Speedtest.net Odd Results

Started by net91, Aug 04, 2008, 15:08:53

Previous topic - Next topic

net91

I've just run a speed test on speedtest.net and came across something odd. If you use the reccomended server (maidenhead) I get results of a connection speed of below 2mb and a pingtime around 300/400 ms. However if I use the London server I get a connection speed around 6mb and a ping time in around 50/60ms. I've ran the tests a few time with each server. Does anybody have any idea of why I get these different results?

UPDATE: I get the same sort or speed results if I use the Dublin server, and a ping time in the 80s (which I'm guessing is because of the increased distance).
UPDATE 2: I seem to get a range of very similar results using a few of the closest servers (such as Madrid, Brussels), so the maidenhead on seems to be the odd one.
Dan

Rik

TBH, Dan, I find the site unreliable. Maybe the Maidenhead server is particularly busy atm...
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

net91

Yhea. Are the speed indicators on router status pages reliable?
Dan

Rik

Depends what you mean, Dan. All they normally show is the synch speed.
Rik
--------------------

net91

I just mean the connection speed. (If that is the same as sync speed  ???)
Dan

Rik

Connection speed and sync speed are indeed the same thing, Dan. Unfortunately, BT then slice a chunk of that speed off with their profile system before you get to send or receive any data. So they are reliable for showing the speed of your connection, but it only bears some resemblance to what speeds you experience.
Rik
--------------------

net91

Ok, thanks for the information Rik.  :thumb:

I originally was just wondering wheather this test router from IDNET I'm trying was giving me different speeds. The speeds are about what they normally are (ignoring the Maidenhead result).
Dan

Rik

How do the connection stats compare to your own router?
Rik
--------------------

net91

I can't log into this router as I don't have the password, I wonder wheather IDNET would give me the password or they don't want it tampering with. I could however use a tool reccomended on here to get stats, I'll find out...
Dan

Rik

Try your account login password. ;)
Rik
--------------------

net91

Dan

Rik

They are usually set up that way. Luckily. :)
Rik
--------------------

net91

The sync speeds are the same as my router, I don't know what else to look for to be honest. A screenshot of the stats page is attached if it's of any relevance.

As for using IDNET's router I do see the "looking up..." message but only very briefly. As of yet I've not been paused on it for any amount of time. Hopefully it stays that way  :fingers:.

I did notice that the router has the DNS servers manually entered rather than set to pick them up automatically.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dan

Rik

Well, the connection looks healthy enough. Manually entering the DNS shouldn't, theoretically, make any difference. Once the connection is established, so are the DNS servers.

If it does cure the problem, though, then the cure is going to be simple. :)
Rik
--------------------

net91

Yes, it seems slightly odd, but I'm hoping my router is malfunctioning. It would certainly be a simple solution to the problem.
Dan

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Lance

Quote from: Rik on Aug 04, 2008, 15:13:41
TBH, Dan, I find the site unreliable.

I don't trust any result that speedtest.net gives :)
Lance
_____

Simon

Just to prove how wildly inaccurate Speedtest.net can be, here are a couple I've just done.  Bear in mind, I'm on a normal IDNet Max package.

If only!  ;D
Simon.
--

Sebby

Quote from: Lance on Aug 04, 2008, 18:54:17
I don't trust any result that speedtest.net gives :)

Me neither. I tend to use the Namesco tester as it seems to be quite consistent.

Steve

Quote from: Simon on Aug 04, 2008, 20:43:26
Just to prove how wildly inaccurate Speedtest.net can be, here are a couple I've just done.  Bear in mind, I'm on a normal IDNet Max package.

If only!  ;D

I get similar and occasionally with namesco until I turn kaspersky internet security off, then I get sensible results. Why? anyone know?
Steve
------------

Simon

I have F-Secure Internet Security and get the same effects, Steve.  My best guess is some sort of anomaly with the firewall.
Simon.
--

Lance

My guess is that the antivirus caches the data being transferred and the speedtester is measuring the speed at which the antivirus passes the data back to the browser.
Lance
_____

Inactive

My guess is that you are both using flawed security programmes, you need to get AVG. :out: :duck: :duck: ;D
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Simon

Quote from: Lance on Aug 04, 2008, 23:01:17
My guess is that the antivirus caches the data being transferred and the speedtester is measuring the speed at which the antivirus passes the data back to the browser.

Ah, so you're talking about the web traffic monitors?  Makes sense.  Will have to try it with it off sometime.  :)

Quote from: Inactive on Aug 04, 2008, 23:54:54
My guess is that you are both using flawed security programmes, you need to get AVG. :out: :duck: :duck: ;D
Sorry, but...
Simon.
--

Steve

Quote from: Inactive on Aug 04, 2008, 23:54:54

In, I am surprised,AVG v8 is a perfect example of bloatware, might as well go the whole hog and use Vista ;D
Steve
------------