Just upgraded to ADSL2 but can't connect

Started by silverblade, Aug 07, 2009, 23:40:39

Previous topic - Next topic

silverblade

Upgrade completed today, but my modem seems to still be connecting at 8mbps (ie, my old adsl max speed). Seems to sync but not against any adsl2 modulation settings...

And I can't actually connect to Idnet.

I thought by upgrading my connection is physically moved from one piece of kit to another at the exchange.

Which makes me wonder if idnet have turned off my adsl max login but bt have not moved my connection over? (I'm just guessing here)

The modem is a Linksys ADSL2MUE running the latest RouterTech firmware (so not the default Linksys one)

Is this likely to fix itself or do I need a new modem/router? If I need new kit, any recommendations?

I prefer something I can fiddle around with, eg decent firewall and such.

coreservers

sounds familiar. I was off for a week after my migration, before BT admitted they's screwed up. trouble is a lot of the exchange engineers, dont seem to know how to set it up properly. see if you can get idnet to send you a test router as well
If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that 'says something' about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality

dujas

AFAIK the move is a physical change to different exchange hardware, has the upstream sync speed changed at all? An upstream speed other than 448 or 832 kbps would indicate you are on ADSL2+.

Unfortunately as some of the 'stickied' posts on this forum will attest to, there is a varied assortment of issues that can occur in the transition from ADSL Max to WBC ADSL2+, so at this stage it's probably best to get in contact with support and let them work out what's going wrong, hopefully it's something simple :)

Simon

:welc:  :karma:

Sorry, but I can't add any more to what has been said.  I assume you've rebooted the router?  Unfortunately, IDNet is on 'emergency only' support till Monday, but if you ring and report that you've got no service, hopefully someone will attend to it sooner.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

onerob

Hi. I had this exact same problem, having just switched to IDNet.

I phoned this morning and the guy told me that there has been a bug which meant that some people were issued with incorrect usernames. He told me to change the last digit of my username from '7' to '5'. Having adjusted this on my router, I was connected within a minute.

silverblade

Hi, thanks for replies so far.

First thing I did was reboot the modem, then tried power off and on again.

Eventually I managed to get latest RouterTech firmware and flash that onto the modem.

Problem seems to be it happily syncs with modulation set to ADSL_G.dmt even when I choose MULTI_MODE. Doesn't sync at all when set to ADSL_2plus.

Upstream is showing as 832kbps and downstream 8128kbps. So by the look of things we're still hooked up to the old kit at the exchange?

How would I report no service on the weekend?

Simon

Call 01462 476556 and leave a message.  How are you connecting at the moment to post on here?
Simon.
--

silverblade

Posting on here using my mobile phone (htc magic). Also used this to download the firmware earlier. Can't use it as a modem for a PC sadly.

Simon

How do you find the phone?  I've been looking at the Touch Pro 2 and Touch HD.  How much Google influence is there on the Android system?
Simon.
--

Rik

Quote from: silverblade on Aug 07, 2009, 23:40:39
Upgrade completed today, but my modem seems to still be connecting at 8mbps (ie, my old adsl max speed). Seems to sync but not against any adsl2 modulation settings...

Hi and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma: Did you get a completion email from IDNet? If so, it does sound like BT screwed up the physical change at the exchange (not for the first time :().
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: onerob on Aug 08, 2009, 01:09:54
I phoned this morning and the guy told me that there has been a bug which meant that some people were issued with incorrect usernames. He told me to change the last digit of my username from '7' to '5'. Having adjusted this on my router, I was connected within a minute.

Welcome to the forum, Rob. :welc: :karma: If all else fails, it's also worth trying gw6, rather than gw5 or gw7. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Afterthought, Silverblade. If you're connected to a Huawei MSAN, the router might be part of the problem. Any chance you could borrow a different make? If you can get one, a Netgear would be the best bet.
Rik
--------------------

silverblade

Hi Rik,

I didn't receive a notification email, no... But whilst at work yesterday I checked my idnet package details a couple of times and did see it change from ADSL2 "no" to "yes". From that point on the modem and the exchange decided that they were no longer friends.

I was informed itd take up to 5 working days for BT to switch, yesterday was day 5.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who is on an ADSL2 service. So if it can be confirmed that the upgrade has gone all OK then I will go and buy a new router/modem.

I did have some issues when I first set up the connection whereby BT reported our number to idnet as being invalid, which took several phone calls to them before they realised the number needed a zero on the end (dialling worked with or without this). So I don't know if the engineer doing the work may have had some trouble identifying the right cable to unplug or something equally as trivial...

Are there any remote tests to see what my line is connecting to? And if its trying to log in using adsl max still?

My username suffix is gw5 and I'm guessing that will not change.

Simon - htc magic is quite cool. Onscreen keyboard can be a bit clumsy, sometimes. I can't really work out how "google ish" Android is... I find it enjoyable to use though and had been eager to get an Android powered phone for a while.

Rik

Yes, the line can be tested remotely and, if you call the out of hours number, James will get back to you. The fact you haven't had the completion email worries me slightly. That suggests that BT may not have signed off on the job. :(
Rik
--------------------

silverblade

Seems a pretty poor show to break something on a Friday and leave it like that over a weekend! :-\

I'll call in a bit, thanks for the help so far.

Rik

BT did the same to me when I joined IDNet, cut me off from Nildram but forgot to connect me to IDNet. Luckily, that was a Thursday, so it was sorted before the weekend.
Rik
--------------------

silverblade

Ok I called 01462 476556 but I just get a constant ringing. Did someone forget to turn on the voicemail or is nobody there right now?

Rik

Try 0800 701 2000. That's working for me. If you want a geographic number, it's 01462 476555. :)
Rik
--------------------

silverblade

I get "Sorry, but the users mailbox can't accept more messages" after it tells me to leave a message...

Rik

I've had a word with Simon Davies, you should be able to get through shortly. Meantime, bang off an email to support@idnet.net and mark it urgent.
Rik
--------------------

Ann

silver, you're confusing me and maybe others with your terminology.  As I understand it ADSL2 is the Max product and ADSL2+ is the newer product.  So I'm guessing you're talking about +.

Can someone confirm the terminology (or correct me)? 

Rik

TBH, Ann, I'm not sure as I've seen varying descriptions. The only certainty I have is that ADSL2+ is WBC.
Rik
--------------------

silverblade

Apologies for the confusion. When I say ADSL max I mean 8mbit connection. When I say ADSL2 I'm referring to 25mbit connection.

Rik I just sent a support mail from my phone, I have no way of marking its importance though. Fairly basic mail client.

Rik

OK. As I said, I've alerted Simon Davies, the MD, to the phone problem, so it might be worth giving that another try now. I'll send an urgent email alerting support to this thread in the meantime.
Rik
--------------------

dujas

ADSL Max = ADSL1 (ITU G.992.1 or G.DMT), WBC = ADSL2+ (ITU G 992.5).