Failed Router

Started by wecpcs, Oct 30, 2009, 20:13:22

Previous topic - Next topic

wecpcs

On Monday evening at exactly 10pm I lost my broadband service although all lights on my Netgear DG834G v4 router were on. After a complete power cycle  of the Netgear revealed no ADSL light whatsoever, so I assumed BT working on my exchange. The following morning I contacted Idnet twice to be ultimately told that BT could find no fault and that my router appeared to be not powered up. I was advised to try the test socket all to no avail and I even borrowed a neighbours Netgear router, same model but ver.3 and that showed the ADSL light, proving my router had failed. So using their PC, I surfed the the net for a replacement and settled on a Billion Bipac 7401NX as it had wireless N as well as 4 1000 Mbps ports.
The router duly arrived on Wednesday and I had it up and running quickly, but while I was configuring it for my Windows Home Server a capacitor in my 600w PSU on my PC failed, quite dramatically. So after a useless trip to PC World in Rochester, I ended up buying a 700w PSU from Maplin in Maidstone.
Later that day I had it up and running again, but I found all the lights except the power light kept going off every now and again, so I at first assumed a faulty router, but later it was found to be a faulty Realtek on board network card, obviously taken out by the failed PSU, but luckily my ASUS motherboard had a second on board network card a Marvell Yukon. Once I connected to that everything was then fine, but because of the high number of router reboots over a short period of time, my sync has now dropped from its normal 8128/448 to 7616/448.
So will this recover on its own over a period of time or will I have to contact Idnet. I also notice that I have interleave turned on, whereas I think it was off before, so could that be because of the number of reboots.

Here are my current router stats.

Parameters
DSP Firmware Version    E.25.41.55 A
Connected    true
Operational Mode    G.Dmt
Annex Type    AnnexA
Upstream    448000
Downstream    7616000
Elapsed Time    1 day 3 hr 41 min 48 sec
SNR Margin(Upstream)    26 dB
SNR Margin(Downstream)    9.5 dB
Line Attenuation(Upstream)    13.0 dB
Line Attenuation(Downstream)    27.5 dB
CRC Errors(Upstream)    2
CRC Errors(Downstream)    0
Latency(Upstream)    Interleave
Latency(Downstream)    Interleave

Colin

MisterW

QuoteSo will this recover on its own over a period of time or will I have to contact Idnet. I also notice that I have interleave turned on, whereas I think it was off before, so could that be because of the number of reboots.
No, it won't improve on it's own. The drop in sync is due to interleaving being turned on. Most routers will only sync at a max of 7616 with interleaving on, unless they can support S 1/2 mode. So to get your sync back to 8128 you need to get interleaving turned back off.

Lance

Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

Quote from: MisterW on Oct 30, 2009, 20:21:12
No, it won't improve on it's own. The drop in sync is due to interleaving being turned on. Most routers will only sync at a max of 7616 with interleaving on, unless they can support S 1/2 mode. So to get your sync back to 8128 you need to get interleaving turned back off.

Or interleave was already previously on, the Netgear dg834g supports the  S1/2 mode and the Billion doesn't ? So hence the sync difference.
Steve
------------

Rik

Either way, talk to support, they'll be able to help. What a week you've had!  :eek4:
Rik
--------------------

wecpcs

Quote from: Rik on Oct 31, 2009, 09:32:41
Either way, talk to support, they'll be able to help. What a week you've had!  :eek4:

Nothing compared to your 2 week spell in hospital. I hope you are taking it easy for the time being and keep taking the DR tablet. :eat:

Colin

Rik

The pneumonia has returned, Colin, so not feeling terribly bright today, but there's a fillet steak with my name on it tonight, and we've just had the latest re-stock from DR. :)
Rik
--------------------