Extremely Slow

Started by Nutter, Aug 27, 2008, 20:48:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ray

Interesting article on Thinkbroadband by Andrew Ferguson about the effect of the Olympics on ISPs here
Ray
--------------------

Steve

Good article leaving the best till the end

When a popular TV show can have its audience measured in millions, one must question the amount of money being invested in online catch-up services, and whether it would be better spent on producing better content, or improving the quality of the picture broadcast to millions.
Steve
------------

Rik

Good link, Ray. I agree entirely with what AF is saying, the current infrastructure is not up to the job of TV on demand, nor does it make sense to use it in that way. The BBC et al would probably disagree though. :)
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: Rik on Aug 29, 2008, 13:15:22
Good link, Ray. I agree entirely with what AF is saying, the current infrastructure is not up to the job of TV on demand, nor does it make sense to use it in that way. The BBC et al would probably disagree though. :)

I agree as well, Rik, I can't see the need for it, there are plenty of better alternatives to enable you watch programmes at a later date, plus the majority of the rubbish they broadcast isn't worth watching any way.   :shake:
Ray
--------------------

Inactive

Quote from: badpianoplayer on Aug 29, 2008, 13:03:26
I read them and was surprised In but when i got in touch I have not had this experience so my confidence is still here. :fingers:

Likewise David, I have never suffered slow speeds or any problems at all, I have never spoken with anyone at support, in my nearly 2 years at IDNet, but when I read that many customers reporting similar problems, I believe that they do require explanation, I don't think that is being unreasonable.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

David

No not at all I agree entirely and hope that it all works out,support are on the case so with luck our fellow Idnet customers will have thier problems explained and resolved  :fingers: :thumb:
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

David

Have just recieved another Email and I appreciate the rapid response and replies thank you support  :thumb:
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Nutter

I've had another email from IDNet this afternoon, so I'm happy they're trying to get to the bottom of this.

Rik

Hopefully, the next few days will see problems settle down.  :fingers:
Rik
--------------------

Pistol

Evenin all. Ive not posted here for a while, back when i was with another ISP, enquiring about migrating here.. well i did :) It has been great! Until now heh.  I was pulling my hair out today wondering what was going wrong with my connection, really slow, then ok, then dropping out then slow etc. Swapped out routers, cables, filters etc. Then i read the issues some others are having here..

When i try to run the bt speedtest it reaches 96% complete, each time..then freezes.. :s Any ideas? Do i need to open certain ports on firewall?

Seeing as i cant run it, i couldnt contact support and i guess thats me fer the weekend now :s

Im on adslmax premium, line synched at 7000KB/s and have been achieving near that speed. Now it varies from 400 - 3000 instead of 6000 - 7000. Ping of 150 - 300 ish instead of 50-90 ish.

Anyho, glad to hear im not alone and glad to hear idnet are working on this because i had to leave my last ISP after they were not open and honest with us about capacity etc and it dragged on for months leaving us with cr*p connections and going bald from pulling our hair out in frustration ;)  My hair has grown back now and i hope to keep it! ;)

ps my exchange has a green light and its not internal wiring. Ill keep trying this btspeedtest check and report back if it works. (edit - ugh, i give up fer now, 96% each time..)

Cheers

What it is now.

What it was 1 week ago and should be.
B

ippylad

The reason why I had a rant is that Idnet didnt reply to emails.... But I had one from james today... Pointing me to this forum!!!! which as you say isnt anything to do with ident? And not to their own...

Having said that, I have also had one from Tim looking into why they did not get the emails.... so something come out of it!

Rik

Quote from: Pistoleer on Aug 29, 2008, 17:48:34
When i try to run the bt speedtest it reaches 96% complete, each time..then freezes.. :s Any ideas? Do i need to open certain ports on firewall?

The BT test is, sadly, potluck I'm afraid. Sometimes it works, sometimes it freezes. You can tell it comes from BT.  ;)

Now that IDNet have been able to identify the cause of the problem, they are re-balancing their centrals, so hopefully you will see normal service restore in the next few days. Meantime, keep trying the BT test (I find mornings are best), and check your router logs for any signs of multiple disconnections, which might impact on your profile.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: ippylad on Aug 29, 2008, 17:55:14
Having said that, I have also had one from Tim looking into why they did not get the emails.... so something come out of it!

The 'contact us' form, which might have been implicated in one 'no reply' is working OK on testing, so Tim is contacting anyone who has said they didn't get a reply to try and nail down what went wrong.
Rik
--------------------

shazzy

I've not noticed any slow down on gw5 and I sent in an email about something else today and was answered within half hour!  Now that is service! :D

Steve

If you cannot get your profile on BT speedtest. I have often wondered why when you place your phone number into the broadband checker on idnet site's and some others i.e fast. the estimated speed is the same as my profile.Coincidence I dont know?or how up to date it is I am not sure.
Steve
------------

Rik

AFAIK, Steve, the checker starts off as an estimate, based on the records for the line's length. When ADSL is activated, that data seems to gradually feed in until the figures converge.
Rik
--------------------

Pistol

Cheers Rik, ill try again late tonight and in the morning. Ye know, if ye got paid even 10p per post, ye would have earnt nearly 6 and half grand from Idnet. Even if they paid ye 50p per post they still would be onto a good thing heh.

Yep, Shazzy, after my disasterous ISP last time i spent ages looking around and listening to customers in many ISPS. I choose Idnet because it seemed to be the best. Yes i am paying double what i was paying before. Quality and great communication is worth that impo. So im content to wait a couple of days as Rik points out and take Idnet at their word as they have done well thus far.

re profile speed.. ah good point thanks. Yep, even though i cant finish the test, it started by saying 7000, then the 3rd time it said 6500.. hopfully its not a downward trend heh.
B

Rik

If IDNet paid me, I'd have to always be polite about them mate, it would spoil the fun. ;D

You may, from what you say, have a little instability on the line, which is causing your profile to flip between 6500 and 7000. The problem with BT's absurd system is that a 32k change in sync speed can cost you 500k in throughput - all to reduce their computer load. :(
Rik
--------------------

jaydub

Quote from: Pistoleer on Aug 29, 2008, 17:48:34

Yep.  Are you running Firefox by any chance?  Mine does that as well but works OK on IE7 or using IEtab within FF.

Hope this helps.

Rik

You're right, Jaydub. Despite what BT say, I've never had much luck with Firefox and the test, I always switch to IE.
Rik
--------------------

Pistol

Quote from: jaydub on Aug 29, 2008, 18:21:03
Yep.  Are you running Firefox by any chance?  Mine does that as well but works OK on IE7 or using IEtab within FF.

Hope this helps.

Cheers mate, much appreciated. IE worked while FF didnt heh :)

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Your DSL connection rate: 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  832 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6068 kbps

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/122003081524421212496.html

Since 6pm things have improved a lot actually.. not sure if that is a relevant time point or not?
B

Rik

Your profile is correct for your sync speed, your thoughput is pretty much spot on for your profile. It's entirely possible that IDNet's fix is beginning to show its effect, but we won't know for sure for a few days. You need to reach a sync speed of 7968 for the next profile step, btw. :)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Certainly my throughput is better tonight than it has been
Steve
------------

Rik

Sounds like the fix might be in, then, Steve.  :fingers: Certainly my ping times, the only thing I ever noticed, are back to normal.
Rik
--------------------