Some cannot even get 2Mb/s

Started by john, Feb 26, 2009, 12:38:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Nice to see we warrant a mention. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

The UK only struggles because of the ageing network. It reminds me of the Underground. It's old and obsolete, and needs a complete overhaul, not quick and sloppy repairs.

Rik

Same with the sewers in London, Seb. :(
Rik
--------------------

Lance

For which, outside the building I'm stood in at this very moment, work is being done to replace!
Lance
_____

Rik

I hope you brought a peg for your nose, Lance. :)
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Lance
_____

Sebby

esh

The DSL line in the rented house I occasionally stay at in coventry can't get 2Mbps and goes down on average 3.5 times a day. The exchange is absolutely shocking.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Can you tamper with the internal phone wiring?
Rik
--------------------

netn00b

i'm unfortunately one of the struggling ones who can't even get 2mb :(

so roll on BT investing in new quality infrastructure that will hopefully give me the choice/chance to have a better service.

Gary

I see new builds will get fibre to the house and everyone else will get fibre to the box, mines only 400 yards from me, but our exchange is so small I cannot see it being upgraded with even ISP's LLU set ups its all BT here, Im lucky to sync at 8128 at get a good throughput, but by the time they upgrade our lines I'll have problems finding the pc let alone using it, age does bad things to your memory ;)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

cavillas

It stems back to Worlds War 2.  Most of Europe had to rebuild the majority of its infrastructure from scratch, this country carried on with what it had and just built on top of it without modernising the base structures.  This legacy is what causes most of our porblems today.

Yes, it's time we rebuilt from scratch and maybe we now can with BT being given the go-ahead for installing Fibre to the box.  As usual, though, it will only be the big conuurbations that will benefit and the rural and smaller places will lag behind so causing a totally unfair situation again. :mad:
------
Alf :)

Gary

Quote from: cavillas on Mar 05, 2009, 09:52:33
It stems back to Worlds War 2.  Most of Europe had to rebuild the majority of its infrastructure from scratch, this country carried on with what it had and just built on top of it without modernising the base structures.  This legacy is what causes most of our porblems today.

Yes, it's time we rebuilt from scratch and maybe we now can with BT being given the go-ahead for installing Fibre to the box.  As usual, though, it will only be the big conuurbations that will benefit and the rural and smaller places will lag behind so causing a totally unfair situation again. :mad:
You would think they would upgrade the small exchanges this time around so making a more balanced scenario for high speed to small exchanges like mine in very rural areas, then upgrade the bigger ones, but money is the key as always so areas where people will pay maybe £50 a month on mass to get 40-100mbs is of course the ideal way to pull back the outlay for them  :mad:

talos

In rural areas like where we live it's just not going to happen, for one simple reason cost, to bury a cable into 10 miles of road just to serve two or three homes is simply not cost effective.  The only way as I see it is to go wireless, one cable to an antenna transmitting over 30 sq miles might just be feasible.

Gary

Quote from: talos on Mar 05, 2009, 10:54:09
In rural areas like where we live it's just not going to happen, for one simple reason cost, to bury a cable into 10 miles of road just to serve two or three homes is simply not cost effective.  The only way as I see it is to go wireless, one cable to an antenna transmitting over 30 sq miles might just be feasible.
There is a company doing that here talos, Kijoma. You can get 13mbs down and about 2 up but after sending loads of emails to them with no reply, and seeing the cost of roof top aerials for them it just seemed not worth it  :(

talos

I think we need someone with the clout of BT to take on something as big as this.  The private companies will only "cherry pick" the more lucrative like industrial estates etc.

Rik

We need the Govt to lay down a statutory requirement, Bob, and then fund it.
Rik
--------------------

john

Quote from: talos on Mar 05, 2009, 10:54:09

Quote from: Gary on Mar 05, 2009, 11:02:12
There is a company doing that here talos, Kijoma. You can get 13mbs down and about 2 up but after sending loads of emails to them with no reply, and seeing the cost of roof top aerials for them it just seemed not worth it  :(

I agree regarding the wireless connections but maybe the high cost is because it's only being done on a relatively small scale and they have little or no competition.

talos

I had a look on Kijoma website, it appears they only cover a part of London, and a very small part at that, we tend to be the forgotten part of the Uk over here in Wales :rant2:

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Rik on Mar 05, 2009, 11:55:24
We need the Govt to lay down a statutory requirement, Bob, and then fund it.

I couldn't agree more. The Internet has become so fundamentally important to everyone it is essential that the government wakes up and does something about our country's antiquated infrastructure.
zap
--------------------

Rik

Including sewers and water mains.
Rik
--------------------