Mail Down Again?

Started by Tacitus, Aug 31, 2008, 15:04:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon_idnet

Hi Guys

We have failed to find any reason for the reported delays of yesterday afternoon. We could not replicate the problem and our logs showed no unusual levels of activity i.e. no spam floods yesterday.

We have seen that some of the big mail hosts: yahoo/google/msn (which also covers BT Internet etc) were slow in sending outbound mail yesterday. For example, on one of the tests that we did we found that Google took 14 minutes to forward a mail from their web server to their outbound SMTP server.

We have this morning found a phishing attack underway with the return address to one of our corporate customers. We have now placed filters to deal with this though.

regards
Simon

Rik

Thanks for the update, Simon.  :thumb: Oddly, the one member unaffected yesterday tested with Google, certainly 1&1 was being hit, and the delays seemed to be within a few minutes of three and a half hours consistently for all of us.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Hi Simon,

For the record, the incoming mail I found most affected was from my US based mail.com account.  Not sure what significance there is in that, if any.
Simon.
--

Steve

I did note also yesterday an email I sent from my domain hosted by easily.co.uk took a long time to appear into my inbox at work but nowhere near as long as the one to mymail@idnet.com
Steve
------------

Philip

all working fine now, thanks  :thumb:

madasahatter

Funny, but e-mails from hotmail to google and my work addy (nothing to do with either) were working fine yesterday afternoon while the problem was showing - certainly no delay in them sending those e-mails.