My new connection.

Started by Ann, Aug 11, 2009, 18:21:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Ann

How's this then for an up to 8mb connection with Be ISP.. shhh don't tell..  ;D

Rik

Try the ThinkBroadband test would you, Ann?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Showing my ignorance, does the BT Speedtest not work with LLU?
Simon.
--

Rik

I don't think so, Simon, as it validates your phone number and login against its database.
Rik
--------------------

Ann

Rik

Thanks, Ann, that's pretty conclusive. What is your sync speed?
Rik
--------------------

Ann

sync is 11,059 kbps.  I can't find much info in the router.  I'm using their router as it's easier to set up and I took the easy way out.  It's a speedtouch 585 so I might stick with it anyway.

Rik

Curious, it looks like they haven't put you on the 8M package...
Rik
--------------------

Ann

Yes, it does look like that but I'm not surprised.  They seem to be a bit shambolic.  But I won't complain too loudly.  ;)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

quandam

Ann

Glad you are getting great speeds :thumb: Have you taken a look at the TBB Be forum? Take a look at the pages and pages and pages of posts re traffic management. Hopefully you will not be affected by the horrendous problems experienced  :dunno:

Ann

I read some of it before I signed up, couldn't wade through it all.  I must've missed the bit outlining the "horrendous problems".

But as I've said before, I don't care.  Cheap rubbish speeds is better than expensive rubbish speeds.  Cheap good speeds would simply be a bonus.

bobleslie

Quote from: Rik on Aug 11, 2009, 18:57:05
Curious, it looks like they haven't put you on the 8M package...

It's quite normal IIRC for new starters to be put on a faster package and then later be profiled down to the subscribed speed.

Expect the brakes to be applied at some point.  ;)
=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

dujas

As long as BE/O2 are open and honest about the future need for traffic management or download caps, I don't see the problem. It's when the ISPs try to be sneaky e.g. Plusnet and Entanet, that the customer relationship quickly deteriorates.

Technical Ben

I think, as regards the broad band usage, you are given "unlimited" on the first month, then they can see how much you download, and offer upgrades later. If you use only what your subscribed to, you don't get offered an upgrade.
However, Be/O2 have a good unlimited policy for all customers anyway. So perhaps they work on the speed and trying to get you to buy/ask for an upgrade instead?
"hello [Customer] this is Be, we notice you liked you free Up to 20MB [read 11mb ;) ] Service. Would you like to pay just £10 extra to keep this!?"
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Ann

You may well be right.  I've thought of that too.  I've also thought about my response which would be that the difference is not worth it.

Sebby

Ann

Here's an update and a question.  They have of course capped the line as I knew they would  and sync speed is now 8188 with throughput on any of the speed tests at any time of day being about 7mb which is fine.  Odd thing is though that the noise margin is now 6 and does go between 5 and 7 but with IDNet it was always 12 on a good day and on a bad day would go up to 15.  So what gives there?  Which part of the line is it measuring?

Lance

It is your line between your router and connection to the exchange. Maybe you now have a more noisy connection?
Lance
_____

Ann

Okay I thought that was the bit it was measuring but I think it's better now than before.  I get a higher sync and throughput anyway.

Lance

The higher the margin the better when you are syncing at the limit of your connection (eg 8128 on BT max). However, if your not, the lower the better down to 6db.

To me, your previous noise margin suggests instability which was picked up by BT's systems. Now you are clear of BT, your target noise margin has been reduced enabling you to sync higher.
Lance
_____

bobleslie

That's a pretty good line for what you're paying, Ann, so job well done.  ;)
=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

Sebby

Quote from: Lance on Aug 22, 2009, 20:27:22
It is your line between your router and connection to the exchange. Maybe you now have a more noisy connection?

I'd say it's more likely that Ann's target margin was forced at 15dB on BT, falling to 12dB when noise levels reduce. Be are not enforcing a target margin, hence it's always sync'ing at the default of 6dB.