Can I set up 2 wireless routers in 1 house (one using WPA and the other on WEP)?

Started by cn1001, Apr 08, 2009, 21:55:44

Previous topic - Next topic

cn1001

Hello all,

As the subject heading says is this possible?

The reason being is that my son wants to connect his new DSi to the internet so that he can play games online. Although the DSi now supports WPA, it will only allow you to play original DS games online using WEP.

My main router is a Netgear DG834PN which is WPA encrypted and will remain so. The other router that I have is a Belkin Micradigital (2002uk) - this is the one that I would like to set up with WEP encryption.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Glenn

:welc: :karma: It can be done I think, but you would need to have the 2nd router as a wireless access point I believe. I'm someone will pop along shortly to provide more help
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Simon.
--

Steve

:welcome: :karma:

To set a second router up as an additional wireless access point is usually relatively straight forward. On the 2nd router you have to disable the DHCP server and the NAT firewall. It is recommended that you assign to this 2nd router a static IP address which is outside of the range of the possible IP addresses that can be allocated by the primary router DHCP server although with the netgear using the LAN IP setup menu you can ensure that it always gets the same IP address. A warning access through this wireless point if setup as above will allow access to the whole of your LAN with the reduced security of a WEP encryption. I personally cannot tell you how to prevent access from this additional access point to the rest of your LAN however others may have further advice.
Steve
------------

Lance

I think this can be done. The second router will have a cable running from its WAN socket to the first router's LAN/Netwok socket. The router will have to be configured in bridge mode i think.

Or just follow Steve's advice! Would a way of keeping the rest of the network safe be to assign the second router's IP to a DMZ zone?
Lance
_____

Sebby

I'm not sure if that would be necessary. DHCP will need to be disabled, and I think it will work if it is just connected to the Netgear router by ethernet.

cn1001

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will give this a go at the weekend.

The 2nd Router (WEP encryption) will only be switched on when my son wants to play his DSi online, so it won't be on permanently, which should help with the security of the network.

psp83

It can be done as i do it myself.

Main router downstairs is Netgear dg834g
Router is this room is Netgear dg834pn

The Netgear dg834pn has DHCP off, NAT off, Static IP (mine is 192.168.0.254), Wireless on.

The Netgear dg834pn is connected to the Netgear dg834g by ethernet.

As you can see, when i search for wireless access, i get PSP & PSP2.

You can also use it as a switch (my main reason)