ATA box for Voip

Started by lostgeographer, Aug 06, 2008, 11:55:39

Previous topic - Next topic

lostgeographer

Dear all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for an ata box (for VOIPP) that integrates well with idnet's service.
There are a number of atas sold be ipchat  - see http://www.ipchitchat.com/products/atarouter.htm - and I have heard good things about the linksys. Idnet doesn't provide their own voip service so they have not tested hardware - maybe someone out there has?

I am using a speedtouch 585 router - though thinking about upgrading to the netgear one currently being supported by idnet (dg834g).

Maybe this should be posted on the 'tweaks, tips and tutorials' forum?

thanks
mitch

Rik

Hi Mitch and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

I can't help you directly, as I don't use VOIP, but hang around and someone who does will be along shortly.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Lance

Lance
_____

Simon

:welc:  Mitch!  Sorry, I can't help either, but we do have members who use VOIP, so sit tight and I'm sure someone will be along soon.  :)
Simon.
--

Sebby

:welc: :karma:

I'm another one that doesn't use VoIP, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help. :)

Ted

Hi Mitch
Try a PM to g7pkf, (Dean) he uses voip a lot so should be able to help.
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

Dean hasn't been in for the past six weeks or so, Ted. :(
Rik
--------------------

Ted

Quote from: Rik on Aug 06, 2008, 16:41:46
Dean hasn't been in for the past six weeks or so, Ted. :(

Oh! hadn't realized, perhaps he's been lurking and will see the post anyway. He would be the man to ask though.
Ted

Rik

He's definitely the man we need, Ted, but he's not been lurking unfortunately. :(

Congratulations on your 500th post and 'elevation', btw, you look very grand. ;D :karma: :congrats:
Rik
--------------------

lostgeographer

Thanks all for warm welcome - I sent a pm to dean as suggested (can't hurt). Meanwhile will see what comes up. Thanks again.
best
m

g7pkf

Right okay here's a good heads up for you all.

Forget grandstream unless you want to be setting it up and downloading firmware for a week or three.

other things to watch out for check if you can default to dialling out your pstn, it really pis***s of other members of the family if they have to dial a set nimber to dial out over pstn.

also ensure the ata does pstn and callerid pass through.

the best IMHO (for residential use) and they have one several awards are fritzbox by avm

fritzbox

They are not the cheapest but at least they work with only about 5 mins of setting up.

i have tested them on sipgate, coms and my work and they work fine.

If you go to the sipgate or coms sites they list ata'a.

My suggestion is to decide on a voip provider then buy the equipment from them (check it out first-ask the right questions) it comes pre-configured (genrally) and will be a simple case of "plug it in".

my first choice used to be sipgate but now i am flavouring comms as sipgate can be a bit funny to set up on wireless voip handsets, comms just seems to work (and tech support is a bit like idnet-emails returned within a very short space of time)

Regards

dean AKA G7PKF

Rik

It works! We start talking about you and you turn up. ;D How are you, Dean?
Rik
--------------------

g7pkf

Quote from: Rik on Aug 07, 2008, 09:50:58
It works! We start talking about you and you turn up. ;D How are you, Dean?

Busy rebuilding workshop after extension and work has gone balistic-doing 60-70 hour week at present.
hence no time for lurking on any forums. SORRY....just pm me if anything comes up, or Rik email me on my work address.

Dean

Rik

Will do, Dean. How's the extension coming on?
Rik
--------------------

g7pkf

nearly finished have a look

extension

dean

Inactive

Very impressive dean, love the number plate.. ;)
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

That's quite some structure, Dean. I'd imagine you'll breath a sigh of relief when it's finished. I suppose there's no prize for guessing which is your car? ;D
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Nice to hear from you, Dean. Good luck with the rest of the work. :)

Ted

Quote from: Rik on Aug 06, 2008, 17:39:18

Congratulations on your 500th post and 'elevation', btw, you look very grand. ;D :karma: :congrats:

thanks, i never even noticed  :blush:

Nice one Dean, i saw "voip" and immediately thought of you. Good to see things are going well.  :thumb:
Ted

lostgeographer

Hey Dean

Thank you for the help and the long response. I will follow your guidance. However, my situation is a bit more complicated. Truth is I am an American living in the UK (10 years this October!) and my voip service is based in the US (vonage). Basically I use it so I can have a local American number in the UK.

Vonage UK does list an ata to use with their service (d-link vta). My guess that vonage US and vonage UK are the same service so it would probably work fine.

That said I will follow your advice and call tech support to make sure it has pstn and callerid pass through.

The other option is the fritzbox you mention. I am thinking of updating my wireless router anyway so maybe this is a better way to go. I am assume it has qos? Will take a look.

Thanks again for your help
Best
mitch