It's me pings again / tech support

Started by ou7shined, May 25, 2009, 11:46:46

Previous topic - Next topic

ou7shined

Online gaming is just too laggy the last few day and my poor keyboard is taking the brunt of it so I finally had enough (pings have been getting worse and worse since joining) and finally contacted tech support.
No answer. The 1st time I actually phone them up and no one's at home. :red:
I think I heard on the news this morning that it is a bank holiday in England. Would it be worth trying an alternative means of communication or is everyone off to Alton Towers for the day?
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

j.baker

When my connection worked (see other thread) my latency has increased recently.

I used to get 12-17ms to a plusnet server.  I was recently getting 30-45ms....and then sometime 20-30ms.  Now I appreciate that this may be down to external factors.
Regards

John
Draytek 2820 ADSL Router (FW 3.3.2_RC5) + 3G connection

Rik

Did you leave a message on the out of hours number, Rich?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

ou7shined

Rik
Nope, to be honest I'd rather speak to a human and feel like somethng is being done.

I only tried 01462 476555. Is there a better number?

j.baker
My pings are currently anywhere from 60-160 from a steady 40-50.
When I first signed it was mid 20s. I'm syncing a whole meg less now too. :bawl:
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Rik

That's the only number you'll get today, Rich, leave a message and someone will get back to you.
Rik
--------------------

ou7shined

Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

ou7shined

Well I did as you said Rik and guess what? No one got back to me. It will be a week ago tomorrow that I left my details and brief explanation with them.

And now the situation has changed drastically. Resigned to a weekend of no gaming due to the ridiculous pings I haven't been near the PC much. I did note however during more mundane activities that pages were slow to load, updates were sluggish and youtube was unusable (I use Net-Meter and everything coming in barely registered on the graph). Seeing as my connection (pings aside) is usually a stable 6.4 megs sync these days (from 7.4 originally) I just put it down to traffic/contention.
Tonight I had enough an checked my router stats and....

Switched off the router (Voyager 205), back on, reset it then configured it as usual with my saved config file, then connect to the net and...

Same procedure again and....

I'm back up to 1 meg again now. Rediculous!
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Sebby

Sorry to hear that no one got back to you - get onto them again tomorrow.

Unless you've got a really long line, your sync rate is pretty poor, and very variable too, which would suggest a lot of noise on the line. Could you post your stats from the router?

Lance

Hi ou7shined, I'm sure someone will get back to you tomorrow  ;)

As for the problem at hand, is the sync any better pluged into the test socket? Also, could you try a different filter?
Lance
_____

ou7shined

Quote from: Sebby on Jun 01, 2009, 00:05:16
Sorry to hear that no one got back to you - get onto them again tomorrow.

Unless you've got a really long line, your sync rate is pretty poor, and very variable too, which would suggest a lot of noise on the line. Could you post your stats from the router?

How do I obtain them?
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Sebby

ou7shined

Quote from: Lance on Jun 01, 2009, 00:10:53
Hi ou7shined, I'm sure someone will get back to you tomorrow  ;)

As for the problem at hand, is the sync any better pluged into the test socket? Also, could you try a different filter?

Nope it actually went down again (800Kbps - not uncharacteristic for this problem though). Only have the 1 I'm afraid.
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

ou7shined

Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

ou7shined

Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Sebby

Right, well if those stats are anything to go by, something is seriously wrong. I'm assuming the local line attenuation is the downstream, and at 29dB, you should be achieving full sync easily. At the moment, the sync is way off of what it should be. I suspect your other problems are related. Do you have a master socket with a removable lower half?

Lance

I think it might be time for a new filter (or faceplate) just for elimination purposes!
Lance
_____

Sebby

I think the first thing to do, assuming there's an NTE5, is to try the test socket.

ou7shined

QuoteDo you have a master socket with a removable lower half?

Yes and the front is off and I'm plugged into the internal socket as per the previous suggestion.

Sorry I was a way for a bit there. I ran a BT test and....

I've only ever seen 6s and 7s in there before.
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Lance

In that case there is something seriously wrong with your line. As it is the same plugged in to the test socket, the first thing I would suggest is when support call you tomorrow, ask them to test the line, If that comes back fine, then I reckon you should try a new filter or get a filtered faceplate - adslnation ones come highly recommended.

The new filter might not sort the problem, but it helps to eliminate it. If the new filter doesn't sort it, I would be looking at trying a new router - maybe a friend or IDNet support could lend you one? Hopefully it won't come to that though!
Lance
_____

ou7shined

Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

ou7shined

I've found a new filter. No change. :(
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Rik

I think you need to try an alternative router, if that doesn't change things, then your line needs some serious attention.
Rik
--------------------

ou7shined

I had the router switched off all night, reset it etc this morning, connected and I'm still only getting 992 Kbps. :bawl:

What's a good router to get then?
I'm just round the corner from PC World and had a squint on their webby to see what they offer. The info provided on routers is inconsistent and quite frankly the highlighted features are insulting "can transfer documents, music files, ideal for online gaming" - funnily enough I was able to do all these on dial up. :eyebrow:
Rich.

Klaatu barada nikto!

Rik

I'd suggest asking IDNet if they could lend you a router initially. Failing which, look out for a 2700 on eBay, you should be able to get one for £10-15 delivered.
Rik
--------------------