Advice on a new router...

Started by AvengerUK, Mar 02, 2007, 22:09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

AvengerUK

Finally decided to splash out on a new router, my current one is giving me a few headaches!

Im currently using a ZyXel 660-H, as it has proved good for my long line. However, in setting up port forwarding, and alike, it can be 1) unstable and 2) very difficult/time comsuming. I am therefore, looking for a router which, is still decent on a long line (AND for MAX and keeping sync, although im not currently on max anymore, it doesent nesecerily mean i wont go back "in the future!")

ive used the following thus far:

Safecom 4114
Safecom SART2-4115 (was v impressed by this one! - hower it had some minor issues!)
USR-9003 - Such a bad buy..
Zxcel P660H - current

Any advice on routers is much appreciated!

jupiter

Well I don't know about port forwarding - in the realm of black arts for me, but I have compared two routers on my long noisy line (57db attenuation).

A Netgear DG834 was good at holding sync but it displayed very wayward SNR stats.  A Speedtouch 546 v6 holds sync just as well, down to 1db, and can be used with DMT.

I suspect you may be after something less basic than either of those though.

Lance

Quote from: jupiter on Mar 02, 2007, 23:18:48

A Netgear DG834 was good at holding sync but it displayed very wayward SNR stats. 

i think that is the router rik uses for his long line.  :)
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

It is, Lance, both a DG834v2 and a DG834G v3 have proved very successful for me, while my Draytek 2600+, which was fine on fixed-rate, was not so good with Max. It makes giving anyone a recommendation so much harder these days. Of course, I have to admit additional bias as Netgear sponsor Northampton Saints. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

old Bill

I found the D link DSL 2740B works  wonders on my line. Now that BT have done some tweaking my D/S SNR is 6.1 during the day and down to 4.5 in the evening. And no loss of sync. It is Draft N but you can turn that off. you can find out more  from
http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=1&Sub2=2&PID=294

rireed3

I like the Speedtouch 585v6 for three reasons.

First reason:
It has a very good reputation for hanging on at low noise margins and, unlike what I've read about the Netgear DG834, has a very steady reading of noise margin which seems to make the stats more trustworthy.

Second reason:
It has full function debug functions which are available to DMT 7.31.   I've attached an example of the output with a completed 12-hour SNR margin monitor.

Third reason:
I have read that if you use the DMT 'noise margin tweak' (modemoptions tab in the image), you can save your 'margin to be requested' in the 585v6, but in the Netgear it gets lost on reboot.

I didn't really need the wireless, but I find it convenient and it can be turned off.  Only cost an extra fiver or so.  I paid £50 delivered for the 'A' side on dslsource, but it can be had cheaper as the 'B' line, no mfr. guarantee, 30-days from dsldepot.

Richard

[attachment deleted by admin]