21cn at my exchange

Started by stevenrw, Jan 15, 2009, 15:40:39

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenrw

According to SamKnows, my exchange is upgrading in the near future
"BT Wholesale WBC have updated the enablement date for the Purley exchange to 31/01/2009 (Was previously 28/02/2009) "

What does that mean for me in practical terms as an IDnet user (Homelite)?

Rik

It means that, once IDNet's gigabit Hostlink goes live (soon), you will be able to volunteer to switch to the WBC-based service, Steve. Depending on your stats, that could mean significant speed increases. I don't know how the new packages will be priced yet, ie whether there will be a different set of packages for the up to 24Mbps connections.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

If you post your line stats, we could give you an idea of the speeds you could potentially achieve on the new platform. :)

stevenrw

Sebby
I normally just use the "Think Broadband" speed tester. Does this give you the level of detail you need?

Rik

No, we need the information from your router, specifically sync speed, attenuation and noise margin. :)
Rik
--------------------

stevenrw

OK, can you give me a link to the speed tester you'd use?

Rik

I rarely bother with a speed test, Steven. If I do, I use the BT one: http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/
Rik
--------------------

David

QuoteIt means that, once IDNet's gigabit Hostlink goes live (soon), you will be able to volunteer to switch to the WBC-based service, Steve. Depending on your stats, that could mean significant speed increases. I don't know how the new packages will be priced yet, ie whether there will be a different set of packages for the up to 24Mbps connections.

My Exchange is showing the same message  :-\
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

Get your name down as a volunteer, David.
Rik
--------------------

David

Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Simon

Simon.
--

David

:thnks: I will get my name down...as you know I suffer with such low speeds  :whistle: :whistle: ;D

Sebby

Remember you're going from a BT service to a BT service, so don't get your hopes up. :P

David

No chance of this Sebby,as I dont expect anything Im happy with my meagre 5.4 down and 4.1 up  ;)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

stevenrw

Yeah, I'd be delighted with 5.4 down, that'd be a big improvement on my 3.2....
As you suggest, I won't get my hopes up.

Rik

At 3.2, Steven, you're reaching that point on the graph where the two speeds merge.
Rik
--------------------

David

Dont all feel sorry for me at once now.......I hate sympathy  ;D

Rik

We weren't going to, David. ;)
Rik
--------------------

David

stevenrw

Quote from: Rik on Jan 16, 2009, 14:55:14
At 3.2, Steven, you're reaching that point on the graph where the two speeds merge.

Which means???

Rik

You'll get a small speed gain, but you certainly won't get 24Mbps. I can give you a more accurate prediction if you can post your stats.
Rik
--------------------

stevenrw

OK Rik, I'm at work at the moment - I'll run the BT thingy this evening and let you know.

Rik

You don't need to run the BT test, Steven, your router has the data we need.
Rik
--------------------

stevenrw

Can you talk me through how I get the data you need from the router please?
You are starting to realise I'm not very savvy at this stuff..