It looks like WBC implementation is slipping

Started by Rik, Aug 12, 2008, 09:13:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

I just got an update from Samknows:

BT Wholesale have updated the Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC) enablement date for the Wolverton exchange to 31/03/2009 (Was previously 18/11/2008).

21CN by 2020 anyone? ;D
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Aug 12, 2008, 09:13:45

BT Wholesale have updated the Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC) enablement date for the Wolverton exchange to 31/03/2009 (Was previously 18/11/2008).

21CN by 2020 anyone? ;D
By the time its all activated it will be hopelessly outdated anyway, just look at Paris and the fiber/wifi network they have across the whole city :sigh: no enthusiasm or government funding to push ahead with this technology here unlike in some countries, all we get is Phorm and legal wrangles :mad:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

But we do outdated so well in this country, Gary.  ::)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Aug 12, 2008, 09:53:08
But we do outdated so well in this country, Gary.  ::)
Very true, just look at the royal family  :zip:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Aug 12, 2008, 10:05:28
I'd hide before Den gets here, Gary. ;D
;D Say it as you see it, then scarper hey >:D

Noreen

21CN by 2020 anyone? ;D
Just checked my exchange, Rik. It was August 08 and now is March 09. However I'm not sure what difference it will make anyway.

Rik

It will allow IDNet to offer you a new service, based on ADSL2+, Noreen.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Aug 12, 2008, 10:46:27

Given the state of my line Rik, I doubt it will make the slightest difference.  The only thing that would improve matters is about a mile or so of new cable and I can't see that happening any time soon.   :sigh:

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Gary

Quote from: Tacitus on Aug 12, 2008, 10:55:11
Given the state of my line Rik, I doubt it will make the slightest difference.  The only thing that would improve matters is about a mile or so of new cable and I can't see that happening any time soon.   :sigh:
Going to the O2/Be LLU adsl2+ service put our line speed up by about 3MB syncing at 7043 at this time, so it can help sometimes. If Idnet was to offer that I would be back within a blink of an eye.

Noreen

Looking at my exchange page again, I get.......
21CN WBC status: RFS date set : 31/03/2009
21CN PSTN switchover target: Q4 2008.
So what does that mean?

Simon

Mine is:

21CN PSTN switchover target: Q3 2008
Simon.
--

Tacitus

Quote from: Killhippie on Aug 12, 2008, 11:02:39
Going to the O2/Be LLU adsl2+ service put our line speed up by about 3MB syncing at 7043 at this time, so it can help sometimes. If Idnet was to offer that I would be back within a blink of an eye.

The problem is the attn - 56/57dB, with sporadic bursts of noise.  Under these conditions I didn't think ADSL2 would make much, if any, difference.  Could be wrong though, and if it was offered I'd give it a try.

vitriol

Mine was due 2009, now says not available !

:mad:

Inactive

I ain't fussed, I am quite happy with my existing connection, at least it works, if BT get near the line, who knows.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Den

History and Tradition are never outdated, only music and technology.  >:D ;D
Mr Music Man.

David

Quote from: Rik on Aug 12, 2008, 10:46:27
I have been looking on samknows but cant find the info,I thought my exchange had already been activated for this last month....Im none the wiser though  ???
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

Quote from: Noreen on Aug 12, 2008, 11:08:47
Looking at my exchange page again, I get.......
21CN PSTN switchover target: Q4 2008.
So what does that mean?

The WBC product (Wholesale Broadband Connection, iirc) will activate at the end of March. The new 21CN network (primarily a voice thing) the end of this year. The latter will mean some outages as the changeover date approaches.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Tacitus on Aug 12, 2008, 12:29:38
The problem is the attn - 56/57dB, with sporadic bursts of noise.  Under these conditions I didn't think ADSL2 would make much, if any, difference.  Could be wrong though, and if it was offered I'd give it a try.

I'm in the same position, Tac, at that point on the graph where the ADSL and ADSL2+ speeds converge. For us, I suspect there will be little or no benefit.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Aug 12, 2008, 14:05:30
I'm in the same position, Tac, at that point on the graph where the ADSL and ADSL2+ speeds converge. For us, I suspect there will be little or no benefit.

I agree Rik.  If there were any speed benefits they would be slight and most likely outweighed by an increase in disconnects.  No doubt I'd give it a try but I wouldn't be hopeful. 

It's only when voice transmission starts to fail they'll do anything about the cable.  By then I'll probably be in a harp band somewhere.....

Rik

Marginally better than an oompah band, Tac. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

I had a att of 49db and synced at 3500 on adsl on adsl2+ my att went up to 52.5 and I sync at 7043 down and 1170 up which is considerably better than adsl, and with no drop-outs so it can make a difference :)

Ray

21CN by 2020 anyone? ;D

Q1 2011 around here in the sticks, Rik.  :(
Ray
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Killhippie on Aug 12, 2008, 16:29:21
I had a att of 49db and synced at 3500 on adsl on adsl2+ my att went up to 52.5 and I sync at 7043 down and 1170 up which is considerably better than adsl, and with no drop-outs so it can make a difference :)

You're pretty lucky  :)  I think I'm doing well if I get a consistent 2000.  More often it drops to 1750 and with winter approaching it will most likely settle around 1500 as water gets in the ducts.  The village centre is fairly low lying and has always had problems. 

Philip

21CN by 2020 anyone? ;D
you think yours is bad, check out my exchange  :mad: :bawl:

BT Wholesale are no longer reporting a Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC) enablement date for the Penzance exchange (Was previously 19/05/2009) but Tiscali has enabled the Penzance exchange for their service aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Quote from: Tacitus on Aug 12, 2008, 17:41:26
You're pretty lucky  :)  I think I'm doing well if I get a consistent 2000.  More often it drops to 1750 and with winter approaching it will most likely settle around 1500 as water gets in the ducts.  The village centre is fairly low lying and has always had problems. 

Just the words winter approaching got to me from you post  :eek4: not already :'(

Tacitus

Quote from: Killhippie on Aug 12, 2008, 23:40:37
Just the words winter approaching got to me from you post  :eek4: not already :'(

Given the rain we've had round here I doubt anyone will notice much difference   ;D

Gary

Quote from: Tacitus on Aug 13, 2008, 08:11:07
Given the rain we've had round here I doubt anyone will notice much difference   ;D
:rofl: I know what you mean, we have had some huge amounts of rain. We are mostly over head wire and it was replaced about three years ago in a massive BT replacement of most of the overhead wiring in our village, adsl2+ for me so far is great but as you say alot depends on wiring, your own arrangement and quality of kit and the dreaded BT part of the equation. I found the broadcom chipset in my little DG834G v4 really worked much better than the V3 which used the AR7, horses for courses but it may just increase your speeds, but your village sounds like a wiring swamp hell sadly :( not fair when so many countries just went for fibre and gave up on copper.

Rik

Quote from: The Doctor on Aug 12, 2008, 21:01:39
you think yours is bad, check out my exchange  :mad: :bawl:

BT Wholesale are no longer reporting a Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC) enablement date for the Penzance exchange (Was previously 19/05/2009) but Tiscali has enabled the Penzance exchange for their service aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!

My sympathies, Philip. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Aug 13, 2008, 09:06:04
My sympathies, Philip. ;)
I think BT bit off more than they could chew with this 21CN changeover, and you know who will suffer as a result  >:(

Tacitus

Quote from: Killhippie on Aug 13, 2008, 08:48:07
.......your village sounds like a wiring swamp hell sadly :( not fair when so many countries just went for fibre and gave up on copper.

When we first moved here, admittedly some years ago, virtually every time we had any heavy rain all the phones went dead.  At least that doesn't happen now, so I suppose it's some improvement!

Gary

How can BT justify the prices they charge when you, as many others have such appalling lines which have joints leaking like sieves :mad:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Killhippie on Aug 13, 2008, 09:29:28
How can BT justify the prices they charge when you, as many others have such appalling lines which have joints leaking like sieves :mad:

The same way the Water Companies can charge what they like for stuff that falls out of the sky.. >:(

kinmel

I have fallen off the map too

12/08/2008     BT Wholesale are no longer reporting a Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC) enablement date for the Rhyl exchange (Was previously 19/05/2009)
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Inactive

Mine can't " fall off the map " it never got on it..  ;D

madasahatter

Rik

Looks like they have found things more difficult than they expected. It would be interesting to have an insider to talk to. :)
Rik
--------------------

madasahatter

Quote from: Rik on Aug 16, 2008, 12:01:30
Looks like they have found things more difficult than they expected. It would be interesting to have an insider to talk to. :)

Unfortunately, until BT's virtual monopoly is ended, things are never going to get any better  :(

I firmly believe that BT would have been out of business long ago if the telecoms market had been truly opened up.

Rik

Same with many of the pseudo-competitive services, Mad. :(
Rik
--------------------