Everything owned by Microsoft is down for me! MSN, Xbox Live, - the lot!

Started by netgem21, Aug 19, 2008, 18:22:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Ann

hellyl

Quote from: Ann on Aug 19, 2008, 22:44:02
MSN messenger is back for me.

wohoo, and for me too also hotmail is working for me.

Helen x

johnny5

Working for me now as well. :)

Look what idnet had to build to fix the problem! :o :rofl:

[attachment deleted by admin]

XR219

I don't think its fixed fixed.... up and down like a yoyo. Still can't get to live.com mail servers. Me suspects this is still being worked on.  :fingers:

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Cowie

just checked again and i'm getting

and then this,within a minute of each other

not very stable at all  :(

Ian

Simon

Quote from: The Doctor on Aug 19, 2008, 22:31:59
I'm expecting one of the forum staff to be along shortly, who may be able to shed some light on the matter :thumb:

Quote from: netgem21 on Aug 19, 2008, 18:35:57IDNet says the issues should be resolved hopefully by this evening, if not, the morning.

Sorry Doc, and everyone, but I know nothing more than we have been told earlier, although services do seem to be coming back sporadically now.  Hopefully things will be closer to normality in the morning.

Oh, and to all the new members - :welc:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

PetFish

//PetFish

PetFish

Just ran another test to make sure, seems pretty solid to me now! :) Good work!
//PetFish

Cowie

Ian

Steve

Agree download speeds have returned but still slow and intermittent with microsoft sites but at least I connect eventually today.
Steve
------------

Steve

From the network status page

We have as seen a sharp increase in traffic across our network this week, due to the popularity of the Olympics online. This is not only affecting our network but also many exchanges, Internet transit links, and other ISPs that we peer with are also affected. As a result, many users are likely to experience slower speeds than usual, especially during peak hours.

May explain the slow speeds last night,Unfortunately my eldest son so frustrated sneaked down last night and rebooted the router, I was reminded of pipex.However it does not give an explanation for the microsoft issue which is still on going ,my tracerts to them this am are still poor. I note another member last night was able to connect to microsoft via VPN through his company's connection whilst Idnet users had no connection.Surely that therefore needed an explanation from idnet if only to stop my son rebooting the router at the worst time of the day. My downstream attenuation is low, so sync not affected but for others tempted to reboot this might not have been the case.
Steve
------------

Rik

I have spoken to IDNet. I'm told that the problem lays at the Microsoft end of the chain, and is being experienced by other ISPs. One thing which might help is tweaking MTU.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Rik

Couldn't agree more, In, and it presents a dilemma for ISPs. This is the first Olympics when the iPlayer has been available, so there's no experience to have drawn on in terms of planning, and clearly demand has been much higher than any ISP expected. If this proves to be a one-off phenomenon every four years, there's no way that they can increase capacity 'for the duration'. That leaves them with a choice of apologising for the problem when it happens, or increasing capacity to cope regardless, which will mean increasing charges to pay for it.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

As if there wasn't enough coverage on the TV, every news item seems to relate to the bloody Olympics, even local news just needs to find some obscure link and they fill the slot with this dire rubbish.

Of course we have won more medals, almost all of the Lottery Funding has been thrown at it, some " good cause "..  ::)..The cycling team even have a " trick cyclist " travelling with them for Christ sake..  :rant2:

Why anyone would want to watch it via iPlayer is beyond my comprehension, perhaps it is time to have another look at iPlayer if it causes these problems.

( Rant over )..  ;D

net91

I've successfully connect to my windows live account via adium this morning.  ;D
Dan

Rik

Quote from: Inactive on Aug 20, 2008, 09:52:20
perhaps it is time to have another look at iPlayer if it causes these problems.

I share your feelings on the 'sport', In. As to iPlayer, I just wonder whether it will have to become a subscription service to be sustainable for ISPs?
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: net91 on Aug 20, 2008, 09:56:40
I've successfully connect to my windows live account via adium this morning.  ;D

So, signs of improvement?
Rik
--------------------

tomharrison

Also makes you wonder just how much money this is costing the BBC for the extra bandwidth to provide the live streaming, and just how much our licence fee will have to increase next year to recoup the cost...  :mad:.

I fully agree with what you say Rik about a temporary increase in bandwidth just to cover the Olympic games would be not be feasible without IDNet having to increase prices, but with all the talk of television broadcasts being moved to an IPTV format, the capacity is inevitably going to be needed at some point in the future.

Not that IDNet planning ahead will help since we are all stuck with BT Wholesale and I think it's fair to say that their network will simply collapse with more on-demand and HD streaming services cropping up :(
Tom
IDNet Home Max

vitriol

Rik

Couldn't agree more, Tom. The real solution is, of course, fibre to the home, and that's not going to happen for a long time, if at all.
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: Rik on Aug 20, 2008, 09:57:48
I share your feelings on the 'sport', In. As to iPlayer, I just wonder whether it will have to become a subscription service to be sustainable for ISPs?

I would very much hope that it does Rik..  ;)

Rik

Rik
--------------------