Any Problems Today?

Started by psp83, Sep 28, 2009, 11:05:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Burns

call IDnets normal number and have a pen ready.

i take it you have checked all the cables to to router etc etc

Rik

0800 701  2000 or 01462 248 0092.

To save you some time, because this is what IDNet will ask you to do, have you:

a) Plugged the router into the master socket or, if you have an NTE5 - the type where the bottom part of the faceplate can be removed - plugged it into the test socket which is revealed when you remove that faceplate?

b) Unplugged everything but the router from the phone line?

c) Tried with another router  or modem if you have one?

Good luck.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Colin Burns

Pinging idnet.net [212.69.36.10] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=189ms TTL=59
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=180ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 212.69.36.10:
    Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 180ms, Maximum = 189ms, Average = 184ms

things are looking up but will hit hold or will my throughput fall off the wagon again

netn00b

thanks Rik/Colin

i will have a look into it. i'm guessing at this time of night i am unlikely to get anything sorted.

i dont have the new nte5 faceplate. and the main socket as i understand it is in the kitchen, we are on an extension box where the 2 pc's are located.

we dont have anything normally apart from the router plugged in. we dont actually have a normal phoned plugged in more than 1 time in 100 as we always use mobiles.

i dont have another router.modem though to try....

Rik

Make the call, whoever's on tonight will do their best to help you.
Rik
--------------------

Fox

So when idnet get the extra capacity from IPStream Connect will they be offering compensation to their loyal customers who have had to endure the sub-standard service for the last 3 months?....I think I already know the answer.....
True power doesn't lie with the people who cast the votes, it lies with the people who count them

Wags

There is hope to anyone still getting high pings....on my third reboot of today I am now at full sync and ping has dropped back to 15ms. I hope it stays like this for a while :fingers:

Rik

Quote from: Fox on Sep 28, 2009, 19:54:58
So when idnet get the extra capacity from IPStream Connect will they be offering compensation to their customers who have had to endure the sub-standard service for the last 3 months?....I think I already know the answer.....

As you know, I don't work for them and just try to act as a conduit for information. You'd have to ask them directly, but I think I know the answer too.
Rik
--------------------

Simon_idnet

We've been struggling with one of our Centrals today that failed briefly this morning. It has since had double the normal number of sessions connected to one VP whist the other has only had 50% of the normal volume of connections running through it. BT will not help with this and so we are going to have to manually drop the connected sessions in order to try to get the balancing correctly again. We'll do this early tomorrow morning to minimise disruption. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Simon

Rik

Thanks for the update, Simon. :)
Rik
--------------------

Niall

When do you think the government will step in to demand BT actually do what they're supposed to be doing?
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Colin Burns

about the same time we have someone that has a clue about wat they are doing...

oh and my ping times are starting to fall on the floor again

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\jk>ping idnet.net

Pinging idnet.net [212.69.36.10] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=122ms TTL=59
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=137ms TTL=59
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=114ms TTL=59
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=154ms TTL=59

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 114ms, Maximum = 154ms, Average = 131ms

C:\Documents and Settings\jk>

jonathancox

I am now in a position to offer sympathy to you all, having had my Be LLU connection activated today.

My Idnet line stats on WBC (atten 39db, SNR margin 9db, typical sync of 9000 down and 900 up; full depth interleaving; IP profile of 7150 or 8000) have given me a ropy and inconsistent throughput of...well, very little for the last three weeks, with very regular resyncs.

Suffice to say that my speedtests have often given me a higher upload than download!

My Bethere connection is right now synced at nearly 11000, with throughput of 1.1Mbps. Same kit, same socket, same everything as on Idnet this morning. That's better!

Whether the recent problems have been down to congested Idnet centrals or BT's 'underdimensioning' farce, I'm sorry to have left Idnet after 2.5 years. But it's not been a good experience on WBC since June, and I don't see any improvement on the horizon.

best to you all!

glen

Quote from: Niall on Sep 28, 2009, 20:41:24
When do you think the government will step in to demand BT actually do what they're supposed to be doing?
Never. Too many shares involved. :evil:
They must find it difficult...
Those who have taken authority as the truth,
Rather than truth as the authority

karvala

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Sep 28, 2009, 20:05:15
We've been struggling with one of our Centrals today that failed briefly this morning. It has since had double the normal number of sessions connected to one VP whist the other has only had 50% of the normal volume of connections running through it. BT will not help with this and so we are going to have to manually drop the connected sessions in order to try to get the balancing correctly again. We'll do this early tomorrow morning to minimise disruption. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Simon

That's good to know; I've come home and discovered high pings and slow speeds as well, and it saves a lot of time wasted rebooting routers, troubleshooting connections etc.. if we know there's an external cause.  With that in mind, can I gently point out that http://www.idnet.net/support/status.jsp is still doing an impression of the band on the titanic.  I've talked about this before; a service status page is absolutely no use if it doesn't reflect the current service status; it's actually counter-productive in that case.  Clearly the broadband status should not be "Good Service" with a green light, it should be "Reasonable Service" with an orange light and an explanation, to save potentially thousands of people fiddling around with their routers.  Come on guys, set the service status page properly in future.

Simon_idnet

We have cleared all sessions on that Central and have seen them reconnect with almost perfect balancing now :)
Thanks
Simon

Lance

Thanks for the update Simon.
Lance
_____

Gary

Shame about the page status though :(
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Lance

Lance
_____

psp83

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Sep 29, 2009, 04:48:55
We have cleared all sessions on that Central and have seen them reconnect with almost perfect balancing now :)
Thanks
Simon

Cheers Simon,

But high pings are back again  :(

Tracing route to www.idnet.net [212.69.36.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  www.routerlogin.com [192.168.0.1]
  2    93 ms    68 ms   109 ms  telehouse-gw2-lo2.idnet.net [212.69.63.55]
  3   105 ms    91 ms    84 ms  telehouse-gw3-g0-1-400.idnet.net [212.69.63.243]
  4   113 ms   137 ms   112 ms  redbus-gw2-g0-1-331.idnet.net [212.69.63.5]
  5    88 ms    91 ms   109 ms  redbus-gw1-fa2-0-300.idnet.net [212.69.63.225]
  6   109 ms   109 ms    95 ms  www.idnet.net [212.69.36.10]

Trace complete.

Ninny

Restarted my router and it's same old same old:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7100]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Steven>ping www.idnet.net

Pinging www.idnet.net [212.69.36.10] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=59
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=188ms TTL=59
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=147ms TTL=59
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=486ms TTL=59

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 486ms, Average = 212ms

C:\Users\Steven>

Useless!

Rik

I've had a word with Simon today, following this morning's 'nuke option', and he is happy that their network is re-balanced and has sufficient capacity. All I can suggest is contacting support.
Rik
--------------------

psp83

except for the period of high pings earlier, mines been fine.

Would check now but got alot of traffic going through my home network at the mo that will cause pings to go high.

Massive backups going on!! pain in the arse!!!

Rik

If only backups weren't necessary... :)
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: Rik on Sep 29, 2009, 18:21:59
If only backups weren't necessary... :)

I'm getting ready for windows 7.

Got 3 laptops and 3 pc's to upgrade, so thought i would do a fresh backup from all.. Big mistake  ;D