Skype problem since router firmware upgrade

Started by bridgej, Jun 02, 2009, 19:43:55

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgej

Hi

Not sure if anyone can help me, but as I am switching to ADSL2 in a couple of days, I recently upgraded my Netgear Router DG834v4 firmware as suggested by Idnet (I've never bothered before).

Since updating the software on the router, my Skype phone has been causing problems. I can connect, make calls etc, but I cannot hear anything except garbled digital noise when the other person speaks, they apparently can hear me fine.

All my Skype settings remain the same as before and nothing is muted etc.

Can anyone suggest what I might need to do in order for me to hear on my Skype phone properly again, are there any settings on the router that might need to be changed? - I've already tried re-installing the phones driver software etc but with no luck. Throwing the phone at the wall (it's a cordless Phillips one) didn't work either, although it made me feel a bit better.

PuncH

Which version of the firmware did you upgrade to?

If it's 5.01.14 then that has been problematic for me with my xbox live on my DG834G V4. I've contacted Netgear about it who acknowledged there are issues with the firmware and they are working on it.

It may be that that firmware is also problematic on the DG834's.

I'm currently running 5.01.09 which has been spot on for several months now and I'm upgrading to ADSL2+ next week (should have been tomorrow but BT have delayed it by a week).

bridgej

Yes, I upgraded to V5.01.14 time to make a back track to an earlier version if I can find it. Will this cause problems with ADSL2+?

PuncH

Here's a link to the support page for your router (you ARE using the DG834 V4 yes? not the DG834G which is the wireless version)

http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2322

Click on the downloads tab and then click the "show all versions" box and it'll give you access to all previous firmware versions for that router.

I've been told by IDNet support that they've had no issues with netgear routers on ADSL2+ regardless of what firmware version they were running, so you (we) should be fine.

But then, there's always one  :-\

bridgej

Thanks, all sorted, now on the 09 firmware and everything is working again, now I wish I hadn't thrown the phone out of frustration :thumb:

PuncH

Nice one...glad I was able to help!

I also noticed that our routers use the same firmware so it wouldn't have mattered if you were on the wireless version or not!

Hopefully Netgear will fix the issues in their latest firmware sooner rather than later.

Sebby

One can hope, although my experience of Netgear's support is not good. Still, they admitted there's an issue, so that's promising. :)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Jun 03, 2009, 09:19:00
But not promising to fix it. ;D
All routers have bugs it seems, Rik  :( and new updates introduce new bugs, looking at the Linksys forum for their dual band routers there has been chaos, as far as Netgear I will not be purchasing another, with the new guarantees only one being year now, on the new products, and the issues people have had with the likes of the DGN2000 http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=33053 I think Billion or D link may be the way to go, maybe Linskys if they get their act together but I am not impressed with the reviews on the new kit, as I have said, one D link has an 11 year guarantee so Netgear are not even in the running now, I'm just glad my DG834N has two years, The 2700's are great but will not do much on my line as its so short, also I need UPNP (even if it is evil  ;) )
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

I never worry about guarantees, Gary, the Sale of Goods Act provides better cover.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.