no-3-strikes-disconnection-for-uk-pirates

Started by somanyholes, Jan 26, 2009, 19:51:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Whatever they do, the pirates will find a way round it.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

D-Dan

QuoteIt's suggested that the agency would be financed by both ISPs and rights holders, and will assist in maintaining any new regulations. There are even suggestions that an additional charge on a customer's Internet bill could be added to enable contributions towards the music industry.

So rather than punish the pirates, it's now being suggested that those of us who don't D/L copyright material will pay for those who do!

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Sebby

Quote from: Simon on Jan 26, 2009, 20:58:07
Whatever they do, the pirates will find a way round it.

I agree with you there. When ISPs started blocking torrents/throttling, protocol encryption emerged. There's always a way around everything. The "pirates" are always one step ahead.

john

Quote from: D-Dan on Jan 26, 2009, 21:03:24
So rather than punish the pirates, it's now being suggested that those of us who don't D/L copyright material will pay for those who do!

Steve

That's likely to backfire as those who don't will see it as a green light to download copyright material if they are paying towards it anyway.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

esh

Don't mind the music industry. It's a bit like a really old and grumpy uncle.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Niall

I find it difficult to have sympathy for the music industry. In the last 20 years I've seen prices increase on several occasions for absolutely no reason what so ever, and they tried to fob us off with ludicrous reasons for it, which were proven on almost every occasion to be totally fictional (I forget the details now, but I remember there being a massive increase in the late 80s). Then you find out that the same companies are shafting the artists anyway, so people turned to copying tapes (I had a hell of a lot of tapes in the 80s!) rather than pay inflated prices.

This carried on with CDs and DVDs. It doesn't help when you've got high street shops like HMV charging £16 for a CD that you can buy online for £8, or a great example is the Metallica "Death Magnetic coffin" box set (awful album so no risk of me buying it!) which you can buy almost anywhere for £70. In HMV it's £105!

Is it any surprise at all that people constantly turn to piracy? Personally I would d/l an album to see if it's any good before buying it. If I like something I WILL purchase it, and to use an already overused phrase; the credit crunch makes money tight enough already, without companies adopting an almost cowboy approach to marketing.

The exception to this rule is if it's Eric Clapton stuff. Then I'll just buy it because I'm an E.C. fan boy :D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

I agree that the industry profiteers, especially in the UK, Niall. As with software, if you rip people off, they will tend to respond in kind.
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

Quote from: Niall on Feb 07, 2009, 12:31:21Personally I would d/l an album to see if it's any good before buying it. If I like something I WILL purchase it

Me too, Niall.  To my mind, that's not much different to going into a record shop in the 'old' days, and listening to an album before purchase.  If you didn't like it, you didn't buy it, much the same as if you don't like one you've downloaded, you would delete it.  I would always buy the real thing, because I also like the packaging, and having a 'real' CD to play.  I don't care what anyone says, MP3 sound quality is not the same.
Simon.
--