Internet service and digital TV

Started by Moonshine, Apr 13, 2009, 10:37:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonshine

Being somewhat antiquated with technology, I am probably one of the few people left still on analogue TV :red:  Actually, I don't have a problem with this at all, but it seems the decision has been universally removed from personal choice, so it would appear I have no option but to move with the times  :)

Our digital switchover isn't until 2011, but I am now considering buying a Sky box, as I feel time is slipping by..... 

What I am keen to know, however, is whether having a Sky box installed, and a dish attached to the house, will have any adverse affect on my internet service.  I seem to recall having read on a few threads some time back that it can cause noise etc.  If I get a Sky box, is there anything I should be aware of in terms of internet service?

Alternatively, if we opted for a rooftop aerial, could that create problems with internet service???

Sorry for sounding so primitive, but.....I am! ;D

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rik

You shouldn't have any problems with either system. Sky has the 'advantage' of a greater number of channels (but not necessarily programmes), high def if you want it, and the easiest personal video recorder I have used. The disadvantage is an ongoing monthly sub, from £16.50 upwards.

Freeview will give you less channels and, imo, slightly lower quality picture. Against that, you pay no subs.

Installation costs vary. A good aerial for Freeview will cost you £150-225, depending on where you live. Unless you change your TV, you will also need a set top box. Sky will cost you a box plus an installation fee. This varies but, atm, the hi def box is £49.99 with a £30 installation fee.

Where Sky can cause problems is with a noisy modem connected to the phone line. That said, while it's a contractual requirement to connect the box to the phone line for 12 months, Sky do not generally enforce it unless you have a multi-room installation.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

My feeling is that Sky is the way to go if you'll make use of the channels you pay for.

As long as the Sky box is filtered (or you can most likely leave it unplugged anyway) you shouldn't have any issues. If it does cause noise problems, there's always double filtering. :)

Ann

Are you sure you actually want the extra channels that you get with Sky?  I went the Freeview route.  Forty quid for a set top box and that's it.  The aerial is fine and didn't need upgrading.  Actually I tend to watch more TV on computer with my TV card which also has Freeview. 

Den

No mention on here of Freesat which is the cost of a box and fitting and nothing else to pay for lots of channels, picture quality is excellent as well.

Quote from: Rik on Apr 13, 2009, 10:47:22

Freeview will give you less channels and, imo, slightly lower quality picture. Against that, you pay no subs.

I disagree with you there Rik, I have both Sky and freeview and picture is about the same on either (assuming you have a decent aerial). I am fed up of paying Sky's' prices so I might go for Freesat just for the HD channels.   ;D
Mr Music Man.

Rik

I did say imo, Den. I base my comparison on viewing Freeview and Freesat directly on the Panasonic TV, plus Sky via an RGB feed. I would rank Freesat an easy 1, with little to choose between Freeview and Sky. Sky HD, via HDMI, should be better than Freeview.

In terms of use, I certainly feel the Sky EPG is better than Panasonic's attempt, either Freesat or Freeview.
Rik
--------------------

David

I have both as well and find the picture quality on Sky is better although you could be right Den but on the other hand I can see the transmitter from my house so ariel isnt the issue.
Sky is in this area better quality...........................shame they broadcast the same tripe  ;D
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Moonshine

Looked at Sky web site.  You can get basic standard package incl. installation for £73 odd quid if you're a new Sky user.  Then you just cancel extra channels and contract once 3 months has passed, thereby you are not entering any contract and do not need to pay any monthly subscription.  Think that's the route I'll take, although I'm a bit miffed at having to supply Sky with my land line number (when I don't even want additional channels!) and my d.o.b (which I only usually give to my bank!!!).  Jeez, do they want my shoe size as well?!

Rik

Rik
--------------------

David

Yep they do....you may ned to have your phone connected to them for a while as well ,I took mine out but they did call a few times,but once out of cntract you can take the phone line out.
I think you made the right choice at this time....but the future will or may change this  :fingers:
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

JB

On thing to remember about paying a high price for a high gain aerial for Freeview at present.

When the existing analogue channels are switched off the power output of the existing Freeview channels will be increased 10 fold due to the extra transmitter capacity available and the newer channels will be the same. The new MUX frequencies will be set to be largely compatible with present regional aerials bandwidth. In theory that means that the majority of existing serviceable UHF TV aerials should work OK. If you are receiving a poor Freeview signal at present it might save the pennies to stay with analogue until switch over in your area.

That could save you paying what is IMO an exorbitant cost for a fitter to install a 'high gain' aerial.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

Rik

Good tip, JB. Though, technically, we can't get  Freeview at all, according to the website, with a high-gain aerial and a masthead amp, we have the full range of channels with excellent quality. I just didn't want to wait. :)
Rik
--------------------

JB

Quote from: Rik on Apr 13, 2009, 12:50:41
I just didn't want to wait. :)

Fully appreciate that Rik and many folk will be the same.

I am lucky that I can see Winter Hill from the roof of my home in Cheshire so a simple 10 element (el cheapo) aerial gives full strength on Freeview. However, I am tempted by Freesat as I have an old dish and LNB kicking around. Will need to check what extra channels are available.

I had $ky once in the analogue days but have never been able to justify the cost in the digital years.

JB

talos

My pennyworth---
                                  G0 with freeview and a digital disk recorder (PVR) cheaper and less hassle than SKY,  no contracts and they wont want to know your shoe size or what you had for dinner and programming a PVR is as easy as the Sky plus box and with twin tuners so you can watch one channel while you record another just like in the old VHS video days. If you are getting a good picture on analogue now, you probably wont need a new aerial.

Rik

Quote from: 6jb on Apr 13, 2009, 12:55:30
However, I am tempted by Freesat as I have an old dish and LNB kicking around. Will need to check what extra channels are available.

BBC HD and ITV HD, to name but two. ;)
Rik
--------------------

JB

Quote from: Rik on Apr 13, 2009, 15:51:35
BBC HD and ITV HD, to name but two. ;)

Thanks Rik. Will I need a certain type of satellite receiver to be able to receive/view HD? Sorry if this is quite a basic question but I am kinda out of touch with HD and all that stuff. I have a fairly modern Samsung LCD 32" TV which I hope will work OK. Sorry can't check the model number as I'm not there atm.

JB

merlin

SEBBY ,whats "double filtering" and how is it done ???

Rik

Two filters in series, Bob, plug one filter into the other, plug the phone etc into the 'socket end' of that chain, plug the BT plug into the wall socket.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: 6jb on Apr 13, 2009, 17:33:35
Thanks Rik. Will I need a certain type of satellite receiver to be able to receive/view HD? Sorry if this is quite a basic question but I am kinda out of touch with HD and all that stuff. I have a fairly modern Samsung LCD 32" TV which I hope will work OK. Sorry can't check the model number as I'm not there atm.

You'd need one capable of supporting HD, JB. In my case, it's built in to the TV.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby

Quote from: merlin on Apr 13, 2009, 17:43:04
SEBBY ,whats "double filtering" and how is it done ???

Sorry, I should have been more clear, but I see Rik has answered now anyway. :)

merlin

thx RIK SEBBY ,i tried that some time ago to reduce line noise but it did'nt seem to have any effect.

Rik

It only works if the filters aren't doing their job, Bob. If the filter is good, it should have no impact. The theory of double filtering is that if your filter is 90% efficient, ie letting 10% of ADSL through to voice (or vice versa), then a second filter in line should reduce that to 1%. At least, that's the theory. :)
Rik
--------------------

D-Dan

Before I add my two penneth, can I ask a question?

What's "TV"?

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Rik

:lol:

The code for Transylvania airport?
Rik
--------------------

vitriol

Rik,

If I were to try double filtering do I plug the phone into the first filter and the router into the second or vice versa?