Advice needed on new wireless router

Started by henryp, Mar 05, 2009, 15:18:46

Previous topic - Next topic

henryp

Hi to all, New member but been with idnet 3 years.
I/we are about to purchase a laptop but haven,t got much idea about a router. My set up is 2 meg broadband connection/ desktop connected through a vigor 2600v router.Have no idea how to set this up when the laptop arrives.Normal type semi detached property. Please not too techy as I,m quite a bit past retirment age

Thanks for any info  :)

Colin Burns

hi and welcome to the forum

this wont be the most helpful answer but some one will belong with a sensible one

you could always just use a cat5 cable to connect it

Glenn

Hi Henry  :karma: and :welc:

Like Colin says by far the easiest way is a network cable, but if you want a wireless solution, then I think you may have to buy another router or add a wireless access point to your current setup, as I believe your router is not a wireless route. I'm sure there are some folk using Draytek routers that will know far more about them than me.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Hi Henry.  :welcome: :karma:

As has been said, a long ethernet cable is the easiest and cheapest solution (these cables can be up to 100m in length). If that's not practical, you'll either need to get a new router, add a wireless access point to the existing one or use mains networking. The new router is probably the cheapest option.
Rik
--------------------

henryp

Thanks for all the replies.As I/we will be using the laptop downstairs the cable suggestion is out.So I am looking to buy a new router that I can connect to my desktop and use the laptop elsewhere in the house. All these figures 802 11g and everything are way above me. So what I,m asking is--any suggestions on what router to buy within resonable costs and of of course setting up etc;

Rik

Can you dig your line stats out from your current router, Henry? The ones we want are downstream sync speed, noise margin and attenuation.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Henry, I would suggest a 2wire 2700hgv from eBay, there are plenty of users here along with a guide on how to configure it http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=8927.0

Here is one example that is on eBay at the moment.
Glenn
--------------------

henryp

Quote from: Glenn on Mar 05, 2009, 17:33:42
Henry, I would suggest a 2wire 2700hgv from eBay, there are plenty of users here along with a guide on how to configure it http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=8927.0

Thanks. So if I had one of those  would I be able to connect it to the phone socket--then by a cable to my desktop--then laptop with wireless card already in connects through new router to internet??

Sorry about all questions

Rik

That's exactly it, Henry. You'd have to ensure that wireless was enabled, then set an SSID which means something to you but not to others, and enable WPA security, using a good secure key. Then, from the notebook, look for the network amongst those being picked up, click on connect and enter that same key (twice). Once you've done that the first time, it will connect automatically.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

Quote from: Glenn on Mar 05, 2009, 17:33:42

£2.20  :o :o :o :o might have a look at that myself.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Still a lot cheaper than anything in PC World. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Baz

yeah postage is a bit high, cant be that heavy.

i'd expect the seller to bring it to my house for that  :D

henryp

The one suggested went for £14 + postage. Does that seem the going rate? If I bid for one ,is there anything I should look for?

Thanks

henryp

Quote from: Rik on Mar 05, 2009, 17:32:53
Can you dig your line stats out from your current router, Henry? The ones we want are downstream sync speed, noise margin and attenuation.

Is this what you mean?

up speed    down speed   snr margin     loop att
288000        227200         20.5             31.0

Simon

Quote from: henryp on Mar 05, 2009, 20:16:01
The one suggested went for £14 + postage. Does that seem the going rate? If I bid for one ,is there anything I should look for?

Thanks

Hi Henry, and welcome again!

I'm afraid I'm no expert, but you should be looking for 'twin SSID', as these are the later models, and preferably boxed as new.  Don't pay more than £20 delivered, as they usually go for less than that.  :)

Someone will clarify this, but I think there may be an issue with the very latest software versions of these, so, if you can, try and spot one with software version: 5.29.107.19.
Simon.
--

Glenn

Another alternative, is to buy a pre-configured Netgear DG834G router from IDNet, these can be ordered via the shop in your customer login on the IDNet website https://www.idnet.net/secure/
Glenn
--------------------

Simon

That would actually be the safest, risk free option, Henry, if not the cheapest.  :)
Simon.
--

Rik

Your on a fixed-rate 2M service, Henry. Given your attenuation and margin, you might want to think about moving to a faster product. That aside, a pre-configured router will, as Glenn and Simon say, give you a minimum fuss solution.
Rik
--------------------

henryp

Quote from: Rik on Mar 06, 2009, 09:31:43
Your on a fixed-rate 2M service, Henry. Given your attenuation and margin, you might want to think about moving to a faster product. That aside, a pre-configured router will, as Glenn and Simon say, give you a minimum fuss solution.

Yes I,m on the 2 meg which at present suits our needs. I will give the idea of the netgear some thought.

Rik

My thought were that you could gain extra speed, up and down, at no extra cost, Henry. You'd probably get about 6Mbps on that line.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Well, I am trying to set up my NC10 at the same time. :)
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------