, can't remember IDNet needing to ask me that question when that I moved to Be/O2, which says a lot about certain ISP's really  >:D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

BT are meant to tell the 'losing' ISP when migration is complete, Bob, but it seems they sometimes forget. :(
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: didahdit on Aug 05, 2008, 12:10:47
On the subject of migration I found the enclosed from my last ISP interesting.  I was confused when they sent me an invoicel as I had moved to IDNet during July.  I told them I had migrated and they came back with this.

There is no facility providing to Broadband suppilers which advises when you have successfully migrated away, which is why we ask customers to let us know once this has taken place, please accept my apologies if this was not made clear when you first contacted us.

Many thanks for letting us know that you have now migrated, please find enclosed below, confirmation of your cancellation.

Services requested to be closed - ADSL - 01243xxxxxx/ EN308726
xxxxxxxx@adsl.eclipse.co.uk

Date of Closure - 02/08/08 (takes into account the 30 day notice period from the date mac requested)

A pro rata credit/invoice may have been raised and will be posted to you shortly.

Kind Regards,

unquote

Strikes me as a funny state of affairs

Bob

I've removed some of your personal information - you never know who's around. ;)

Rik

Well spotted, Seb.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

didahdit

:karma:
Many thanks Sebby.  I just C & P'd it without editing.

Bob