Time to move to WPA2.......

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/28/wpa_60sec/

Rich

Plusnet :P

Rik

So WPA3 should be along soon then. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Sebby

David

Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Supanova

Is a MAC access list better than WEP provided you don't advertise your PC's MAC addresses?
"Privacy is dead, deal with it" - CEO Sun MicroSystems

Sebby

Apparently, MAC filtering does nothing. If you're using WEP, it's not going to make it any more secure.

somanyholes

Just read the paper and thought i might as well add the following. firstly wpa1 is not dead, just a little bit nearer to being dead. This is very similar to the old attack on wpa1, apart from a few things.

you now have the ability to sniff more data that previous (which wasn't much in the first place)
qos doesn't need to be enabled on the router to do this, which the previous attack relied on.

This attack does not provde you with the wpa key! It purely allows you to look at some more data. If your concerned about this, just setup a vpn over your wireless connection.

I'm sure at some point wpa/tikip will die, but not yet.

The more characters you use for wpa the better. at least 16 chars is a good thing, think maxiumum chars is 63.
Don't use a default ssid as you will just be making life easier for the attacker, the reason being is that attackers have things like this http://www.offensive-security.com/wpa-tables/
use a vpn for your wireless!

Gary

Quote from: badpianoplayer on Aug 28, 2009, 19:09:19
Mines turned off anyway  ;D
Your wireless? How does the laptop communicate with the router then?
Damned, if you do damned if you don't