Very Slow Connection

Started by net91, Dec 15, 2009, 18:16:59

Previous topic - Next topic

T_M_D

Quote from: Gee on Dec 19, 2009, 21:13:58
I just checked it now and its FULL of noise, sounds like it's a TV crackling when all the programs are finished at night. ..

Maybe I should call BT now (if they are there) and ask them to check the line while this noise is on.
Thanks!

Hi Gee,

I had a similar problem a few months ago and so did all my neighbours and in the end it turned out to be waterlogged cables underground. BT came out and dug up the road near my house (they didn't tell anyone of course). I found out because I awoke one morning to find my line completely dead and I just happened to look out of my window and there they were, their vans parked and men in yellow jackets. I went over to talk to them and they told me they had to clear out all the water as everyone in my village was suffering from bad crackling noise on the line and they had just discovered the reason was waterlogged cables. I would definitely report it straight away to BT.

Tina.
Tina

Glenn

Gee by underground, I mean just that the line goes into the ground outside your home, not via an overhead cable.

Call BT and report the noise on your line, hopefully they will find a fault on the line to fix.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

And don't mention ADSL, Gee, or they will try and get you to deal with it via IDNet. Dial 17070 and select option 2. If that's noisy, report the voice fault. Xmas lights do cause problems, especially those with chase sequences. I would advise you to get rid of the frog and use a router, though, that will help stabilise your line in the long term.
Rik
--------------------

net91

Very quick post, as I'm short of time today.

Things are still looking good today, problem solved??

Dan

Rik

I wish I knew. For some it seems, but not for others.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I agree mine's being pretty dire all afternoon
Steve
------------

Rik

I think we should all set up fibre links between each other to smooth out the vagaries of BT. ;)
Rik
--------------------

tehidyman

Quote from: Rik on Dec 20, 2009, 09:54:35
And don't mention ADSL, Gee, or they will try and get you to deal with it via IDNet. Dial 17070 and select option 2. If that's noisy, report the voice fault. Xmas lights do cause problems, especially those with chase sequences. I would advise you to get rid of the frog and use a router, though, that will help stabilise your line in the long term.

I have just tried this and get a steady, low intensity frying noise but no snap. crackle or pop. Is this considered OK or noisy?

Rik

Can you try it with a different phone, preferably a simple, wired phone? If it's still there then, it's not normal.
Rik
--------------------

net91

Quote from: Rik on Dec 19, 2009, 18:47:46
:fingers:

I sincerely hope so, because BT's original 'fix' date of January 13, was plain absurd.

Sorry, what was this this fix date for?
Dan

Rik

The Peterborough MUX fault.
Rik
--------------------

net91

Dan

Steve

Do adslmax users via ipstream connect use the 21CN nodes? Just wondering  as I am a sometimes struggling adslmax user near Peterborough.
Steve
------------

Rik

Not yet, afaik, Steve.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Just checked, definitely not, Steve, so  any problems need to be reported separately to support.

They are, for those affected, expecting an earlier fix from BT than January 13.
Rik
--------------------

net91

Quote from: Rik on Dec 20, 2009, 18:07:13
I think we should all set up fibre links between each other to smooth out the vagaries of BT. ;)

I'll get started...  :thumb:
Dan

Rik

;D

If only it was possible...
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

net91

IDNet emailed me yesterday saying that BT informed them my local exchange's bandwith was within normal levels.

Speeds were all ok as of this morning (at work now). I've attached the results of a BT Speed Test which appears to show everything is working ok.

Additionally I ran a speedtest.net and pingtest.net test while connected via my usual router (Netgear DG834G v5), with the results indicating a normal connection.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/659762191.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/6088030.png

Results from my other router (D-Link dsl 2640b) were similar (although pingtest.net couldn't measure packet loss on this router). The BT Test wouldn't run at the time I had this router connected.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/659779175.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/6088854.png

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dan

Rik

That all looks fine, though I'd do my own ping testing to be sure.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Download speedachieved during the test was - 855 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

I have had continued dialogue with Brian@support and in essence BT says this acceptable,I say it is not,I joke about my only LLU option TalkTalk but what other options do I have? Will a migration to say AAISP change my VP?
Steve
------------

Rik

Not necessarily, Steve. BT really do take the Michael with their acceptable speed range, don't they. :(
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Hopefully via Brian I'll manage to keep pestering them.
Steve
------------

Rik

Having heard Brian lay into BT, all I can say is be patient. Once they recover from the tongue lashing, hopefully they will get their fingers out.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I have little choice other than to be patient. I don't fancy an 18 month trial with TalkTalk although they do suggest speeds of up to 14mbps. I wouldn't mind chancing another VP though.
Steve
------------